user management...unix...via ssh?
Author Message
 user management...unix...via ssh?

I'd like my first Ruby project to be simple user-mangement program
which uses ssh (preshared key part is already working).

Has anyone written anything close or does anyone have any suggestions?
I'd eventually like to have it grant "sudo" permissions as well...
and longterm store all in an SQL database.

thanks,
todd

--
"This UI has been brought to you by the letters 'S' and 'K', and the runlevel 3."
                                                - Greg Andrews

Tue, 02 Nov 2004 03:10:22 GMT
 user management...unix...via ssh?

Quote:

> I'd like my first Ruby project to be simple user-mangement program
> which uses ssh (preshared key part is already working).

> Has anyone written anything close or does anyone have any suggestions?
> I'd eventually like to have it grant "sudo" permissions as well...
> and longterm store all in an SQL database.

ruby supports the `shell command here` syntax.  This could be a quick
way of connecting the ruby script to the commands you want it to
execute.

Have fun!

~ Patrick

Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:33:02 GMT
 user management...unix...via ssh?
We (my work) drive our functional tests for a distributed system using
Ruby scripts.  It seems like every line is a back-tick to ssh to do
something interesting on some other box.  Works like a charm.  Just
have to remember to check for errors, as neither system nor backtick
automatically do anything interesting when the shell command fails.
We usually end up using a little function that does whatever backticky
thing we want and throws an exception if it doesn't work -- then we
can stop having to check $? all the time.

We use key exchanges, as Patrick suggested, as well as sudo privileges
on the remote boxes (or just ssh in as root.  Sometimes laziness wins
in the battle to get a functional test written).

  Wayne Conrad

Quote:

> > I'd like my first Ruby project to be simple user-mangement program
> > which uses ssh (preshared key part is already working).

> > Has anyone written anything close or does anyone have any suggestions?
> > I'd eventually like to have it grant "sudo" permissions as well...
> > and longterm store all in an SQL database.

> ruby supports the `shell command here` syntax.  This could be a quick
> way of connecting the ruby script to the commands you want it to
> execute.

Tue, 02 Nov 2004 14:42:53 GMT

1. User management with different type of user

2. SSH via Expect disconnects

3. running ssh from an expect script via abrowser

4. POSITION OFFERED: Smalltalk, Unix, Network Management

5. UNIX Process Management

6. Configuration Management ... on Unix

7. Configuration Management for Ada on Unix

8. unix management with expect-tcl scripts through a web page

9. Ada/X User Interface Management Systems

10. User Interface Management System

11. papers on memory management for allocatable components of user-defined types

12. User Interface Management Systems on Smalltalk