ncurses and ruby
Author Message
 ncurses and ruby

Hi,

The curses lib for ruby lacks documentation completely.  The examples
only show very basic functionality... how complete is the curses bind
(does it include the forms library?)  and are their any *good* examples
i might find to illustrate it?

Thanks,
Cam

Thu, 06 Jan 2005 05:55:45 GMT
 ncurses and ruby
hi.

I have written a a yahoo chat client that uses the curses lib.. it's not a very good example, but it may help you

i dunno about the forms lib but have a look anyway

http://my{*filter*}.summerfield-technology.co.uk

regards
charles

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002 06:52:32 +0900

Quote:

> Hi,

> The curses lib for ruby lacks documentation completely.  The examples
> only show very basic functionality... how complete is the curses bind
> (does it include the forms library?)  and are their any *good* examples
> i might find to illustrate it?

> Thanks,
> Cam

Thu, 06 Jan 2005 06:53:02 GMT
 ncurses and ruby

Quote:

> Hi,

> The curses lib for ruby lacks documentation completely.  The examples
> only show very basic functionality... how complete is the curses bind
> (does it include the forms library?)  and are their any *good* examples
> i might find to illustrate it?

You might like to have a look at the ncurses library written by Tobias
Peters. It doesn't try and provide a higher level abstraction so all
existing ncurses documentation is relevant.

http://ncurses-ruby.berlios.de/

Regards,
Doug

Thu, 06 Jan 2005 14:01:40 GMT
 ncurses and ruby

Quote:

> You might like to have a look at the ncurses library written by Tobias
> Peters. It doesn't try and provide a higher level abstraction so all
> existing ncurses documentation is relevant.
> http://ncurses-ruby.berlios.de/

Thanks for pointing there ;). The only enhancement that this binding
provides is that you can call functions that operate on/in WINDOWs by
sending messages to them. So its possible to rewrite
  Ncurses::wmove(window,y,x)
as
  window.move(y,x)

But all the C functions are still there and accessible...

Quote:

> > only show very basic functionality... how complete is the curses bind
> > (does it include the forms library?)  and are their any *good* examples
> > i might find to illustrate it?

My ncurses binding also wraps the panel library, but neither the menu nor
the form library. They could be wrapped quite similar to the panel
library, and I'd happily accept patches and / or co-developers doing that.

Tobias

Sat, 08 Jan 2005 17:35:12 GMT

1. ncurses in ruby

2. help with ncurses - if anyone can give me a simple ncurses program

3. ncurses-ruby on cygwin

4. ncurses-ruby 0.7

5. ruby-1.6.8-preview4 compile fails in ncurses

6. ncurses-ruby 0.6

7. Is there any Ruby app using ncurses?

8. ruby and ncurses

9. pthread trouble with ruby-opengl on FreeBSD (was: Re: [announcement] Ruby 3D Ruby)

10. Ruby books (Ruby NG FAQ, Ruby FAQ, home page)

11. Ncurses in haskell

12. ncurses and Gwydion Dylan