installing dbi
Author Message
 installing dbi

I'm pretty new to Linux so I've got what could be a pretty simple question.
I've installed ruby 1.68 with no problem.  Now I want to install the dbi
package.
I've retrieved the package. I've gunzipped it. I've tar xvf ed the tar
package.
I see a file setup.rb but when I run it I get see help.
I've read the help file but can't make any sense out of it.
There are options for config  but no config script.
There's an opttio for install but no install script.

What should I do next?

Ernie

Sat, 06 Aug 2005 03:53:05 GMT
 installing dbi

Quote:
>I'm pretty new to Linux so I've got what could be a pretty simple question.
>I've installed ruby 1.68 with no problem.  Now I want to install the dbi
>package.
>I've retrieved the package. I've gunzipped it. I've tar xvf ed the tar
>package.
>I see a file setup.rb but when I run it I get see help.
>I've read the help file but can't make any sense out of it.
>There are options for config  but no config script.
>There's an opttio for install but no install script.

>What should I do next?

>Ernie

See:

http://www.kitebird.com/articles/

The DBI article there might help.

Sat, 06 Aug 2005 04:13:01 GMT
 installing dbi

Quote:

> I'm pretty new to Linux so I've got what could be a pretty simple question.
> I've installed ruby 1.68 with no problem.  Now I want to install the dbi
> package.
> I've retrieved the package. I've gunzipped it. I've tar xvf ed the tar
> package.
> I see a file setup.rb but when I run it I get see help.
> I've read the help file but can't make any sense out of it.
> There are options for config  but no config script.
> There's an opttio for install but no install script.

I believe the "setup.rb" file contains everything for all steps.

Quote:
> What should I do next?

The help instructions on this page seem fairly straight forward.

        http://ruby-dbi.sourceforge.net/

What specifically are you having trouble with?

Sat, 06 Aug 2005 04:16:06 GMT
 installing dbi
Thanks for your help. I did find the info in the doc html files and was able
to get the dbi installed with postgresql.  I see that the postgresql package
is required.  I retrieved that an am now trying to install that.  However,
its looking for some include files.  My postgresql was installed from a Red
Hat rpm.  Do I need to get the source files for postgresql, compile it then
install the postgresql files?  Should I remove the rpm first?  Or is there
something easier to do?

Ernie

Quote:
> I'm pretty new to Linux so I've got what could be a pretty simple
question.
> I've installed ruby 1.68 with no problem.  Now I want to install the dbi
> package.
> I've retrieved the package. I've gunzipped it. I've tar xvf ed the tar
> package.
> I see a file setup.rb but when I run it I get see help.
> I've read the help file but can't make any sense out of it.
> There are options for config  but no config script.
> There's an opttio for install but no install script.

> What should I do next?

> Ernie

Sat, 06 Aug 2005 04:45:18 GMT
 installing dbi

Quote:

> Thanks for your help. I did find the info in the doc html files and was able
> to get the dbi installed with postgresql.  I see that the postgresql package
> is required.  I retrieved that an am now trying to install that.  However,
> its looking for some include files.  My postgresql was installed from a Red
> Hat rpm.  Do I need to get the source files for postgresql, compile it then
> install the postgresql files?  Should I remove the rpm first?  Or is there
> something easier to do?

Its been a while since I built the ruby postgresql package, but I think
you need to get the development libraries for postgresql.  They are
probably in a separate RPM from the standard postgresql, perhaps with a
"-dev" in the name.

Sat, 06 Aug 2005 05:05:09 GMT
 installing dbi
Well I got the development package  Apparently it has the libs but no header
files.  Does anyone know where I can get the header files for
postgresql-7.0.3.9.2?
Thanks in advance,
Ernie

Quote:
> Thanks for your help. I did find the info in the doc html files and was
able
> to get the dbi installed with postgresql.  I see that the postgresql
package
> is required.  I retrieved that an am now trying to install that.  However,
> its looking for some include files.  My postgresql was installed from a
Red
> Hat rpm.  Do I need to get the source files for postgresql, compile it
then
> install the postgresql files?  Should I remove the rpm first?  Or is there
> something easier to do?

> Ernie

> > I'm pretty new to Linux so I've got what could be a pretty simple
> question.
> > I've installed ruby 1.68 with no problem.  Now I want to install the dbi
> > package.
> > I've retrieved the package. I've gunzipped it. I've tar xvf ed the tar
> > package.
> > I see a file setup.rb but when I run it I get see help.
> > I've read the help file but can't make any sense out of it.
> > There are options for config  but no config script.
> > There's an opttio for install but no install script.

> > What should I do next?

> > Ernie

Sat, 06 Aug 2005 06:30:28 GMT
 installing dbi
Well the rpm did have the header files after all.  Couldn't find them with
locate because the db hadn't updated yet.  I used the package manager to
list the files and found from it where they were.  Not in the place I
expected which was /usr/local/include/pgsql.  Instead it put them here
/usr/include/pgsql.  Any way I've got everything installed now.  Now for the
real test.  Can I do something with it?

Ernie

Quote:
> Well I got the development package  Apparently it has the libs but no
header
> files.  Does anyone know where I can get the header files for
> postgresql-7.0.3.9.2?
> Thanks in advance,
> Ernie

> > Thanks for your help. I did find the info in the doc html files and was
> able
> > to get the dbi installed with postgresql.  I see that the postgresql
> package
> > is required.  I retrieved that an am now trying to install that.
However,
> > its looking for some include files.  My postgresql was installed from a
> Red
> > Hat rpm.  Do I need to get the source files for postgresql, compile it
> then
> > install the postgresql files?  Should I remove the rpm first?  Or is
there
> > something easier to do?

> > Ernie

> > > I'm pretty new to Linux so I've got what could be a pretty simple
> > question.
> > > I've installed ruby 1.68 with no problem.  Now I want to install the
dbi
> > > package.
> > > I've retrieved the package. I've gunzipped it. I've tar xvf ed the tar
> > > package.
> > > I see a file setup.rb but when I run it I get see help.
> > > I've read the help file but can't make any sense out of it.
> > > There are options for config  but no config script.
> > > There's an opttio for install but no install script.

> > > What should I do next?

> > > Ernie

Sat, 06 Aug 2005 06:55:38 GMT

1. install DBI on windows

2. Why doesn't the dbi install work?

3. installing ruby/dbi failed, please help

4. Renamed DBI to Ruby/DBI

5. install.rb: avoiding file name collisions (raa-install too)

6. automatic install <> manual install

7. Python Install-Installed Python 2 on top of python 1.5

8. Tcl install question - how to install in a new location

9. How to install python on clean RH7.1 install

10. [VSE, Parts DBI Wrapper]

11. output DBI::Utils::TableFormatter.ascii to something other than STDOUT

12. ruby dbi obdc driver to remote postgresl (broken)?