new host at ruby-lang.org (or rubyist.org)
Author Message
 new host at ruby-lang.org (or rubyist.org)

Hi,

In message "[ruby-list:25865] Re: new host at ruby-lang.org (or rubyist.o rg)"

|Um guys, would you mind dropping a note of this thread to ruby-talk.
|
|For me it seems there's some host moving going on, and you're discussing
|about new content, like Wiki? (I'm probably way off... :)
|
|       - Aleksi

Your guess is incredibly right.  We are talking about
creation of new Ruby related site focused on community, and
ideas and volunteers are welcome.

                                                        matz.

Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:27:50 GMT
 new host at ruby-lang.org (or rubyist.org)

Quote:

> ...  We are talking about
> creation of new Ruby related site focused on community, and
> ideas and volunteers are welcome.

I favor the proliferation of many ruby sites.

In that context, I think it would be noteworthy to have some means
to share content between sites. One obvious one is implementing RSS
and similar methods. That would allow some standardization and consistency
among the various sites. A nicer setup would be to use dRuby somehow.

I think it would be nice to have a section that highlights various
projects being implemented with ruby as a component.

There should also be a form for subscribing/unsubscribing to the
various ruby mailing lists, to make it easier for people.

One thing I would be willing to volunteer for is to create a summary
of the mailing list ruby-talk, since I read it all the time anyway,
and was planning on creating a weekly or bi-weekly summary anyway.
This is one of the items that could be shared among all the current
and future ruby sites ;-)

Guy N. Hurst

--
HurstLinks Web Development    http://www.hurstlinks.com/
Norfolk, VA - (757)623-9688

Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:22:55 GMT

In message "[ruby-talk:6266] Re: [ruby-list:25865] Re: new host at ruby-lang.org (or rubyist.org)"

|In that context, I think it would be noteworthy to have some means
|to share content between sites. One obvious one is implementing RSS
|and similar methods. That would allow some standardization and consistency
|among the various sites. A nicer setup would be to use dRuby somehow.
|
|I think it would be nice to have a section that highlights various
|projects being implemented with ruby as a component.
|
|There should also be a form for subscribing/unsubscribing to the
|various ruby mailing lists, to make it easier for people.

Thank you for the ideas.

|One thing I would be willing to volunteer for is to create a summary
|of the mailing list ruby-talk, since I read it all the time anyway,
|and was planning on creating a weekly or bi-weekly summary anyway.
|This is one of the items that could be shared among all the current
|and future ruby sites ;-)

I'd like to make new site to support Ruby community.  And a summary
for mailing list would be a great content for it.  Thank you again
for volunteering.

                                                        matz.

Wed, 30 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT

Guy N. Hurst writes:

# > ...  We are talking about
# > creation of new Ruby related site focused on community, and
# > ideas and volunteers are welcome.
<...>
# One thing I would be willing to volunteer for is to create a summary
# of the mailing list ruby-talk, since I read it all the time anyway,
# and was planning on creating a weekly or bi-weekly summary anyway.
# This is one of the items that could be shared among all the current
# and future ruby sites ;-)

Hmm. Does this perhaps mean that in addition to:

  Subject:
        Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly python news and links (Nov 6)

  Subject:
        Dr. Dobb's Tcl-URL! - weekly Tcl news and links (Nov 6)

that we might soon be seeing:

  Subject:
        Dr. Dobb's Ruby-URL! - weekly Ruby news and links (Nov 20)

Just a thought....

Conrad Schneiker

Fri, 02 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 new host at ruby-lang.org (or rubyist.org)

Quote:

> Guy N. Hurst writes:
> # One thing I would be willing to volunteer for is to create a summary
> # of the mailing list ruby-talk, since I read it all the time anyway,
> # and was planning on creating a weekly or bi-weekly summary anyway.
> # This is one of the items that could be shared among all the current
> # and future ruby sites ;-)

> Hmm. Does this perhaps mean that in addition to:
> that we might soon be seeing:

>   Subject:
>         Dr. Dobb's Ruby-URL! - weekly Ruby news and links (Nov 20)

> Just a thought....

That is very interesting - thanks for bringing this up.

I checked out the Python URL! and it looks like something close but
not quite the same that I was thinking of. It simply gives a summary
and then a link to the deja.com posting of a handful of posts.

I suppose it would be a good idea to ask the community just what
they would expect, and what they would find useful, for something
like this. Would Ruby-URL! be all that is needed? OR is there a
need for an actual content summary with all relevent info in the
email rather than just links to it?

Comments?

Guy N. Hurst

--
HurstLinks Web Development    http://www.hurstlinks.com/
Norfolk, VA - (757)623-9688
PHP/MySQL - Ruby/Perl - HTML/Javascript

Fri, 02 May 2003 23:03:39 GMT
 new host at ruby-lang.org (or rubyist.org)

Quote:
> I checked out the Python URL! and it looks like something close but
> not quite the same that I was thinking of. It simply gives a summary
> and then a link to the deja.com posting of a handful of posts.

Just as an aside, DDJ does have some Ruby information at

     http://www.ddj.com/topics/altlang/

I suspect if we made a point of sending Mark Baker information, then
he'd post it. Perhaps the 1.6.2 release might be our first
announcement.

Does anyone fancy taking the role of group publicity person?

