Embedding in Borland C++ Builder
Author Message
 Embedding in Borland C++ Builder

I want to try embedding Ruby into a new Borland C++ Builder application, and
while I've poked around and found bits of information here and there, I'm
having trouble coming up with a "shortest path between A and B" sort of
solution.  I'd prefer to get 1.8 embedded, but 1.6 is fine.  If I could just
get the Ruby API compiled into a .DLL somehow, I'm sure I could get Builder
to load and use it, with some help from the ruby.h file.

What should I be doing to start off with?

    Sean O'Dell

Mon, 28 Nov 2005 03:09:05 GMT
 Embedding in Borland C++ Builder

Quote:

> I want to try embedding Ruby into a new Borland C++ Builder application, and
> while I've poked around and found bits of information here and there, I'm
> having trouble coming up with a "shortest path between A and B" sort of
> solution.  I'd prefer to get 1.8 embedded, but 1.6 is fine.  If I could just
> get the Ruby API compiled into a .DLL somehow, I'm sure I could get Builder
> to load and use it, with some help from the ruby.h file.

> What should I be doing to start off with?

Don't start out with .DLL's..  DLL's may couse trouble.
Instead do static-linking with the ruby-library.

There is a saying:  Make it work, make it right, make it fast.
When you are sure everything is working, you can move on and
make a DLL out of it.

--
Simon Strandgaard

Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:31:47 GMT
 Embedding in Borland C++ Builder

Quote:

> > I want to try embedding Ruby into a new Borland C++ Builder application,
and
> > while I've poked around and found bits of information here and there,
I'm
> > having trouble coming up with a "shortest path between A and B" sort of
> > solution.  I'd prefer to get 1.8 embedded, but 1.6 is fine.  If I could
just
> > get the Ruby API compiled into a .DLL somehow, I'm sure I could get
Builder
> > to load and use it, with some help from the ruby.h file.

> > What should I be doing to start off with?

> Don't start out with .DLL's..  DLL's may couse trouble.
> Instead do static-linking with the ruby-library.

Unfortunately, I get linker errors with the static library I built in the
bcc32 directory (__umask, _getpid and one other couldn't be resolved).  I'm
having some luck with the .dll, but I don't have a lot of choice at the
moment.  Perhaps later I will have time to figure out why those functions
are missing out of the static library.

    Sean O'Dell

Tue, 29 Nov 2005 00:29:03 GMT

1. Embedding Python in Borland C++ Builder 5.x?

2. Borland C++ Builder vs CW

3. Borland C++ Builder is comming to Dallas

4. LabVIEW6 as Automation Server in Borland C++ Builder

5. LabVIEW6 as Automation Server in Borland C++ Builder

6. How to use Cecil under Borland C++ Builder?

7. Scheme Package for Borland C++ Builder

8. Need HELP with Tasm in Borland C++ Builder Professional

9. Borland C++ Builder is comming to Dallas

10. mixed language problem: CVF 6.5 - Borland C++ Builder 5

11. Exporting global variables from a Fortran 90 (CVF) module into Borland C++ Builder

12. CVF 6.1 Fortran dll and Borland C++ Builder?