Ruby/CGI/Apache/MS Windows - Err 403
Author Message
 Ruby/CGI/Apache/MS Windows - Err 403

I have posted an early version this to
comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows newsgroup, and I understand it
is bad form to post to more than one group, but I am impatient to see
something running. I am using Apache 2.0.36 on Windows 98 and trying to
run Ruby CGI scripts. I get the following message:

"Access forbidden! You don't have permission to access the requested
object. It is either read-protected or not readable by the server.
Error 403"

I have tried many variations and perused many web pages on Windows 98,
Apache and Ruby. I have no trouble running my ruby scripts from a DOS
window, nor in displaying web pages using Apache, and in general I
understand pathways and the idea behind the Apache httpd.conf file.

My DocumentRoot is "C:/www".

My web index.html page is in C:/www/ and looks as follows:

<b>This is "index.html" in folder www</B>
<form method="post" action="c:/www/scripts/hello.rbw">
<input type="submit">
</form>

The hello.rbw script runs fine from the command line in a DOS window
(using a hello.bat file in the same folder to provide the
connection to the Ruby binaries).

Some relevant settings in my httpd.conf file are given below.
Any clues that would help a this lay computer user
set up his server for linguistic research would be appreciated.

Thanks much,
Gary Palmer
Anthropology & ETS
University of Nevada at Las Vegas

# DocumentRoot: The directory out of which you will serve your
# documents. By default, all requests are taken from this directory, but
# symbolic links and aliases may be used to point to other locations.
#
#DocumentRoot "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs"

DocumentRoot "C:/www"

<Directory "C:/www/scripts">

        Options +ExecCGI

#I also tried adding ExecCGI to the options directive below.

#
# Possible values for the Options directive are "None", "All",
# or any combination of:
#   Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks SymLinksifOwnerMatch ExecCGI
Multiviews
#
# Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
# doesn't give it to you.
#
# The Options directive is both complicated and important.  Please see
# http://www.*-*-*.com/ #options
# for more information.
#
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks

#
# AllowOverride controls what directives may be placed in .htaccess
files.
# It can be "All", "None", or any combination of the keywords:
#   Options FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
#
    AllowOverride None

#
#
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all

</Directory>

<Directory "c:/www/scripts/">
    SetHandler cgi-script
</Directory>

#
# UserDir: The name of the directory that is appended onto a user's home
# directory if a ~user request is received.  Be especially careful to
use
# proper, forward slashes here.
#
#UserDir "My Documents/My Website"

UserDir "C:/www/scripts"

AddHandler cgi-script .rbw

#My SAMS manual drops the period from the file type,
#so I tried that, too.

# I added the following - GBP; don't really know if necessary or correct

AddType application/x-httpd-cgi .rbw
Action application/x-httpd-cgi "/ruby/bin/rubywin.exe"

  gbp.vcf
< 1K Download

Thu, 11 Nov 2004 02:47:31 GMT
 Ruby/CGI/Apache/MS Windows - Err 403

Quote:

> I am using Apache 2.0.36 on Windows 98 and trying to
> run Ruby CGI scripts.

Here's what I did:
http://www.pinkjuice.com/howto/local_apache.txt

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/

Thu, 11 Nov 2004 02:58:06 GMT

1. ANNOUNCE: Helga - ODBC,CGI,Tcl,Windows NT,Windows 95,MS Windows

2. Doing CGI with Ruby & Apache

3. Problems with Ruby, apache, and cgi

4. CGI in Ruby with Apache and Exec

5. RESULT: comp.programming passes 403:47

6. Error 403 Forbidden

7. Need help with TOMS 403

8. Apache: new release 1.3.9 and nice change for Windows CGI debugging

9. ruby + windows + apache

10. Using Ruby as a CGI under Windows/IIS

11. OCX error handling via VB Err.Number / Err.description

12. CGI and Harbour under Apache