Ruby FastCGI bindings?
Author Message
 Ruby FastCGI bindings?

Hello Everyone,

The RAA has an entry for a Ruby FastCGI implementation.

Unfortunately, both the home page
( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~eli/fastcgi.html) and the download page
( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~eli/fastcgi.rb) are broken links.

Does anyone know where FastCGI for Ruby has gone? Should the RAA entry
be removed, or can someone restore a link to the code?

I am specifically interested in FastCGI for Apache; does anyone know of
Ruby bindings to mod_fastcgi?

I can alternatively use mod_ruby. Would anyone like to share their
opinion?

Thanks in anticipation.

Kind Regards,
Colin Coates.

The views expressed in this electronic communication are those of the
writer and are not, unless otherwise stated, the views of Micro Nav Ltd,
Gild House, Norwich Avenue West, Bournemouth, Dorset BH2 6AW. Company
Reg No. 3014347

Confidentiality:

The addressee(s) of this electronic communication shall treat its
contents in confidence and take all reasonable steps to ensure that the
contents are not accessed or made available to any third party. No
liability arising from unauthorised access to the information contained
in this electronic communication whilst stored on any computer system or
electronic storage media outside of its direct control shall be accepted
by Micro Nav Ltd.

Virus checking:

Whilst all reasonable steps have been taken to ensure that this
electronic communication and its attachments whether encoded, encrypted
or otherwise supplied are free from computer viruses, Micro Nav Ltd
accepts no liability in respect of any loss, cost, damage or expense
suffered as a result of accessing this message or any of its
attachments.

Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:51:10 GMT
 Ruby FastCGI bindings?

Quote:
> The RAA has an entry for a Ruby FastCGI implementation.

> Unfortunately, both the home page
> (http://fenris.codedogs.ca/~eli/fastcgi.html) and the download page
> (http://fenris.codedogs.ca/~eli/fastcgi.rb) are broken links.

> Does anyone know where FastCGI for Ruby has gone? Should the
> RAA entry be removed, or can someone restore a link to the code?

Okay & apologies, I should have found ruby-fcgi (thankyou Moonwolf),
also in RAA!
My question about whether the old RAA entry should be removed still
stands though?

Quote:
> I can alternatively use mod_ruby. Would anyone like to share
> their opinion?

I am still interested in opinions!
Quote:
> The views expressed in this electronic communication are
> those of the writer and are not, unless otherwise stated, the
> views of Micro Nav Ltd, Gild House, Norwich Avenue West,
> Bournemouth, Dorset BH2 6AW. Company Reg No. 3014347

> Confidentiality:

> The addressee(s) of this electronic communication shall treat
> its contents in confidence and take all reasonable steps to
> ensure that the contents are not accessed or made available
> to any third party. No liability arising from unauthorised
> access to the information contained in this electronic
> communication whilst stored on any computer system or
> electronic storage media outside of its direct control shall
> be accepted by Micro Nav Ltd.

> Virus checking:

> Whilst all reasonable steps have been taken to ensure that
> this electronic communication and its attachments whether
> encoded, encrypted or otherwise supplied are free from
> computer viruses, Micro Nav Ltd accepts no liability in
> respect of any loss, cost, damage or expense suffered as a
> result of accessing this message or any of its attachments.

Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:04:07 GMT
 Ruby FastCGI bindings?

Quote:

> The RAA has an entry for a Ruby FastCGI implementation.

> Unfortunately, both the home page
> (http://fenris.codedogs.ca/~eli/fastcgi.html) and the download page
> (http://fenris.codedogs.ca/~eli/fastcgi.rb) are broken links.

Use the module called "fcgi" instead. This merges together the functionality
of two older modules, one which was pure Ruby and the other in C.

Quote:
> I am specifically interested in FastCGI for Apache; does anyone know of
> Ruby bindings to mod_fastcgi?

Well, at the application side you don't bind to mod_fastcgi (that is the
webserver side of things), you'd use the 'FastCGI developer kit' C library
instead. fcgi is a wrapper around that. In the absence of the developer kit,
fcgi implements the same protocol directly in Ruby.

Quote:
> I can alternatively use mod_ruby. Would anyone like to share their
> opinion?

I have not compiled mod_ruby into a server, but personally I think fastcgi
rocks. It has a lot going for it:
- in a mixed language environment, you can run Ruby fastcgi, Perl fastcgi,
  C fastcgi... all under the same webserver without having to add any
  additional modules
- each CGI application runs as its own process or pool of processes, so you
  have better visibility, more control (e.g. you can truss them, set
  different sized pools for each application, kill them individually)

However, mod_ruby has the advantage of directly exposing the Apache API to
your program, which lets you do clever things like hooking into the URL
rewriting mechanism. FastCGI just simulates a CGI environment for persistent
processes.

Regards,

Brian.

Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:13:49 GMT
 Ruby FastCGI bindings?

Quote:
> I have not compiled mod_ruby into a server, but personally I
> think fastcgi rocks. It has a lot going for it:
> - in a mixed language environment, you can run Ruby fastcgi,
> Perl fastcgi,
>   C fastcgi... all under the same webserver without having to add any
>   additional modules
> - each CGI application runs as its own process or pool of
> processes, so you
>   have better visibility, more control (e.g. you can truss them, set
>   different sized pools for each application, kill them individually)

Thanks for your suggestions Brian.

I shall try using "fcgi" (rather than mod_ruby), as the advantages you
have identified  are currently more important for my project (than
having extensive access to the internal hooks of the Apache httpd).

Kind Regards,
Colin Coates.

Mon, 19 Sep 2005 23:26:00 GMT

1. Anyone know of an Ada binding to FastCGI?

2. FastCGI library for Ruby

3. FastCGI for Ruby (an announcement, not a question)

4. FastCGI for Ruby?

5. Fastcgi and ruby

6. Ruby-ODE (Open Dynamics Engine Ruby binding) 0.01

7. Need Ruby binding to open source middleware

8. libtemplate ruby binding

9. HOWTO create Ruby bindings for a library

10. New version of GMP bindings for Ruby

11. xml data binding for Ruby ?

12. Ruby bindings for MetaKit