rubycookbook.org down for indeterminate time
Author Message
 rubycookbook.org down for indeterminate time

Sadly, and coincidentally, both the server hosting
rubycookbook.org and my access to a hosting facility
have more-or-less evaporated.  Sigh.

I hope to resurrect the site, but for the time being
its prospects don't look great.  Hosting is rather
dear down here in central {*filter*}ia, and I need to
locate and purchase a suitable machine to run the site
on.

I'll let y'all know how things progress.  Sorry for
the inconvenience.

--Colin Steele

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 20:51:51 GMT
 rubycookbook.org down for indeterminate time

Quote:

> Sadly, and coincidentally, both the server hosting
> rubycookbook.org and my access to a hosting facility
> have more-or-less evaporated.  Sigh.

Anything we can do/help?

YS.

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 21:43:58 GMT
 rubycookbook.org down for indeterminate time

Quote:
>Sadly, and coincidentally, both the server hosting
>rubycookbook.org and my access to a hosting facility
>have more-or-less evaporated.  Sigh.

That's bad news.  I really think rubycookbook was/is an important site for
the Ruby community.

Quote:

>I hope to resurrect the site, but for the time being
>its prospects don't look great.  Hosting is rather
>dear down here in central {*filter*}ia, and I need to
>locate and purchase a suitable machine to run the site
>on.

I'll have to check, but a while back someone offered to host a machine for
me locally (I'm in Oregon).  I wasn't sure at the time what I would want
to put on that machine, but I could _possibly_ run rubycookbook on it.

The machine that I've designated for this purpose I picked up at a surplus
store for $25 - it's a Pentium Pro 180 with 32MB RAM and 1.2GB HD
that I intend to put either Linux or FreeBSD on (would
that be suitable?  I think it could work since rubycookbook traffic
probably isn't that heavy).

There are a few "issues":
1) I'm starting a contracting gig this week and I suspect (as with most
contracting gigs) that their schedule is overly agressive which means
I'll be putting a lot of hours in for the next 2-3 months - so the time
I'll have to put into this project would be rather limited.
2) I need to check with the fellow who offered a static IP and an
electrical socket to see if his offer still stands.
3) Would the fact that we're in Oregon and you're in {*filter*}ia be a
problem?  We could make it so you could ssh into the box - would that
work?

How big is the rubycookbook site? What is needed to run rubycookbook? (I'm
assuming it runs on Ruby)  I'm thinking that OS, tools, apache etc. will
take up around half of the 1.2GB, can rubycookbook fit in about 600MB?
(we could probably add another drive if we need to).

Another alternative: Would it be possible to roll rubycookbook into the
rubygarden? (Dave?)  That site already exists so it would probably take
less time to go that route if rubygarden is willing and able.

Phil

Mon, 08 Nov 2004 01:54:34 GMT
 rubycookbook.org down for indeterminate time

Quote:

I second this motion.  Thoughts Dave?

Regards,

Dan

Mon, 08 Nov 2004 03:43:52 GMT
 rubycookbook.org down for indeterminate time

Quote:

I've got a pair of (contradictory) thoughts.

a)  It would sure be nice to get things boiled down to a couple of
servers, then maximize uptime (distributed rubygarden anyone?)

b)  The more (viable, worthwhile, etc.) web sites devoted to ruby the
greater the level of buzz around it.

perhaps people with more cycles than I can donate right now can think
about where the line between these needs to be drawn.

-pate

Quote:

> Regards,

> Dan

Mon, 08 Nov 2004 03:54:16 GMT
 rubycookbook.org down for indeterminate time

Quote:

I'd be happy to do that, although it'll have to wait until I get back
from a trip (middle of next week). I'll be picking up e-mail Thursday,
so we could discuss off-list what's involved.

Cheers

Dave

Mon, 08 Nov 2004 03:59:28 GMT
 rubycookbook.org down for indeterminate time
On Wed, 22 May 2002 19:59:28 GMT, Dave Thomas

Quote:

I have a couple of suggestions:
1)I believe the Lisp cookbook is held at sourceforge.
   I'm notnsure that the rubygarden is in a form where this is
   feasible though.
2) Put a big date and copyright notice on the first page, then
    start a sourceforge product and create a cron job that
    takes your html directory and creates a bzip-tar ball and
    sends it to sourceforge. The only problem with this is
    if you mixed the cookbook stuff with other stuff and I don't think

    you did that. Then people can just download the tarbar and set it
    up on their own personal web servers. THis is an advantage for
    those of us that have difficulty getting broadband.

