Ruby definition
Author Message
 Ruby definition

Having been away from Ruby for a couple of years, I have a few
questions...

(1) Where is the "official" definition of Ruby?

(2) I have seen pages mentioning at least one "Ruby in Ruby"
implementation. What is the status of this/these?

(3) I have also seen a mention of a "Ruby in Java". Is there one?

(4) Finally, what about a dotNET Ruby? I have not seen a mention of
this, but it is more difficult to search for given Microsoft's screwy
choice of terms.

Thanks,
Patrick

Sun, 31 Jul 2005 11:03:23 GMT
 Ruby definition

Quote:

>Having been away from Ruby for a couple of years, I have a few
>questions...

>(1) Where is the "official" definition of Ruby?

It seems to be the source.  I think Rubicon is a rather nice definition
as well, but it's far from being the "official" definition.

Quote:
>(2) I have seen pages mentioning at least one "Ruby in Ruby"
>implementation. What is the status of this/these?

As far as I know, any effort has stalled.  Matju was working on MetaRuby
and Robert Feldt was working on Ruby VM (to name a couple of potentially
related projects), but neither is actively maintaining the code.

Quote:
>(3) I have also seen a mention of a "Ruby in Java". Is there one?

http://jruby.sf.net

Quote:
>(4) Finally, what about a dotNET Ruby? I have not seen a mention of
>this, but it is more difficult to search for given Microsoft's screwy
>choice of terms.

I know that work has started, but I have the same problem you do in
trying to find it now.

Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:02:21 GMT
 Ruby definition

Quote:

> Having been away from Ruby for a couple of years, I have a few
> questions...

> (1) Where is the "official" definition of Ruby?

> (2) I have seen pages mentioning at least one "Ruby in Ruby"
> implementation. What is the status of this/these?

> (3) I have also seen a mention of a "Ruby in Java". Is there one?

> (4) Finally, what about a dotNET Ruby? I have not seen a mention of
> this, but it is more difficult to search for given Microsoft's screwy
> choice of terms.

> Thanks,
> Patrick

Dear Patrick,

read this http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/20020101.html :-)

Szymon Drejewicz

Sun, 31 Jul 2005 16:38:57 GMT
 Ruby definition

Quote:

>> (1) Where is the "official" definition of Ruby?

> read this http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/20020101.html :-)

And I was so hoping the situation had changed over the last couple of years.

Sigh.

Signing off...

Mon, 01 Aug 2005 09:53:53 GMT
 Ruby definition

Quote:

> >> (1) Where is the "official" definition of Ruby?

> > read this http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/20020101.html :-)

> And I was so hoping the situation had changed over the last
> couple of years.

It has indeed! (I personally couldn't catch up w the new developments :-).
But the ruby community (thru Matz leadership) has managed to keep Ruby
inline w Ruby philosophy (less Ruby loses its own identity ).

Quote:
> Sigh.

> Signing off...

cheers :-)
-botp

Mon, 01 Aug 2005 15:50:53 GMT

1. Query on macro definitions within macro definitions within...

2. pthread trouble with ruby-opengl on FreeBSD (was: Re: [announcement] Ruby 3D Ruby)

3. Ruby books (Ruby NG FAQ, Ruby FAQ, home page)

4. RFD: comp.lang.ruby (getting Ruby out of comp.lang.misc)

5. Ruby: Ruby/Tk widget demo

6. ruby-lang.en older than ruby-lang.ja

7. Russian Ruby resource and Ruby Course

8. RUBY NEWSGROUP FAQ -- Welcome to comp.lang.ruby!

9. Ruby Tuesday - Sydney Ruby Users' Group Meeting

10. Ruby/Tk update (for Ruby 1.8.x)

11. Ruby-GOME2-0.5.0, Ruby/GtkSourceView-0.1.0