Ruby Newbie: installing RUDL problem
Author Message
 Ruby Newbie: installing RUDL problem

Hi,

I'm diving into Ruby and trying out RUDL. I used the Ruby173-6.exe 'one
click install' for windows to set up Ruby. I then installed RUDL, and tried
the samples. They failed with an error of missing mswin32-ruby17.dll. My
Ruby173-6 distro doesn't have that dll, it has msvcrt-ruby17.dll instead. I
removed the 173-6 install and tried the Ruby172-1 install and that one
contained the mswin32-ruby17.dll that RUDL needs. My question why the name
change in the dll, I didn't see it mentioned the release notes?

-Pedro

Sun, 22 May 2005 10:47:50 GMT
 Ruby Newbie: installing RUDL problem

> I'm diving into Ruby and trying out RUDL. I used the Ruby173-6.exe 'one
> click install' for windows to set up Ruby. I then installed RUDL, and tried
> the samples. They failed with an error of missing mswin32-ruby17.dll. My
> Ruby173-6 distro doesn't have that dll, it has msvcrt-ruby17.dll instead. I
> removed the 173-6 install and tried the Ruby172-1 install and that one
> contained the mswin32-ruby17.dll that RUDL needs. My question why the name
> change in the dll, I didn't see it mentioned the release notes?

I don't know the reason for the dll name change but recently in
[ruby-talk:57001] Martin Stannard gave a URL that had many versions
of RUDL built for the various dlls...
( http://froukepc.dhs.org/rudl/download/binary/ )

Hope this helps,

Bill

Sun, 22 May 2005 13:40:02 GMT
 Ruby Newbie: installing RUDL problem
Hello pedro,

I had exactly the same problem except that I did not
get the 'missing mswin32-ruby17.dll' message on WinMe.
I found the missing dll problem using the dependency
walker application suggested by Bill. I am not playing
with RUDL for now. I do not want to install a lower
version of Ruby just to get RUDL to work, am afraid
other libraries I am using with Ruby may not work. But
I am curious, did RUDL work with the lower version of
Ruby install that has the correct dll?

TIA
Ramesh

Quote:
> Hi,

> > I'm diving into Ruby and trying out RUDL. I used
> the Ruby173-6.exe 'one
> > click install' for windows to set up Ruby. I then
> installed RUDL, and tried
> > the samples. They failed with an error of missing
> mswin32-ruby17.dll. My
> > Ruby173-6 distro doesn't have that dll, it has
> msvcrt-ruby17.dll instead. I
> > removed the 173-6 install and tried the Ruby172-1
> install and that one
> > contained the mswin32-ruby17.dll that RUDL needs.
> My question why the name
> > change in the dll, I didn't see it mentioned the
> release notes?

> I don't know the reason for the dll name change but
> recently in
> [ruby-talk:57001] Martin Stannard gave a URL that
> had many versions
> of RUDL built for the various dlls...
> ( http://froukepc.dhs.org/rudl/download/binary/ )

> Hope this helps,

> Bill

=====
Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD
Assistive Technology & Neuroscience Research CenterNational Rehabilitation Hospital
102 Irving St., NW
Washington, DC 20010
202-877-1932 phone ext 1935
202-723-0628 fax
www.ramloll.com

Sun, 22 May 2005 22:44:32 GMT
 Ruby Newbie: installing RUDL problem
Hi Ramesh,

Yes, the RUDL samples worked when I installed the one-click Ruby172-1.exe
package.

-Pedro

Quote:
> Hello pedro,

> I had exactly the same problem except that I did not
> get the 'missing mswin32-ruby17.dll' message on WinMe.
> I found the missing dll problem using the dependency
> walker application suggested by Bill. I am not playing
> with RUDL for now. I do not want to install a lower
> version of Ruby just to get RUDL to work, am afraid
> other libraries I am using with Ruby may not work. But
> I am curious, did RUDL work with the lower version of
> Ruby install that has the correct dll?

> TIA
> Ramesh

> > Hi,

> > > I'm diving into Ruby and trying out RUDL. I used
> > the Ruby173-6.exe 'one
> > > click install' for windows to set up Ruby. I then
> > installed RUDL, and tried
> > > the samples. They failed with an error of missing
> > mswin32-ruby17.dll. My
> > > Ruby173-6 distro doesn't have that dll, it has
> > msvcrt-ruby17.dll instead. I
> > > removed the 173-6 install and tried the Ruby172-1
> > install and that one
> > > contained the mswin32-ruby17.dll that RUDL needs.
> > My question why the name
> > > change in the dll, I didn't see it mentioned the
> > release notes?

> > I don't know the reason for the dll name change but
> > recently in
> > [ruby-talk:57001] Martin Stannard gave a URL that
> > had many versions
> > of RUDL built for the various dlls...
> > ( http://froukepc.dhs.org/rudl/download/binary/ )

> > Hope this helps,

> > Bill

> =====
> Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD
> Assistive Technology & Neuroscience Research CenterNational Rehabilitation
Hospital
> 102 Irving St., NW
> Washington, DC 20010
> 202-877-1932 phone ext 1935
> 202-723-0628 fax
> www.ramloll.com

Mon, 23 May 2005 06:22:30 GMT

1. Fixing RUDL C extension and Ruby for Visual C

2. installing ruby on linux: simple newbie question

3. Problems installing cvs ruby to user dir

4. Problems installing FX/Ruby

5. Ruby/Qt2 install problem

6. Problem: Installing Ruby for Windows !

7. Problem in Installing Windows Ruby 1.6.3

8. ruby 1.6 install problem on AIX and HP (PR#59)

9. Newbie Install/education center problem

10. Newbie : Python install MIME type problem (I think)

11. newbie ?: Tkinter install problem on Linux

12. Newbie Windows Install Problems