GUI class reloading testrunner for TestUnit?
Author Message
 GUI class reloading testrunner for TestUnit?

Hello All,

Is there a GUI testrunner for Test::Unit that dynamically reloads the test
code every time you push the "run" button?  Having to restart the GUI
testrunner every time I change something in the test just seems to defeat
the purpose.

I have experimented with Test::Unit::UI::Fox::TestRunner, and got it to work
with Ruby 172 after downloading the newest Test::Unit code from CVS.  It
doesn't seem to reload code, though.  I have to close and restart the fox
testrunner GUI to see it pick up my changes to the test code.

Am I doing something wrong?  Is there a better GUI to use?  Is the feature
just not there yet?

Thanks!
-Steve-

Fri, 11 Feb 2005 06:33:07 GMT
 GUI class reloading testrunner for TestUnit?

Quote:

> Is there a GUI testrunner for Test::Unit that dynamically reloads the test
> code every time you push the "run" button?  Having to restart the GUI
> testrunner every time I change something in the test just seems to defeat
> the purpose.

Drool before your request ... in Python!

        http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?PyUnitTestBrowser

If anyone would like to back me up I'd try to do the same in Ruby. But of
course the file reload thingie uses a back-door into Python.

But the most important feature is this: When you change your source, the
tests trigger. This turns your Save button into the test button. All
testrunners should have this feature available. If the

(If you zilch and reload the testrunner - this used to be called a "chain"
- it would come up on top of your editor. PUB ensures your editor always
keeps the keyboard focus during the tests.)

--
  Phlip
        http://clublet.com/c/c/why?ZenoBuddhism

Fri, 11 Feb 2005 06:52:37 GMT
 GUI class reloading testrunner for TestUnit?

Quote:

> Is there a GUI testrunner for Test::Unit that dynamically reloads the test
> code every time you push the "run" button?

No, not that I am aware of.

Quote:
> Am I doing something wrong?  Is there a better GUI to use?  Is the feature
> just not there yet?

Not there yet AFAIK, see Nathaniel's response in,

 http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/36342

--
Bil

Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:17:35 GMT
 GUI class reloading testrunner for TestUnit?

Quote:

>> Is there a GUI testrunner for Test::Unit that dynamically reloads the
>> test code every time you push the "run" button?

> No, not that I am aware of.

>> Am I doing something wrong?  Is there a better GUI to use?  Is the
>> feature just not there yet?

> Not there yet AFAIK, see Nathaniel's response in,

>  http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/36342

Another solution:

The Gui Test Runner displays the test list and the results, but at test
time it uses popen, runs a console test runner, passes the output to the
real console, collects the results, and pumps these into a list box.

A private version of my PyUnitTestBrowser does this. The only insect is
when you add a new test method you still need some aggressive reload system
to put its name into the test list. (Grepping the source would also work
here.)

--
  Phlip
           http://www.greencheese.org/DontPlanDesigns

Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:38:45 GMT

1. Dynamical class reload in Java

2. How to change class instances behavior via reload?

3. reload causes unbound methods to fail for old class instances

4. [ST/X] SUnit Modifications 2.7.5 and TestRunner

5. TestRunner does not work

6. PyGtk TestRunner for PyUnit?

7. ** APS (GUI) opportunity ** APS (GUI) ** APS (GUI) Experience required

8. Porting some GUI classes from VW3.x to VW5i.4

9. Smalltalk GUI Classes

10. Needs GUI-Testsuit (classes) for Visual-Smalltalk3.01

11. Involuntary posting - Re: GUI Classes in Personal Edition?

12. GUI Classes in Personal Edition?