Ruby Camps and a Ruby Day (ideas)
Author Message
 Ruby Camps and a Ruby Day (ideas)

Quote:

> Hi --

> > Would it be worth considering holding multiple ruby gatherings in
> > different areas concurrently?  Each could focus on a specific topic
> > working, learning, and socializing together (and maybe ircing between the
> > groups).  At the end of the sessions, each group could present ideas,
> > docs, new code, whatever back to the larger ruby community.  We could pick
> > a day (or a long weekend), call it World Ruby Day, and get to work.

> Maybe worth considering, but I guess my reservation is that the more
> complex a plan, and the broader the consensus it requires, the less
> likely it is ever to happen.  I think Ruby camps (or whatever) should
> be encouraged to spring up whe[rn]ever possible.  That wouldn't
> necessarily mean that what you're envisioning could never happen --
> just that if people are eager to meet and have little codefests, it
> would sort of be too bad for them not to just go ahead with it.

Hmm, yes this is true.  I wasn't thinking about trying to supplant the
Ruby Camps, but to compliment them.  I think they serve similar ends but
probably target different groups (I'd guess that there is some overlap
though.)

I'll keep chewing on the idea and see what I come up with ... thoughts,
suggestions, criticism, etc. are welcome.

Quote:

> Although... maybe there could be some kind of repository or checkout
> system for Ruby-camp-driven projects... though, again, personally I'd
> want to encourage people to get together even if it isn't part of a
> larger project or system.

That's always the rub.  Providing tools is good, but too much central
governance makes it unwieldy/unpleasant to just get together and do
something.  Perhaps it would be best to let a couple of Ruby Camps just
happen, and try to pull together ideas, hints, and a suggested tool kit
from the participants/coordinators.

-pate

> David

Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:47:28 GMT
 Ruby Camps and a Ruby Day (ideas)

Quote:
> > > Would it be worth considering holding multiple ruby gatherings in
> > > different areas concurrently?  Each could focus on a specific topic
> > > working, learning, and socializing together (and maybe ircing between
the
> > > groups).  At the end of the sessions, each group could present ideas,
> > > docs, new code, whatever back to the larger ruby community.  We could
pick
> > > a day (or a long weekend), call it World Ruby Day, and get to work.

> > Maybe worth considering, but I guess my reservation is that the more
> > complex a plan, and the broader the consensus it requires, the less
> > likely it is ever to happen.  I think Ruby camps (or whatever) should
> > be encouraged to spring up whe[rn]ever possible.  That wouldn't
> > necessarily mean that what you're envisioning could never happen --
> > just that if people are eager to meet and have little codefests, it
> > would sort of be too bad for them not to just go ahead with it.

> Hmm, yes this is true.  I wasn't thinking about trying to supplant the
> Ruby Camps, but to compliment them.  I think they serve similar ends but
> probably target different groups (I'd guess that there is some overlap
> though.)

> I'll keep chewing on the idea and see what I come up with ... thoughts,
> suggestions, criticism, etc. are welcome.

The Perl community has such a beast, called "Perl Mongers", where people at
or near (usually) major cities can get together and have little get
togethers to talk about Perl stuff.  Thus you have the London.pm (pm = perl
monger, a play on 'perl module'), Minneapolis.pm, etc.  Generally, this
seems to to consist of one or two people giving a presentation, followed by
beer drinking.  I think that one person from the area more or less
volunteers to run it, sets up a mailing list, and mails out invites or
requests for presentations.  I think the average gathering happens about onc
e a month (depending on the group).

You can find a sample page here - http://minneapolis.pm.org/ or
http://london.pm.org/

Now, we just need to replace "monger" with a word that starts with 'b'.

Regards,

Dan

Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:59:55 GMT
 Ruby Camps and a Ruby Day (ideas)

Quote:

> the
> pick

> > > Maybe worth considering, but I guess my reservation is that the more
> > > complex a plan, and the broader the consensus it requires, the less
> > > likely it is ever to happen.  I think Ruby camps (or whatever) should
> > > be encouraged to spring up whe[rn]ever possible.  That wouldn't
> > > necessarily mean that what you're envisioning could never happen --
> > > just that if people are eager to meet and have little codefests, it
> > > would sort of be too bad for them not to just go ahead with it.

> > Hmm, yes this is true.  I wasn't thinking about trying to supplant the
> > Ruby Camps, but to compliment them.  I think they serve similar ends but
> > probably target different groups (I'd guess that there is some overlap
> > though.)

> > I'll keep chewing on the idea and see what I come up with ... thoughts,
> > suggestions, criticism, etc. are welcome.

> The Perl community has such a beast, called "Perl Mongers", where people at
> or near (usually) major cities can get together and have little get
> togethers to talk about Perl stuff.  Thus you have the London.pm (pm = perl
> monger, a play on 'perl module'), Minneapolis.pm, etc.  Generally, this
> seems to to consist of one or two people giving a presentation, followed by
> beer drinking.  I think that one person from the area more or less
> volunteers to run it, sets up a mailing list, and mails out invites or
> requests for presentations.  I think the average gathering happens about onc
> e a month (depending on the group).

> You can find a sample page here - http://minneapolis.pm.org/ or
> http://london.pm.org/

> Now, we just need to replace "monger" with a word that starts with 'b'.

We're currently running the Seattle Ruby Brigade (seattle.rb) out here in
the Pacific NW, trying to run monthly meetings (next one is 4/30), and
working on projects (right now we've started a web archiver/web based
mailinglist management interface).

