Unicode GUIs on Windows
Author Message
 Unicode GUIs on Windows

For anyone who's interested in developing GUIs that use Unicode, I'm
translating a post I made to the Japanese ruby mailing list just now.

Quote:
> I want to make a GUI program that writes Japanese characters. Which
> GUI toolkit (FXRuby, Tk, FLTK, etc.) should I use?

I tried various GUI toolkits. My conclusions:

FOX: Has no Unicode support.

FLTK: Unicode support is bad. For example, if there is Unicode text in
a Fltk::Input field, the cursor positioning is incorrect.

Tk: Even a simple program that uses Ruby/Tk is too slow. I think it's
because Ruby/Tk doesn't call Tk directly; it calls it using Tcl/Tk.

Qt: A good toolkit that supports Unicode. Execution speed is fast. But
when distributing a Ruby/Qt program, I also have to distribute
qt-mt230nc.dll(2,715,648b) and qt2.so(1,744,965b).

Ruby/Qt is still an Alpha version, but that is mostly not a problem.
Other than that and the problem of distribution, I think Ruby/Qt has
no weak points.

Speaking of the distribution problem, FOX also requires
fox.so(4,464,709b). In the case of FLTK, it only needs
rubyfltk.so(649,216b). If FLTK's Unicode support is completed, it will
be a good thing.

Sat, 09 Apr 2005 03:38:12 GMT
 Unicode GUIs on Windows

[snip]

Quote:
> Speaking of the distribution problem, FOX also requires
> fox.so(4,464,709b). In the case of FLTK, it only needs
> rubyfltk.so(649,216b). If FLTK's Unicode support is completed, it will
> be a good thing.

What about GTK? I think GTK2 supports Unicode. Is there support for
GTK in Ruby?

What about wxWindows, too? What stage is wxRuby at?

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

"Da grande lotter per la pace"
"A me me la compra il mio babbo"
(Altan)
("When I grow up, I will fight for peace"
 "I'll have my daddy buy it for me")

Sat, 09 Apr 2005 06:17:13 GMT
 Unicode GUIs on Windows

Quote:
> What about GTK? I think GTK2 supports Unicode. Is there support for
> GTK in Ruby?

There's a project called Ruby/GTK
(http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/raa-list.rhtml?name=Ruby%2FGTK) that
seems to be usable, although not complete. However, GTK doesn't work
on Windows.

Quote:
> What about wxWindows, too? What stage is wxRuby at?

According to http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxruby/ they haven't
released any files yet, so it's vaporware at this time.

Sat, 09 Apr 2005 07:53:39 GMT
 Unicode GUIs on Windows

Quote:

> > What about GTK? I think GTK2 supports Unicode. Is there support for
> > GTK in Ruby?

> There's a project called Ruby/GTK
> (http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/raa-list.rhtml?name=Ruby%2FGTK) that
> seems to be usable, although not complete. However, GTK doesn't work
> on Windows.

There is a Windows port of GTK. Do you have first hand knowledge that
it doesn't work?

--
Matt Gushee                 When a nation follows the Way,
Englewood, Colorado, USA    Horses bear manure through

http://www.havenrock.com/   When a nation ignores the Way,
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)

Sat, 09 Apr 2005 08:14:56 GMT
 Unicode GUIs on Windows

Quote:
> > GTK doesn't work on Windows.

> There is a Windows port of GTK. Do you have first hand knowledge that
> it doesn't work?

GTK+ 1.3 and 2.0 work on Windows, however they're both quite unstable
(freezing/crashing occasionally). My first hand experience is from
forcing my friends to play FreeCiv with me on their Windows boxes. ;)

--
Greg McIntyre

http://puyo.cjb.net

Sat, 09 Apr 2005 08:33:30 GMT
 Unicode GUIs on Windows

Quote:

> What about wxWindows, too? What stage is wxRuby at?

wxRuby is still a little ways off. We have a very alpha wxRuby working under
Windows (with some problems), and it has yet to tried on other platforms.
After the Ruby conference we are going to build a test harness and create a
suite of tests to help weed out the bugs and aid in testing on other
platforms.

Bottom line.. its coming, but its not here yet.

Curt

Sat, 09 Apr 2005 10:05:12 GMT
 Unicode GUIs on Windows

Quote:

> > What about wxWindows, too? What stage is wxRuby at?

> wxRuby is still a little ways off. We have a very alpha wxRuby working under
> Windows (with some problems), and it has yet to tried on other platforms.
> After the Ruby conference we are going to build a test harness and create a
> suite of tests to help weed out the bugs and aid in testing on other
> platforms.

> Bottom line.. its coming, but its not here yet.

> Curt

If you need testers for Linux, I could help. Is it hosted anywhere yet?

--
Alan Chen
Digikata LLC

Sat, 09 Apr 2005 10:40:23 GMT
 Unicode GUIs on Windows

Quote:

> > What about GTK? I think GTK2 supports Unicode. Is there support for
> > GTK in Ruby?

> There's a project called Ruby/GTK
> (http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/raa-list.rhtml?name=Ruby%2FGTK) that
> seems to be usable, although not complete. However, GTK doesn't work
> on Windows.

It does. I'm using at least three programs that run under GTK: xchat,
the Gimp and Sylpheed-Claws. Yes, they aren't hard-rock stable, but
more or less functioning.

Quote:

> > What about wxWindows, too? What stage is wxRuby at?

> According to http://sourceforge.net/projects/wxruby/ they haven't
> released any files yet, so it's vaporware at this time.

No stuff in the CVS either? (Oh, ok, I'll look at it myself ...)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

"Da grande lotter per la pace"
"A me me la compra il mio babbo"
(Altan)
("When I grow up, I will fight for peace"
 "I'll have my daddy buy it for me")

Sat, 09 Apr 2005 12:15:19 GMT
 Unicode GUIs on Windows

Quote:

> If you need testers for Linux, I could help. Is it hosted anywhere yet?

We can definitely use help testing under Linux. We are hosted on savannah
(with a sourceforge mirror), but nothing is checked in yet. It is still too
preliminary.

Go to our wiki at www.wxruby.org (which at the me moment, is just a shell
with not real content), click on "Meet the Developers" and add yourself to
the list with a note that you are interested in testing under Linux. Then I
will contact you when we get to that point.

Curt

PS

Until the Ruby conference, work on wxRuby has been put on hold because we
are going all out to get a release of the FreeRIDE IDE ready for the
conference.

Sat, 09 Apr 2005 17:56:45 GMT

1. Japanese Character Lookup / Unicode / GUI (longish)

2. ** APS (GUI) opportunity ** APS (GUI) ** APS (GUI) Experience required

3. ANNOUNCE: unicode 0.4, command line unicode database query tool

4. PEP 277: Unicode file name support for Windows NT

5. Getting Unicode filenames in Windows 2000

6. Windows XP - Environment variable - Unicode

7. How does one pass Unicode command line arguments to Tcl program (Windows 2000)

8. Unicode support inconsistency between menu titles and menu items on Windows

9. Setting Unicode/BIG5 options for text widgets under Windows TCL/TK

10. Setting Unicode/BIG5 options for text widgets under Windows TCL/TK.

11. Displaying Unicode on the console (Windows)

12. Chewing international (unicode) filenames on windows?