\G in regexps not documented?
Author Message
 \G in regexps not documented?

Where is an *up to date* documentation of Ruby regexps?

--

 \__/
  ^^

Wed, 17 Nov 2004 20:06:53 GMT
 \G in regexps not documented?
Hi,

In message "\G in regexps not documented?"

|Where is an *up to date* documentation of Ruby regexps?

"Ruby in a nutshell" page 14.

Sorry for being too lazy.  We should have prepare up-to-date, on-line,
free version of the English reference manual.  Only if you can read
Japanese, the Japanese version at http://www.ruby-lang.org/ja/man-1.6/
is pretty up-to-date, even covers the latest changes in 1.7 (it's Wiki
based).  Probably I have to setup Wiki for the English version too.

                                                        matz.

Thu, 18 Nov 2004 06:41:40 GMT
 \G in regexps not documented?

|                                           |
|     The way to be happy is to be good     |
|                                           |

> "Ruby in a nutshell" page 14.

> Sorry for being too lazy.  We should have prepare up-to-date, on-line,
> free version of the English reference manual.  Only if you can read
> Japanese, the Japanese version at http://www.ruby-lang.org/ja/man-1.6/
> is pretty up-to-date, even covers the latest changes in 1.7 (it's Wiki
> based).  Probably I have to setup Wiki for the English version too.

Ummm... I've seen web resources that will take a brief phrase in English
and translate it into other languages (e.g., Japanese).  Does anyone know
of any web services that will translate from Japanese into English?
Thanks.
-dln-
Quote:
> matz.

Thu, 18 Nov 2004 07:07:39 GMT
 \G in regexps not documented?

Quote:

> Ummm... I've seen web resources that will take a brief phrase in English
> and translate it into other languages (e.g., Japanese).  Does anyone know
> of any web services that will translate from Japanese into English?

Babel Fish:

http://world.altavista.com/

Will translate entire pages.

James

Quote:
> Thanks.
> -dln-

> > matz.

Thu, 18 Nov 2004 08:46:29 GMT
 \G in regexps not documented?

Quote:
> |Where is an *up to date* documentation of Ruby regexps?

> "Ruby in a nutshell" page 14.

Ugh, it's only on the paper :-(

Quote:
> We should have prepare up-to-date, on-line, free version of the
> English reference manual.

YES! :-)

Quote:
> Only if you can read Japanese,

Sorry, I can't.

Seems that I must read Ruby source.

--

 \__/
  ^^

Thu, 18 Nov 2004 13:42:39 GMT
 \G in regexps not documented?

Quote:

> > Only if you can read Japanese,

> Sorry, I can't.

Still, this page

http://www.ruby-lang.org/ja/man-1.6/?cmd=view;name=%B5%BF%BB%F7BNF%A4...
%E8%A4%EBRuby%A4%CE%CA%B8%CB%A1

presents Ruby in a Nutshell in a Nutshell, and you don't need to know
Japanese.

But if you really do need a translation, go to
http://world.altavista.com/

Select "Japanese to English"  from the drop-down, and paste in a URL.
Presto: awkward but readable English.

Quote:

> Seems that I must read Ruby source.

It's well worth doing.  It's quite nicely laid out, and it's easy to see
what classes have what methods, how they work, and so on.  It helps if you
know C, but even if you don't you can still find the names of classes,
modules, constants, methods, etc, and see how they relate.

James

Quote:

> --

>  \__/
>   ^^
> QRCZAK

Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:08:37 GMT

1. Error 53 ? (Not documented)

2. CW2001.01 Locators do not work as documented???

3. This is NOT 'Documenting'.. yuk

4. OPTIONAL argument not working as documented

5. exec restriction not documented in html pages

6. Tcl_EvalObj not documented

7. Some public function not documented

8. auto_qualify, auto_import not documented

9. braces required on expression in while statements - not documented anywhere

10. Global Document Handling Template - Document Send Extension

11. document, document

12. MMX documents available, P6 documents not available -- Ironic or irresponsible?