possible addition to rubycookbook.org
Author Message
 possible addition to rubycookbook.org

Hi Colin (et al),

Perhaps you've been following the list recently, and you might have seen discussion about this. If not, here's a short recap:
Recently I asked a question about using chomp on an array.  A discussion ensued which had the end result of several people agreeing that a repository similar to the RAA for things like xarray.rb and xstring.rb files would be a great thing. I was then reminded of rubycookbook.org by Dave Thomas.  However, what I and I believe the others had in mind is a more specific type of repository than your cookbook. I'm wondering though if it'd be possible to add another section or component to the site; something that would be similar to the philosophy of the site but perhaps organized in a simpler straightforward fashion.
I wanted to send this through the list to allow others to comment, etc.
Thanks!
Jack

Fri, 25 Jun 2004 02:59:09 GMT
 possible addition to rubycookbook.org

>------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C196B9.7625F600

>Hi Colin (et al),

>Perhaps you've been following the list recently, and you might have seen =
>discussion about this. If not, here's a short recap:
>Recently I asked a question about using chomp on an array.  A discussion =
>ensued which had the end result of several people agreeing that a =
>repository similar to the RAA for things like xarray.rb and xstring.rb =
>files would be a great thing. I was then reminded of rubycookbook.org by =
>Dave Thomas.  However, what I and I believe the others had in mind is a =
>more specific type of repository than your cookbook. I'm wondering =
>though if it'd be possible to add another section or component to the =
>site; something that would be similar to the philosophy of the site but =
>perhaps organized in a simpler straightforward fashion.
>I wanted to send this through the list to allow others to comment, etc.
>Thanks!
>Jack

But why not just post the snippets to rubycookbook as it is now?  What is
missing from the current rubycookbook format?

Phil

Fri, 25 Jun 2004 05:51:38 GMT
 possible addition to rubycookbook.org

Quote:

> But why not just post the snippets to rubycookbook as it is now?  What is
> missing from the current rubycookbook format?

Just a personal opinion: lazyness.  I guess that, no matter how small
the contribution is, it still has to be evaluated, checked against
duplication, approved, cleaned, posted...  so it is likely that I
would only submit something once in a while (the mantainer being
grateful for that) and probably only what I deem useful in many cases.

Bureaucracy, even if in a mild form like this, won't help.  Not
because it's inherently bad, but because it inevitably keeps people
from contributing.  IMHO we should strive for a lightweight system
where one hasn't more to do than if he just put his files in a share
directory in a Napster-like service.  That's why I proposed an FTP
service with a personal dir where everyone can upload to his heart's
content.  Then we could go out and look for the best snippets
``officialize'' them, but still people will be able to peep into my
less than general code and I into theirs when we'll have less than
general needs.

Let us also wake up before we fall in the ``why not add this'' sleep
again.  I gather a similar idea was already proposed months ago, but
didn't bear fruits.  Let's hack it, let's keep it small, let's keep it
simple, but let's get going, and *then* start adding features.
Otherwise we're just going BigDesignUpFront with our pencils and
diagrams and not getting a thing done.

And if that last line did not catch your attention, I wonder what in
the world will. ;-)

Massimliano

Fri, 25 Jun 2004 07:41:18 GMT
 possible addition to rubycookbook.org

I'm all for it.  The site intended as a service to the community.
Let's use it to its full potential.

How do you folks envision this portion of the site would be organized?

--
Colin Steele

                   From "The Hacker's Dictionary":
               self-reference: n. See {self-reference}.

Sat, 26 Jun 2004 05:02:49 GMT

1. rubycookbook.org down for indeterminate time

2. rubycookbook.org

3. rubycookbook.org opens new section for code

4. xml.smalltalk.org, mod.smalltalk.org and camp.smalltalk.org DNS problems resolved

5. possible addition to ruby weekly news

6. xml.smalltalk.org and mod.smalltalk.org

7. new host at ruby-lang.org (or rubyist.org)

8. what happened to wxpython.org/wxwindows.org?

9. www.lisp.org and www.alu.org now point to ALU web site

10. Ruby-libgtop (and RubyCookbook, RAA)

11. rubycookbook

12. what happened to rubycookbook site?