Thanks Andy,
--
bil < http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~kleb/>

Sat, 24 Apr 2004 21:18:16 GMT
 Great metaphor

Quote:
Mikkel Bruun writes:

    >Andrew,
    >
    >I was unable to attend you and Dave's tutorial at JAOO...(was next door
    >listening to Fowler)...
    >Is it possible to get access to the material???

Let me check on that -- I think so.

    >How do you see the general response to Ruby at JAOO?? Did people like it??
    >Hate it???

Loved it.  We had *very* positive reponses.  The attendees were grateful
at the things that Ruby made easy, and in awe of how much they could
accomplish with so little typing.  Really, the web server thing was
the kicker.

We had a lot of exercises during the presentation, which helped.
People were actually *smiling* while coding, which I thought
was fairly novel.  Certainly not something you see often while
coding, say, Java or C++.

One of the attendees was a highly placed Perl person
who was quite smitten with Ruby.  I fear his advocacy may
endanger him in the Perl community :-), but it really made
a big impression on him.

So overall, I think it was quite a big hit.

/\ndy

--
Andrew Hunt, The Pragmatic Programmers, LLC.
Innovative Object-Oriented Software Development and Mentoring for Agile Methods

--
Books by Andrew Hunt and David Thomas:
   "The Pragmatic Programmer"(Addison-Wesley 2000), "Programming Ruby"(AW 2001)

Sun, 25 Apr 2004 22:30:07 GMT

1. Great Forth book at great new price

2. Logo Competition - Great Fun _ Great Prizes

3. Design by Metaphor

4. what is the best metaphor for this?

5. Looking for Killer Metaphor

6. Mixed Metaphors (Was: Are Forth Chips RISCs?)

7. Metaphor Revisited

8. LOGO-L> Spatial metaphor for Superturtle

9. Programming Metaphors

10. Oberon windows metaphor shift.

11. metaphor and programming

12. L4: Lifestreams, Living Metaphor, Linda on the Web, LISP