Trouble installing the mysql module
Author Message
 Trouble installing the mysql module

I'm trying to install the ruby mysql module on my linux (mdk 8.2) box,
but I can't even get past the first step. When I run extconf.rb, the
following is printed to the terminal:

checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lm... yes
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lz... yes
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lsocket... no
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lnsl... yes
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no

At which point, the script exits, with no makefile made. mkmf.log prints

gcc -o conftest -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.6/i586-linux-gnu -O3  -pipe
-mcpu=pentiumpro -march=i586 -ffast-math -fno-strength-reduce
-I/usr/include   -I/usr/lib/include -rdynamic  -L/usr/lib/lib
-L/usr/lib/lib/mysql conftest.c -lmysqlclient -lnsl -lz -lm -lc  -ldl
-lcrypt -lm
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmysqlclient

several times. I'm relatively new to linux, and have no idea how to fix
this. What do I do?

        md |- m:att d:iephouse

Thu, 11 Nov 2004 05:48:24 GMT
 Trouble installing the mysql module

Quote:
> I'm trying to install the ruby mysql module on my linux (mdk 8.2)
> box, but I can't even get past the first step.
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmysqlclient

> several times. I'm relatively new to linux, and have no idea how to
> fix this. What do I do?

Install whatever package provides libmysqlclient.a .

Under RedHat I believe that this would be the mysql-devel package.
This also has the required header files.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com

Thu, 11 Nov 2004 06:32:33 GMT
 Trouble installing the mysql module

Quote:

> gcc -o conftest -I/usr/lib/ruby/1.6/i586-linux-gnu -O3  -pipe
> -mcpu=pentiumpro -march=i586 -ffast-math -fno-strength-reduce
> -I/usr/include   -I/usr/lib/include -rdynamic  -L/usr/lib/lib
> -L/usr/lib/lib/mysql conftest.c -lmysqlclient -lnsl -lz -lm -lc  -ldl
> -lcrypt -lm
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmysqlclient

> several times. I'm relatively new to linux, and have no idea how to fix
> this. What do I do?

Assuming MySQL itself is already installed....  Do you really have a
directory `/usr/lib/lib' and installed MySQL to that directory?

mkmf.log says gcc searched libmysqlclient.so or such from default
directories plus /usr/lib/lib and /usr/lib/libmysql and then failed.

Probably you mistakenly feed /usr/lib/lib as an argument of extconf.rb
or you should pass the correct path to MySQL installation to it.

--

Out of sight, out of mind.

Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:14:22 GMT

1. Troubles installing mysql module

2. including modules => installing modules

3. Troubles with DECIMAL fields with MySQL

4. MySQL x Clarion Trouble....

5. Troubles with mysql-ruby

6. mysql troubles

7. install ruby-mysql in OS X, part 2

8. Has anyone had success with installing MySQL-ruby on Windows

9. install of mysql-ruby-2.3.1 on mandrake 7.2

10. New MySQL Install

11. Installing MySQL-python-0.9.0.tar.gz

12. Install MySQL + Python + Win2K