There's still a problem with mod_ruby's Makefile.RB
Author Message
 There's still a problem with mod_ruby's Makefile.RB

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, but I build a non-shared
Ruby, then checked out the latest mod_ruby.

I ran

     ruby Makefile.RB --apxs=/tc/usr/apache/bin/apxs

And it generates a Makefile that contains:

     RUBY_INSTALL_NAME = ruby
     LIBRUBYARG = $(LIBRUBY_A)
     OBJS = mod_ruby.o ruby_config.o apachelib.o eruby.o
     TARGET = mod_ruby.so

LIBRUBYARG is invalid, as it hasn't been expanded into the path to my
libruby.a.

When I build mod_ruby, this results in a .so which does not have the
Ruby interpreter embedded. The link doesn't complain, because it's
building a shared library and is expecting to resolve the symbols at
load time. But as I don't have a shared Ruby, this won't happen.
Instead, I get a segv.

If I manually change the Makefile to set LIBRUBYARG to the full path
to libruby.a, my mod_ruby works fine.

Am I missing something, or is this a bug?

Regards

Dave

Sat, 28 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 There's still a problem with mod_ruby's Makefile.RB
Hi,

At 11 Jul 2000 00:28:02 -0500,

Quote:

>      RUBY_INSTALL_NAME = ruby
>      LIBRUBYARG = $(LIBRUBY_A)
(snip)
> LIBRUBYARG is invalid, as it hasn't been expanded into the path to my
> libruby.a.

Please apply this patch to Makefile.RB.

--- Makefile.RB 2000/05/19 05:32:10     1.13

   exit(1)
 end

-$LIBRUBYARG = CONFIG["LIBRUBYARG"]
+begin
+  $LIBRUBYARG = Config.expand(CONFIG["LIBRUBYARG"])
+rescue
+  $LIBRUBYARG = CONFIG["LIBRUBYARG"]
+end
 if $LIBRUBYARG =~ /\.a$/
   $shared = false
   $LIBRUBYARG = $hdrdir + "/" + $LIBRUBYARG

Shugo

Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Blocking sockobj.makefile('w') objects

2. Tcl makefile should support 'uninstall' target

3. stream('file','c','seek ='x) problem

4. Adding 'Applescriptability' to a RB application

5. Added a 'dist' rule to mkmf.rb Makefile

6. Problem with ''Mailbox''

7. suEXEC won't work with mod_ruby ?

8. STklos (SunOS 5.3): Can't find Makefile.sun

9. Buglet in Makefile.pre.in's install target

10. Aargh - can't get makefile to work in gfortran under WindowsXP

11. install target in makefile.vc doesn't set the registry key

12. open('.', 'rb') on python 2.3