HPUX and ruby 1.8preview2 compile error
Author Message
 HPUX and ruby 1.8preview2 compile error

I'm trying to compile ruby 1.8-preview2 for HPUX 11.0.  I get these errors if I
use GCC 3.2 or cc.

First, in strftime.c:
#ifdef SOLARIS
extern long timezone, altzone;
#else
extern int timezone, altzone;
#endif

should be modified such that HPUX is also defining timezone as a long (like
SOLARIS).  The following worked for me on both compilers but it might not be
the right way:

#if defined(SOLARIS) || defined(__hpux)
extern long timezone, altzone;
#else
extern int timezone, altzone;
#endif

When that problem is corrected, then altzone shows up as an unresolved symbol
when trying to link miniruby:

cc:
cc -g  -Wl,-E main.o dmyext.o libruby-static.a -ldld -lcrypt -lm   -o miniruby
/usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
   altzone (first referenced in libruby-static.a(eval.o)) (data)

gcc 3.2:
         gcc -g -O2  -Wl,-E main.o dmyext.o libruby-static.a -ldld -lcrypt -lm
-o miniruby
/usr/ccs/bin/ld: Unsatisfied symbols:
   altzone (first referenced in libruby-static.a(eval.o)) (data)
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Any suggestions?  We've been happily using a CVS snapshot from over a year ago
but just found a bug in our snapshot in the marshaling module, so must now
upgrade :(

--
---------------------------------------------- | ----------------------
Brett Williams                                 |

---------------------------------------------- | ----------------------

Mon, 12 Sep 2005 00:44:05 GMT
 HPUX and ruby 1.8preview2 compile error

B> Any suggestions?

 It's corrected in the CVS version, perhaps you must use this version

Guy Decoux

Mon, 12 Sep 2005 00:52:40 GMT
 HPUX and ruby 1.8preview2 compile error

Quote:

> B> Any suggestions?

>  It's corrected in the CVS version, perhaps you must use this version

Thanks for the quick response, I will try that immediately.

Mon, 12 Sep 2005 01:06:24 GMT

1. Hurd and ruby 1.8preview2

2. compile errors w/f90 on HPUX 10.20

3. Python 2.1 compile error on HPUX

4. Tcl/Tk Compile Error - HPUX 9.0

5. Error compiling tk4.1 shared libraries on HPUX

6. error compiling ruby-libxml

7. HPUX compile problems

8. Compiling PHP 4.2.2 with Apache 2 from HP for HPUX 11i

9. compiling gnome-python under hpux

10. Tips, compiling with HPUX C++

11. HPUX to IBM RS6000 Compiling *.F Files

12. HPUX 10.2 compiling problems