The various UnitTest frameworks.
Author Message
 The various UnitTest frameworks.

Looking in RAA I see three UnitTest frameworks...
  http://www.*-*-*.com/
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ %3A%3AUnit
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

Curiously enough there seems to be two by Nathaniel Talbott

Any recommendations / comparisons?

John Carter                             Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
Tait Electronics                        Fax   : (64)(3) 359 4632

New Zealand

May contain traces of nuts. This email was packed by mass, not
volume. Contents may have settled during distribution.
This email is not designed or intended for use in on-line control of
aircraft, air traffic, aircraft navigation or aircraft communications; or in
the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any nuclear
facility. Reader represents and warrants that it will not use or
redistribute the email for such purposes.

Mon, 01 Nov 2004 06:56:52 GMT
 The various UnitTest frameworks.
Hi John,

Lapidary is no more.  I think it's now RubyUnit.  I've been learning to use
RubyUnit, and it's gotten me really e{*filter*}d about the whole unit testing
thing.  I can't offer a comparison between RubyUnit and Test::Unit, though.
Somebody else is bound to have useful information on that.

Brian

Quote:

--

|   "All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, then
|            success is sure." -- Mark Twain

Mon, 01 Nov 2004 07:17:47 GMT
 The various UnitTest frameworks.

Quote:

> Hi John,

> Lapidary is no more.  I think it's now RubyUnit.  I've been learning to use
> RubyUnit, and it's gotten me really e{*filter*}d about the whole unit testing
> thing.  I can't offer a comparison between RubyUnit and Test::Unit, though.
> Somebody else is bound to have useful information on that.

Unit::Test has a RubyUnit compatibility feature (e.g REXML has runit style
tests in its test suite, and they still work under Test::Unit.)

Mike

--

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~mike/       | GPG PGP Key      1024D/059913DA

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;         |                  75D2 9EC4 C1C0 0599 13DA

Mon, 01 Nov 2004 07:43:05 GMT
 The various UnitTest frameworks.

Quote:

> Hi John,

> Lapidary is no more.  I think it's now RubyUnit.  I've been learning to use

Nathanial Talbott, who wrote Lapidary, has replaced it with Test Unit.
In the process, he has made the api compatible with Ruby Unit.
Since I learned 'test first coding' with Nathan and Lapidary at
the 2001 Ruby Cinference, , I am biased, but I would encourage
you to use Test Unit.

Quote:

--
Jim Freeze
If only I had something clever to say for my comment...

Mon, 01 Nov 2004 08:04:40 GMT
 The various UnitTest frameworks.

Quote:

> Looking in RAA I see three UnitTest frameworks...
>   http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/raa-list.rhtml?name=Lapidary
>   http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/raa-list.rhtml?name=Test%3A%3AUnit
>   http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/raa-list.rhtml?name=RubyUnit

> Curiously enough there seems to be two by Nathaniel Talbott

> Any recommendations / comparisons?

In the beginning, there was RubyUnit and it was good.  Nathaniel Talbot
then wrote Lapidary , and it was good to.  Nathanel and others then wrote
Test::Unit which supercedes the other two.

-pate

Quote:
> John Carter                             Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
> Tait Electronics                        Fax   : (64)(3) 359 4632

> New Zealand

> May contain traces of nuts. This email was packed by mass, not
> volume. Contents may have settled during distribution.
> This email is not designed or intended for use in on-line control of
> aircraft, air traffic, aircraft navigation or aircraft communications; or in
> the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any nuclear
> facility. Reader represents and warrants that it will not use or
> redistribute the email for such purposes.

Mon, 01 Nov 2004 09:18:16 GMT
 The various UnitTest frameworks.
I just lurk on this list so I may be wrong but as I understand it Nathan started one. (Lapidary I think) then when enough ppl were using RubyUnit I think he wanted to make them work together. And ended up creating UnitTest. I am a firm beliver in unit testing (junit and httpunit)and as soon as I understand Ruby enough to justify using it I'm looking forward to trying UnitTest.

Carl Parrish

Date: 2002/05/15 Wed PM 06:53:30 EDT

Subject: The various UnitTest frameworks.

Looking in RAA I see three UnitTest frameworks...
  http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/raa-list.rhtml?name=Lapidary
  http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/raa-list.rhtml?name=Test%3A%3AUnit
  http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/raa-list.rhtml?name=RubyUnit

Curiously enough there seems to be two by Nathaniel Talbott

Any recommendations / comparisons?

Mon, 01 Nov 2004 10:31:11 GMT
 The various UnitTest frameworks.
Go for Test::Unit.  It supersedes both Lapidary and RubyUnit and will
eventually be part of Ruby's standard library.

Cheers,
            Nat.
________________________________
Dr. Nathaniel Pryce
B13media Ltd.
Studio 3a, Aberdeen Business Centre, 22/24 Highbury Grove, London, N5 2EA
http://www.b13media.com

> Looking in RAA I see three UnitTest frameworks...
>   http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/raa-list.rhtml?name=Lapidary
>   http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/raa-list.rhtml?name=Test%3A%3AUnit
>   http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/raa-list.rhtml?name=RubyUnit

> Curiously enough there seems to be two by Nathaniel Talbott

> Any recommendations / comparisons?

> John Carter                             Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
> Tait Electronics                        Fax   : (64)(3) 359 4632

> New Zealand

> May contain traces of nuts. This email was packed by mass, not
> volume. Contents may have settled during distribution.
> This email is not designed or intended for use in on-line control of
> aircraft, air traffic, aircraft navigation or aircraft communications; or
in
> the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any nuclear
> facility. Reader represents and warrants that it will not use or
> redistribute the email for such purposes.

Mon, 01 Nov 2004 19:17:17 GMT

1. QUERY: Various Smalltalk, Opinions on these various

2. unittest: how to specify which suites to run with unittest.main()?

3. Need help Translating Python unittest to Ruby Test::Unit

4. Windows python 2.2.1 IDLE glitch - unittest output display nothing

5. problems redirecting unittest output to sys.stdout

6. print unittest errors immediately

7. Code Coverage support for unittest?

8. Tkinter and unittest

9. unittest / pdb tricks?

10. A modest suggestion for unittest.py

11. Standard module unittest, where has unittestgui gone?

12. Notes on unittest.py