troubleshooting with them.

TIA

  Mark

Tue, 24 May 2005 00:27:19 GMT
 Solaris and ruby libraries
I have no problems with Ruby on Solaris yet.  But I have GNU/Linux like set
up (gcc3.2 etc)
Quote:
-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2002 9:27 AM

Subject: Solaris and ruby libraries

Are there any well-known gotchas/pitfalls when configuring and compiling
ruby on Solaris? Someone I know has done an installation and found that
the interpreter can't find its shared libraries (e.g., "require
'socket'" fails).  I don't know any more details than that yet.  Maybe
they did something dumb, but I thought I'd check here before diving into
troubleshooting with them.

TIA

  Mark

Tue, 24 May 2005 00:37:24 GMT
 Solaris and ruby libraries
I've found that if you comment out the "socket" lib in the ext/Setup file
when you install Ruby, this error can occur (which seems rather
counter-intuitive to me).  In fact, what is the "socket" in ext/Setup?  How
is it different from the regular socket lib?

If this happens for every lib you try to require (and not just socket),
then try rebuilding with the --enable-shared option.

If that still doesn't work, try setting your LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to
the Ruby lib path.

Regards,

Dan

Quote:

> Are there any well-known gotchas/pitfalls when configuring and compiling
> ruby on Solaris? Someone I know has done an installation and found that
> the interpreter can't find its shared libraries (e.g., "require
> 'socket'" fails).  I don't know any more details than that yet.  Maybe
> they did something dumb, but I thought I'd check here before diving into
> troubleshooting with them.

> TIA

>   Mark

Tue, 24 May 2005 01:02:18 GMT
 Solaris and ruby libraries

D> I've found that if you comment out the "socket" lib in the ext/Setup file

 From the README

  4. Remove comment mark(#) before the module names from ext/Setup (or
     add module names if not present), if you want to link modules
     statically.

Guy Decoux

Tue, 24 May 2005 01:13:16 GMT
 Solaris and ruby libraries
Thanks for the replies.  I'll pass the information along and see if any
of it helps.

  Mark

Quote:

>D> I've found that if you comment out the "socket" lib in the ext/Setup file

> From the README

>  4. Remove comment mark(#) before the module names from ext/Setup (or
>     add module names if not present), if you want to link modules
>     statically.

>Guy Decoux

Tue, 24 May 2005 03:53:16 GMT
 Solaris and ruby libraries

Quote:

>> D> I've found that if you comment out the "socket" lib in the
>> ext/Setup file

>> From the README

>>  4. Remove comment mark(#) before the module names from ext/Setup (or
>>     add module names if not present), if you want to link modules
>>     statically.

>> Guy Decoux

Well, they reinstalled it and all was fine.  They must have done
something differently the second time.

Thu, 26 May 2005 03:25:57 GMT

1. Ruby/SMB - ruby interface to the libsmbclient library

2. irb seg fault with latest ruby build on solaris

3. solaris, Ruby 1.8 p2 - large file compilation environment issue

4. newbie question about solaris and ruby/tk

5. Problem with Ruby v1.67 on Solaris 2.6

6. Problem running Ruby script on Solaris 2.6

7. Ruby & Solaris 9 - Good News

8. Comping Ruby with gcc on Solaris 7

9. Problems compiling ruby on Solaris

10. Building Ruby on Solaris 2.5.1 and LinuxPPC Q4

11. Can't build Ruby 1.6.1 on Sparc Solaris 2.6

12. Problem loading shared library under Solaris 2.51