I think that a 'World Ruby Day' could be more than that.  It would be a
day that different ruby user groups, or ad hoc groups could all get
together and work on something which they'd contribute back to teh
community.  I can see some problems that might come up; duplication of
effort and perceived beauracracy are the biggest two that stand out.

thanks,
-pate

> Regards,

> Dan

Thu, 14 Oct 2004 01:29:10 GMT
 Ruby Camps and a Ruby Day (ideas)

Quote:

> Now, we just need to replace "monger" with a word that starts with 'b'.

So, I try to find a synonym for "monger", and head for www.m-w.com, and
they have this as one definition:

2 : a person who attempts to stir up or spread something that is usually
petty or discreditable -- usually used in combination <warmonger>

Anyways, howzabout

  backer
  builder
  believer
  buff

James

Quote:

> Regards,

> Dan

Thu, 14 Oct 2004 01:39:34 GMT
 Ruby Camps and a Ruby Day (ideas)

Quote:

>the
>pick

>> > Maybe worth considering, but I guess my reservation is that the more
>> > complex a plan, and the broader the consensus it requires, the less
>> > likely it is ever to happen.  I think Ruby camps (or whatever) should
>> > be encouraged to spring up whe[rn]ever possible.  That wouldn't
>> > necessarily mean that what you're envisioning could never happen --
>> > just that if people are eager to meet and have little codefests, it
>> > would sort of be too bad for them not to just go ahead with it.

>> Hmm, yes this is true.  I wasn't thinking about trying to supplant the
>> Ruby Camps, but to compliment them.  I think they serve similar ends but
>> probably target different groups (I'd guess that there is some overlap
>> though.)

>> I'll keep chewing on the idea and see what I come up with ... thoughts,
>> suggestions, criticism, etc. are welcome.

>The Perl community has such a beast, called "Perl Mongers", where people at
>or near (usually) major cities can get together and have little get
>togethers to talk about Perl stuff.  Thus you have the London.pm (pm = perl
>monger, a play on 'perl module'), Minneapolis.pm, etc.  Generally, this
>seems to to consist of one or two people giving a presentation, followed by
>beer drinking.  I think that one person from the area more or less
>volunteers to run it, sets up a mailing list, and mails out invites or
>requests for presentations.  I think the average gathering happens about onc
>e a month (depending on the group).

>You can find a sample page here - http://minneapolis.pm.org/ or
>http://london.pm.org/

>Now, we just need to replace "monger" with a word that starts with 'b'.

'booster' - ruby boosters...

Phil

Thu, 14 Oct 2004 01:47:40 GMT
 Ruby Camps and a Ruby Day (ideas)

Quote:

> >Now, we just need to replace "monger" with a word that starts with 'b'.

> 'booster' - ruby boosters...

This is my second favorite so far (accept for the potential spoonerism),
I'm still keen on ruby brigades.

-pate

Quote:

> Phil

Thu, 14 Oct 2004 02:26:32 GMT
 Ruby Camps and a Ruby Day (ideas)
Okay, where's my Erlangen.rb or Nuernberg.rb ? :)

Let's get it on ...

-Martin

Thu, 14 Oct 2004 02:31:44 GMT
 Ruby Camps and a Ruby Day (ideas)
Hi --

Quote:

> The Perl community has such a beast, called "Perl Mongers", where people at
> or near (usually) major cities can get together and have little get
> togethers to talk about Perl stuff.  Thus you have the London.pm (pm = perl
> monger, a play on 'perl module'), Minneapolis.pm, etc.  Generally, this
> seems to to consist of one or two people giving a presentation, followed by
> beer drinking.  I think that one person from the area more or less
> volunteers to run it, sets up a mailing list, and mails out invites or
> requests for presentations.  I think the average gathering happens about onc
> e a month (depending on the group).

Slightly different beast -- what you're describing is more like
local/regional Ruby Users Groups, rather than a (probably one-shot)
code-fest/"camp" attended by people from various places.

(To paraphrase Tobi R.: there's no collision or mutual exclusion between
these ideas.  They're just somewhat different.)

David

--
David Alan Black

Web:  http://pirate.shu.edu/~blackdav

Thu, 14 Oct 2004 04:00:11 GMT
 Ruby Camps and a Ruby Day (ideas)

> > >Now, we just need to replace "monger" with a word that starts with 'b'.

> > 'booster' - ruby boosters...

> This is my second favorite so far (accept for the potential spoonerism),

A {*filter*}y rooster??? I had to laugh out loud...

Hal Fulton

Thu, 14 Oct 2004 08:05:39 GMT

1. pthread trouble with ruby-opengl on FreeBSD (was: Re: [announcement] Ruby 3D Ruby)

2. Ruby books (Ruby NG FAQ, Ruby FAQ, home page)

3. Idea: Ruby Object Persistence Service

4. Ruby Conference idea

5. Ruby Conference idea

6. Ruby GUI - ideas from XEBOT?

7. RIDE (Ruby IDE) and FreeRIDE merge -- a call for ideas and help

8. Idea for minor versions of Ruby

9. Ruby on a JVM - good or bad idea?

10. Ideas for Ruby (A Python/Perl phrasebook)

11. ruby accounts for 25 Hours in a day (2003-03-30)

12. Errata Ch 13-15 Teach Yourself Ruby in 21 Days