ANN: Locana, a new GUI tool kit for Ruby
Author Message
 ANN: Locana, a new GUI tool kit for Ruby

Hello,

I would like to announce a new project I recently started that allows me
to create a user interface (GUI) in Ruby and run it on more than one
platform.  Currently, I plan to support mswin32, Tk, and html.  I have
portions of the code working for all three platforms.  It should be
fairly easy to add new platforms (I call them widget bindings).

Currently the software is not yet ready for download.  I am at a point
in the development where I feel this is a worth while project and felt
that announcing it would be wise.  I am planning the first release in a
few weeks.

You can get more details about locana at http://www.*-*-*.com/ .  I have
created several mailing lists for sharing ideas about the future of
locana.  The details can be found at www.locana.org.  BTW, this web site
was created from locana.rb using rdoc.  Very nice!

FYI: locana.rb is the interface that Ruby programs will use.
Locana_mswin32.rb is a widget binding for the mswin32 platform.  The Tk
and html widget binding are very similar to the mswin32 binding.

Thanks.

--
Michael Davis
Database Architect and Senior Software Engineer, Seva Inc.

Sat, 03 Jul 2004 15:20:33 GMT
 ANN: Locana, a new GUI tool kit for Ruby
   Hi Michael,

Quote:
> I would like to announce a new project I recently started that allows me
> to create a user interface (GUI) in Ruby and run it on more than one
> platform.  Currently, I plan to support mswin32, Tk, and html.  I have
> portions of the code working for all three platforms.  It should be
> fairly easy to add new platforms (I call them widget bindings).

   GUI projects gotta have screen-shots to motivate visitors. Especially
good for this project would be one small form shown on each platform. As an
example, PythonCard has
http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/samples2.html
   whch displays screen-shots of quite a few demonstrations including some
which are shown on both Windows and GTK+/X/Linux.

   The anygui project (another python thing) has
http://anygui.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php

   Neil

Sat, 03 Jul 2004 17:04:11 GMT
 ANN: Locana, a new GUI tool kit for Ruby

Quote:

> Hello,

> I would like to announce a new project I recently started that allows me
> to create a user interface (GUI) in Ruby and run it on more than one
> platform.  Currently, I plan to support mswin32, Tk, and html.  I have
> portions of the code working for all three platforms.  It should be
> fairly easy to add new platforms (I call them widget bindings).

Small examples, with code and screenshots?

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/

Sat, 03 Jul 2004 18:00:43 GMT
 ANN: Locana, a new GUI tool kit for Ruby

Quote:

>> Hello,

>> I would like to announce a new project I recently started that allows
>> me to create a user interface (GUI) in Ruby and run it on more than
>> one platform.  Currently, I plan to support mswin32, Tk, and html.  I
>> have portions of the code working for all three platforms.  It should
>> be fairly easy to add new platforms (I call them widget bindings).

> Small examples, with code and screenshots?

> Tobi

Great suggestion.  I will add some soon.

--
Michael Davis
Database Architect and Senior Software Engineer, Seva Inc.

Sat, 03 Jul 2004 21:54:31 GMT

1. ANN: Locana GUI and GUI Builder version 0.81

2. FW: [ANN] New release of Ruby Development Tools plugin for Eclipse

3. WINGKR (Win32 GUI Kit for Ruby)

4. locana, SVG, cross-platform GUI meanderings...

5. New Release of Free Ada 95 Compiler/Tool Kit for DOS

6. ANNOUNCEMENT: Tcl Dev Kit (New Tcl tool suite based on TclPro)

7. ANN: rdep (Ruby Dependency Tool)

8. New Gui Front End Tool

9. ANN: New release of ruby plugin for eclipse

10. ANN: Ruby/Tk Widget Demos at new home

11. ANN: VRMLmagic - New Interactive 3D VRML Web/World Authoring Tool

12. Abstracted GUI APIs (was: RANT: Ruby GUI API)