ncurses-ruby on cygwin
Author Message
 ncurses-ruby on cygwin

I am trying to install ncurses-ruby on cygwin, which all the docs
indicate should work just fine.  when executing extconf.rb I get:

checking for unistd.h... yes
checking for /usr/include/ncurses.h... no
checking for ncurses/curses.h... no
checking for /usr/include/curses.h... no
./extconf.rb:35: ncurses header file not found (RuntimeError)

Even though the header file exists in /usr/include

I tried modifying extconf.rb to hard code in the absolute path but that
didn't work... what do I need to do to get this to work?

culley

Sat, 10 Dec 2005 13:48:45 GMT
 ncurses-ruby on cygwin

Quote:
> I am trying to install ncurses-ruby on cygwin, which all the docs
> indicate should work just fine.

Yes. Last time I tried, it did work.

Quote:
>  when executing extconf.rb I get:

> checking for unistd.h... yes
> checking for /usr/include/ncurses.h... no
> checking for ncurses/curses.h... no
> checking for /usr/include/curses.h... no
> ./extconf.rb:35: ncurses header file not found (RuntimeError)

> Even though the header file exists in /usr/include

If it really exists in /usr/include, then it means your compiler does not
look there.

Maybe you are not using the ruby interpreter built by cygwin. You have to.
You cannot use cygwin to build ruby extensions for a ruby interpreter
built with another compiler.

Or you have multiple installations of cygwin.

Try executing extconf.rb as

/usr/local/bin/ruby extconf.rb

from your bash prompt.

  Tobias

Sat, 10 Dec 2005 16:08:50 GMT
 ncurses-ruby on cygwin

Quote:

> If it really exists in /usr/include, then it means your compiler does not
> look there.

> Maybe you are not using the ruby interpreter built by cygwin. You have to.
> You cannot use cygwin to build ruby extensions for a ruby interpreter
> built with another compiler.

I have never installed with Win32 Native Ruby-- only Cygwin

Quote:
> Or you have multiple installations of cygwin.

> Try executing extconf.rb as

> /usr/local/bin/ruby extconf.rb

> from your bash prompt.

Ruby was installed in /usr/bin rather than /usr/local/bin.  This
installation was done using the cygwin setup.exe on June 8 so I am
fairly current.  I have a sym link at /usr/local/bin/ruby because this
is where it is on my other systems...

culley

Sat, 10 Dec 2005 16:17:43 GMT
 ncurses-ruby on cygwin
On Tue, 24 Jun 2003, culley harrelson wrote

Quote:
> Ruby was installed in /usr/bin rather than /usr/local/bin.  This
> installation was done using the cygwin setup.exe on June 8 so I am
> fairly current.  I have a sym link at /usr/local/bin/ruby because this
> is where it is on my other systems...

I did not know that cygwin has a ruby package by now. Nice.

What Error message do you get for

bash-2.05b$ cat >check.c
#include <ncurses.h>
int main;
bash-2.05b$ `ruby -r rbconfig -e 'print Config::CONFIG["CC"], " ",
Config::CONFIG["CFLAGS"]'` check.c

(produce a check.c file that includes #<ncurses.h>; and try to compile
that file with the C compiler and CFLAGS that ruby knows of.)

Maybe the precompiled ruby from cygwin has problems. You could try to
recompile ruby yourself.

  Tobias

Sat, 10 Dec 2005 16:51:22 GMT
 ncurses-ruby on cygwin

Quote:
> What Error message do you get for

> bash-2.05b$ cat >check.c
> #include <ncurses.h>
> int main;
> bash-2.05b$ `ruby -r rbconfig -e 'print Config::CONFIG["CC"], " ",
> Config::CONFIG["CFLAGS"]'` check.c

> (produce a check.c file that includes #<ncurses.h>; and try to compile
> that file with the C compiler and CFLAGS that ruby knows of.)

This produces:

check.c:1:21: ncurses.h: No such file or directory

ruby is using gcc...  gcc check.c produces the same results so maybe it
has nothing to do with ruby?

Quote:
> Maybe the precompiled ruby from cygwin has problems. You could try to
> recompile ruby yourself.

I am stuck in cygwin for another week or two and then I will be back on
a real unix box-- I will probably just wait.

culley

Sat, 10 Dec 2005 18:28:23 GMT
 ncurses-ruby on cygwin
Hi,

At Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:28:23 +0900,

Quote:

> check.c:1:21: ncurses.h: No such file or directory

You don't install libncurses-devel package.

--
Nobu Nakada

Mon, 12 Dec 2005 08:44:36 GMT

1. Linking Ruby to C++ via SWIG in Cygwin: missing ruby.o

2. Linking Ruby to C++ via SWIG in Cygwin: missing ruby.a

3. help with ncurses - if anyone can give me a simple ncurses program

4. ncurses-ruby 0.7

5. ruby-1.6.8-preview4 compile fails in ncurses

6. ncurses-ruby 0.6

7. ncurses and ruby

8. Is there any Ruby app using ncurses?

9. ncurses in ruby

10. ruby and ncurses

11. NT build problem, Cygwin 1.1.2, Ruby 1.4.4

12. Ruby now comes with Cygwin installer