Ruby in Redhat 7.3
Author Message
 Ruby in Redhat 7.3

Quote:
> Just installed Linux Redhat 7.3:

> $ ruby -v
> ruby 1.6.7 (2002-03-19) [i386-linux]

> Good job, congratulation! Ruby goes Redhat Linux stream.

That RPM is broken, though. It's configured to expect modules in
/usr/local, which means that RPMs built against it will install into
the wrong place. It should have been built analogous to the Perl and
python RPMs.

I've also filed this as a bug in RH's Bugzilla, but haven't received a
response as yet.

You can find a better RPM at http://www.*-*-*.com/
It adds a couple of recent resolv.rb patches from ruby-talk, plus also
builds properly on Red Hat 6.x systems. I put this together using the
broken .spec file from RH 7.3 as a starting point.

You'll find many other Ruby RPMs there, too, including mod_ruby, ri,
rdtool and lots of modules such as ruby-dbi, ruby-LDAP, SOAP4R, REXML,
etc. There are also daily snapshot RPMs of Ruby 1.7.2.

Go easy on the bandwidth, though. This is over a DSL link in my
apartment. I'll be getting the stuff mirrored at a site with more
bandwidth next week.

Ian
--
Ian Macdonald               | Fine's Corollary:  Functionality breeds

Tue, 09 Nov 2004 11:55:38 GMT
 Ruby in Redhat 7.3

Quote:

>>Just installed Linux Redhat 7.3:

>>$ ruby -v
>>ruby 1.6.7 (2002-03-19) [i386-linux]

>>Good job, congratulation! Ruby goes Redhat Linux stream.

>That RPM is broken, though. It's configured to expect modules in
>/usr/local, which means that RPMs built against it will install into
>the wrong place. It should have been built analogous to the Perl and
>Python RPMs.

I do agree. And both RedHat's and your .src.rpm are broken too, because
they
depend on Emacs and Xemacs.
I'm a happy Ruby - nedit user, and I had to muck around some in the spec
file to rebuild the thing on RH 6.1.

Cheers,

Han Holl

Wed, 10 Nov 2004 03:01:30 GMT
 Ruby in Redhat 7.3

Quote:
> I do agree. And both RedHat's and your .src.rpm are broken too,
> because they depend on Emacs and Xemacs.

Emacs and Xemacs are required to build the mode packages.

With the appropriate %defines, these packages could be built
selectively. I'll see what I can come up with.

Ian
--
Ian Macdonald               | Parents often talk about the younger

                            | anything to do with it.

Mon, 15 Nov 2004 00:52:42 GMT
 Ruby in Redhat 7.3

Quote:

>>I do agree. And both RedHat's and your .src.rpm are broken too,
>>because they depend on Emacs and Xemacs.

>Emacs and Xemacs are required to build the mode packages.

>With the appropriate %defines, these packages could be built
>selectively. I'll see what I can come up with.

>Ian

If you do that, could you offer your patches upstream?
Unnecessary dependencies are a pain.

Han

Mon, 15 Nov 2004 02:23:19 GMT
 Ruby in Redhat 7.3

Quote:

> >>I do agree. And both RedHat's and your .src.rpm are broken too,
> >>because they depend on Emacs and Xemacs.

> >Emacs and Xemacs are required to build the mode packages.

> >With the appropriate %defines, these packages could be built
> >selectively. I'll see what I can come up with.

OK, new RPMs can be found at:

http://www.caliban.org/files/redhat/

The files you want are:

ruby-1.6.7-8.i386.rpm
ruby-libs-1.6.7-8.i386.rpm
ruby-devel-1.6.7-8.i386.rpm
ruby-tcltk-1.6.7-8.i386.rpm
irb-1.6.7-8.i386.rpm
ruby-docs-1.6.7-8.i386.rpm
ruby-mode-xemacs-1.6.7-8.i386.rpm
ruby-mode-1.6.7-8.i386.rpm

The SRPM can be found there, too.

To rebuild on a system with no Emacs or XEmacs, do this:

rpm --rebuild --without mode --without xemacs_mode ruby-1.6.7-8.src.rpm

Quote:
> If you do that, could you offer your patches upstream?
> Unnecessary dependencies are a pain.

I've been sending my changes upstream, but they've thus far been
ignored. I'll try again.

Ian
--
Ian Macdonald               | PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And

Mon, 15 Nov 2004 03:10:30 GMT
 Ruby in Redhat 7.3
Ian Macdonald wrote

Quote:
>To rebuild on a system with no Emacs or XEmacs, do this:

>rpm --rebuild --without mode --without xemacs_mode ruby-1.6.7-8.src.rpm

Thanks Ian, much appreciated.

Mon, 15 Nov 2004 05:26:13 GMT
 Ruby in Redhat 7.3

Quote:
> Ian Macdonald wrote

> >To rebuild on a system with no Emacs or XEmacs, do this:

> >rpm --rebuild --without mode --without xemacs_mode ruby-1.6.7-8.src.rpm

> Thanks Ian, much appreciated.

The .spec file was still broken, causing some files to be missed when
building without the mode and xemacs-mode subpackages.

Please use the -9 release packages I've just made, not the -8 ones.

Ian
--
Ian Macdonald               | Happiness is a positive cash flow.

Sat, 20 Nov 2004 05:06:31 GMT

1. oh *drat*, xved falls over on redhat 7.3

2. strange behaviour of LIB mkind on redhat 7.3 (sysfileok problem)

3. relinking poplog for redhat 7.3

4. bash via ved:imsh under Redhat 7.3

5. PHP 4.2.2 or 4.2.3 on RedHat 7.3

6. RedHat 7.3

7. RedHat 7.3 (Kevin Dahlhausen)

8. RedHat 7.3 and Python2.2.1

9. Redhat 7.3 PHP RPM + Payflow Pro functions -- HELP

10. PyXML-0.7.1, python-2.2.1, and Redhat 7.3

11. PHP 4.1.2 on apache 1.3.23, on RedHat 7.3 - weird problem with LoadModule php4_module

12. Help Porting PHP Sites from Solaris to RedHat 7.3