ENV['HOME'] on win32
Author Message
 ENV['HOME'] on win32

What is the connical workaround for the absense of the HOME variable on the
win32 platform?

Tue, 31 May 2005 18:54:48 GMT
 ENV['HOME'] on win32

Quote:
> What is the connical workaround for the absense of the HOME variable on
the
> win32 platform?

from the prompt:

md c:\home
set HOME=c:\home

set won't last though.
To make it last, right click My Computer, select properties, hit the
advanced tab and edit enviroment variables.
Of course you may choose home elsewhere, but this is what I do.

for example to set home equal to windows default home (Windows 2000)

set HOME=%USERPROFILE%

again you'd have to edit enviroment variables to make it last.

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO PERMANENTLY SET VARIABLES FROM COMMANDLINE?

Mikkel

Tue, 31 May 2005 22:44:22 GMT
 ENV['HOME'] on win32
> > What is the connical workaround for the absense of the HOME variable on
> the
> > win32 platform?

<snip>

> DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO PERMANENTLY SET VARIABLES FROM COMMANDLINE?

> Mikkel

Setx.exe is what is needed.  Unfortunately, it's only available in the NT
4.0 Resource Kit.

Michael

Tue, 31 May 2005 23:37:13 GMT
 ENV['HOME'] on win32

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 10:25:06 -0500

Quote:

> > DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO PERMANENTLY SET VARIABLES FROM COMMANDLINE?

> Setx.exe is what is needed.  Unfortunately, it's only available in the NT
> 4.0 Resource Kit.

It's available from web site.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/s...

--

Wed, 01 Jun 2005 00:33:11 GMT
 ENV['HOME'] on win32

Quote:

> On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 10:25:06 -0500

> > > DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO PERMANENTLY SET VARIABLES FROM COMMANDLINE?

> > Setx.exe is what is needed.  Unfortunately, it's only available in the
NT
> > 4.0 Resource Kit.

> It's available from web site.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/existing/s...
sp
Thanks
- the great thing about this tool is that it's almost more than 600K to
install and when it is installed, it's unknown to the command prompt.
The good thing is that the compressed download expands to only 24K
executable.
In other words, a program that should have been available in the first place
uses 600K to create a subdirectory called Resource Kit and store a file in
that directory.
It's almost as good as the sample programs on MSDN online typically has a
size of 1.5K and addtionally some (as I recall) 50-100K for the
selfextracting executable used to decompress the sample.

Mikkel

Wed, 01 Jun 2005 00:49:58 GMT
 ENV['HOME'] on win32

Quote:

> What is the connical workaround for the absense of the HOME variable on the
> win32 platform?

ENV['HOMEDRIVE']+ENV['HOMEPATH']

   [...],
   Maurcio

Wed, 01 Jun 2005 23:40:16 GMT

1. can't read env(DISPLAY) from regexp with $env(DISPLAY)

2. parsing ENV['PATH']

3. unshifting a directory onto ENV['PATH']

4. Empty strings and 'env' array weirdness

5. Examples of 'Python Programming on Win32'

6. Win32 Tcl and 'C' link problem

7. set dos env's in clipper app??????

8. set dos env's in clipper app??????

9. expect can't read env(TCL_LIBRARY)

10. trace and vwait don't catch env() when set in another interp

11. Don't silently ignore $env(TCL_LIBRARY)

12. source'ing .cshrc and keeping the env variables