Dave

Sat, 03 May 2003 00:15:17 GMT
 new host at ruby-lang.org (or rubyist.org)
Guy N. Hurst wrote,

# >
# > ...
#
# That is very interesting - thanks for bringing this up.
#
# I checked out the Python URL! and it looks like something close but
# not quite the same that I was thinking of. It simply gives a summary
# and then a link to the deja.com posting of a handful of posts.
#
# I suppose it would be a good idea to ask the community just what
# they would expect, and what they would find useful, for something
# like this. Would Ruby-URL! be all that is needed? OR is there a
# need for an actual content summary with all relevent info in the
# email rather than just links to it?

I would like a URL + an actual content summary (which I expect would
typically turn out to be the most useful).

My hope is that Dr. Dobb's would provide quite a bit of discretion for
supplementary comments. The reason for not doing this at present for
Python and Tcl may be that it is a lot more work. ... Speaking of which,
thanks in advance!

Conrad Schneiker

Sat, 03 May 2003 03:58:26 GMT
 new host at ruby-lang.org (or rubyist.org)
I would prefer something more like Linux Kernel
Traffic (perhaps this is your inspiration?).  Kernel
Traffic is at http://kt.linuxcare.com.

I considered doing something like that for the XP
list, but the volume and frequency of birdwalking and
subject changes makes it a bit daunting.  I find the
format to be really useful--embedded info, less
links--especially for a subject like the linux kernel.
 I think a summary like that would be great for this
list, since the pattern is more oriented to small,
cohesive conversations.

Quote:

> > Guy N. Hurst writes:
> > # One thing I would be willing to volunteer for is
> to create a summary
> > # of the mailing list ruby-talk, since I read it
> all the time anyway,
> > # and was planning on creating a weekly or
> bi-weekly summary anyway.
> > # This is one of the items that could be shared
> among all the current
> > # and future ruby sites ;-)

> > Hmm. Does this perhaps mean that in addition to:
> > that we might soon be seeing:

> >   Subject:
> >         Dr. Dobb's Ruby-URL! - weekly Ruby news
> and links (Nov 20)

> > Just a thought....

> That is very interesting - thanks for bringing this
> up.

> I checked out the Python URL! and it looks like
> something close but
> not quite the same that I was thinking of. It simply
> gives a summary
> and then a link to the deja.com posting of a handful
> of posts.

> I suppose it would be a good idea to ask the
> community just what
> they would expect, and what they would find useful,
> for something
> like this. Would Ruby-URL! be all that is needed? OR
> is there a
> need for an actual content summary with all relevent
> info in the
> email rather than just links to it?

> Comments?

> Guy N. Hurst

> --
> HurstLinks Web Development
> http://www.hurstlinks.com/
> Norfolk, VA - (757)623-9688
> PHP/MySQL - Ruby/Perl - HTML/Javascript

http://calendar.yahoo.com/

Sat, 03 May 2003 10:21:34 GMT
 new host at ruby-lang.org (or rubyist.org)
Hi,

Chad Fowler writes (rearranged for readability):

# > >
# > > Guy N. Hurst writes:
# > > ...
# > > # One thing I would be willing to volunteer for is
# > to create a summary
# > > # of the mailing list ruby-talk, since I read it
# > all the time anyway,
# > > # and was planning on creating a weekly or
# > bi-weekly summary anyway.
# > > # This is one of the items that could be shared
# > among all the current
# > > # and future ruby sites ;-)
# > >
# > > Hmm. Does this perhaps mean that in addition to:
# > > ...
# > > that we might soon be seeing:
# > >
# > >   Subject:
# > >         Dr. Dobb's Ruby-URL! - weekly Ruby news
# > and links (Nov 20)
# ...
[...]

Another interesting example appears at the top of Perl's home page
(http://www.perl.com), which has links to the weekly P5P (Perl 5 Porters)
weekly digest and archives.

Side note: By sheer coincidence, the current digest
(http://www.perl.com/pub/2000/11/p5pdigest/THISWEEK-20001107.html)
includes a discussion of a regex stack overflow problem, and the
difficulties of a general fix for it.

(By the way, please follow the standard newsgroup Netiquitte conventions
of selectively quoting the material you are referring to before you refer
to it.)

Conrad Schneiker

Sat, 03 May 2003 13:50:14 GMT
 new host at ruby-lang.org (or rubyist.org)

Quote:
> I checked out the Python URL! and it looks like something close but
> not quite the same that I was thinking of. It simply gives a summary
> and then a link to the deja.com posting of a handful of posts.

What you're after is something more like the python-dev summaries
(http://www.amk.ca/python/dev/) or the perl5-porter summaries
(http://www.perl.com/pub/q/archivep5p).

--amk

Sat, 03 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. xml.smalltalk.org, mod.smalltalk.org and camp.smalltalk.org DNS problems resolved

2. missing file for http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=shell

3. www.ruby-lang.org article submitter wanted

4. cvs.ruby-lang.org access

5. Bi-Temporal PostgreSQL - http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=btpgsql

6. http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=pgconngroup

7. Toward ruby-lang.org renewal; trial website offered

8. www.ruby-lang.org maintenance

9. Anonymous CVS access to cvs.ruby-lang.org

10. Rubicon has moved to ruby-lang.org

11. ruby-lang.org

12. xml.smalltalk.org and mod.smalltalk.org