Mon, 08 Nov 2004 05:38:27 GMT
 rubycookbook.org down for indeterminate time

Quote:

Good point.  The recent problems with rubygarden and now rubycookbook are
indicators that perhaps we need to consider something like this.
Redundancy would be a good thing.   We could have multiple servers
in multiple locations.  Anybody got any ideas on how we might do
this?

Quote:

>b)  The more (viable, worthwhile, etc.) web sites devoted to ruby the
>greater the level of buzz around it.

Sure, but they could all live on the same set of servers.  Say we get four
or five servers around that can host rubygarden, rubycookbook and
ruby-lang.org.  That way we get the redundancy and multiple sites.

Phil

Mon, 08 Nov 2004 05:31:23 GMT
 rubycookbook.org down for indeterminate time

Quote:

> >I've got a pair of (contradictory) thoughts.

> >a)  It would sure be nice to get things boiled down to a couple of
> >servers, then maximize uptime (distributed rubygarden anyone?)

> Good point.  The recent problems with rubygarden and now rubycookbook are
> indicators that perhaps we need to consider something like this.
> Redundancy would be a good thing.   We could have multiple servers
> in multiple locations.  Anybody got any ideas on how we might do
> this?

I don't have any good ideas yet, but will think about it for a while.  I'm
guessing that we'll want to consider something along the lines of dns
updates.

Quote:

> >b)  The more (viable, worthwhile, etc.) web sites devoted to ruby the
> >greater the level of buzz around it.

> Sure, but they could all live on the same set of servers.  Say we get four
> or five servers around that can host rubygarden, rubycookbook and
> ruby-lang.org.  That way we get the redundancy and multiple sites.

I agree, I was just trying to point out that making the rubycookbook a
part of rubygarden might not be the way to go.  Having a few hosts sharing
a few sites sounds like the winning combination to me.

-pate

Quote:

> Phil

Mon, 08 Nov 2004 06:35:35 GMT
 rubycookbook.org down for indeterminate time

Quote:
> I agree, I was just trying to point out that making the rubycookbook a
> part of rubygarden might not be the way to go.  Having a few hosts sharing
> a few sites sounds like the winning combination to me.

You can always set it up on a few servers and just do a simple DNS
round-robin serving method to balance the load somewhat if that was the
problem. BIND, the name server will automatically do the round robin
method if you give it more than one record for the same name. From what
I know, it gets at least somewhat complicated if you go any other route.

Isaac

Tue, 09 Nov 2004 08:55:33 GMT
 rubycookbook.org down for indeterminate time
Send me an email offline with space/bandwidth/infrastructure requirements.
If not too high I'd be happy to host it at virtualschool.edu.

Quote:

--

For industrial age goods there were checks and credit cards
For everything else there is http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 10 Nov 2004 06:19:13 GMT
 rubycookbook.org down for indeterminate time
Hi Colin,

     You might try a company that offers remote web hosting services.
One that I use personally is www.us.net, with prices starting at
$14.95/mo.  I don't have stock in the company, I'm just a customer.
I believe that www.geocities.com and www.angelfire.com offer free web
site hosting, but then all site vistors will get some annoying banner
ads.  I think they also offer website hosting for a fee, but haven't
looked really closely.  Also, I don't know how much resources
rubycookbook.org would need (disk space, bandwidth, data transfers,
email, CGI, etc.), so these suggestions may not be practical for you.
Another possibility would be if any of the list / newsgroup readers
might have an employer who is supportive to open source products and
might be willing to host a website for you.  In any case, Good Luck!

Dennis

|                                           |
|     The way to be happy is to be good     |
|                                           |

> Sadly, and coincidentally, both the server hosting
> rubycookbook.org and my access to a hosting facility
> have more-or-less evaporated.  Sigh.

> I hope to resurrect the site, but for the time being
> its prospects don't look great.  Hosting is rather
> dear down here in central {*filter*}ia, and I need to
> locate and purchase a suitable machine to run the site
> on.

> I'll let y'all know how things progress.  Sorry for
> the inconvenience.

> --Colin Steele

> LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 14 Nov 2004 00:55:38 GMT

1. Python.org scheduled down time

2. rubycookbook.org

3. rubycookbook.org opens new section for code

4. possible addition to rubycookbook.org

5. xml.smalltalk.org, mod.smalltalk.org and camp.smalltalk.org DNS problems resolved

6. news.smallscript.org server down ?

7. www.gwydiondylan.org down?

8. www.gwydiondylan.org down?

9. www.gwydiondylan.org down