RUBY NEWSGROUP FAQ -- Rough draft.
Author Message
 RUBY NEWSGROUP FAQ -- Rough draft.

Hi,

Here's the previously proposed Ruby Newsgroup FAQ.

The idea is to post it every couple of weeks or so for the benefit of
newcomers to comp.lang.ruby.

Feedback welcome -- remember that we want to keep it brief, if we keep it at
all.

Conrad

==================================

RUBY NEWSGROUP FAQ -- Welcome to comp.lang.ruby!

(Last modified on 2000-05-24.)

This FAQ contains information for those who want to

  1) learn more about Ruby, and to
  2) post to comp.lang.ruby.

1 About Ruby.

1.1 What is Ruby?

    Ruby is a relatively new, very high level, fully OO language that
    integrated many good ideas from Perl, Python, Smalltalk, Eiffel,
    ADA, Clu, and Lisp. Ruby is a relatively easy to learn and easy to
    read language, yet it is very powerful and sophisticated. For many
    of us, Ruby is "better Perl than Perl" and a "better python than
    Python". You could characterize the Ruby philosophy as "there's a
    better way to do it" (TABWTDI).

1.2 Where can I find out more about Ruby?

    Ruby home page:

        http://www.*-*-*.com/

        Follow the links to documentation, downloads, the Ruby
        application archive, the Ruby mail list archives, and lots of
        other interesting information.

    Ruby FAQ:

        http://www.*-*-*.com/

    Ruby classes, modules, and methods reference:

        http://www.*-*-*.com/

2 About comp.lang.ruby.

2.1 Tell me about comp.lang.ruby.

    comp.lang.ruby was officially approved in early June, 2000. Here
    is the official charter:

    CHARTER: comp.lang.ruby

    The comp.lang.ruby newsgroup is devoted to discussions of the Ruby
    programming language and related issues.

    Examples of relevant postings include, but are not be limited to,
    the following subjects:

    - Bug reports
    - Announcements of software written with Ruby
    - Examples of Ruby code
    - Suggestions for Ruby developers
    - Requests for help from new Ruby programmers

    The newsgroup is not moderated.  Binaries are prohibited (except
    the small PGP type). Advertising is prohibited (except for
    announcements of new Ruby-related products).

    END CHARTER.

2.2 Tell me about the prolific Matz poster.

    Matz is the wizard that created Ruby. Be nice to him. See the
    Ruby home page to find out more.

2.3 Tell me the posting guidelines for comp.lang.ruby.

    (1) First of all, be considerate: don't be too lazy. If you are
        seeking information, first make a reasonable effort to look it
        up. As appropriate, check the Ruby home page, check the Ruby
        FAQ and other documentation, use deja.com to search past
        comp.lang.ruby postings and so on.

    (2) Make the subject line maximally informative, so that people
        who should be interested will read your post and so that people
        who wouldn't be interested can easily avoid it.

        (a) Start with one of these keywords if appropriate:

            ANNOUNCE -- new Ruby code, docs, or URLs of interest.
            BUG      -- report a definite bug.
            ERROR    -- report an error; don't know if it's a bug.
            JOB      -- advertise a Ruby-related job.
            OT       -- off topic.
            PRODUCT  -- advertise a Ruby-related product.

        (b) Describe the contents of your post:

            This is OK:

                "How can I do x with y on z?"
                "Bug: doing x with module y crashed z"

            This is NOT OK:

                "Newbie question"
                "Need Ruby guru to tell me what's wrong"

        (c) If reporting a problem, give all the relevant information;
            this isn't the psychic friends newsgroup. When
            appropriate, include:

            - The version of Ruby.
            - The compiler version used to build Ruby.
            - The OS type and level.
            - The actual error messages.
            - A simple example that produces the problem.

3. Where does this FAQ end?

    Right about here for the time being. Meanwhile, remember that one
    of the reasons that Ruby was designed to be relatively simple,
    uniform, yet very powerful was to make programming fun. Enjoy. :-)

Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 RUBY NEWSGROUP FAQ -- Rough draft.

Quote:

>     Ruby FAQ:

>         http://www.rubycentral.com/ref/

                                     ^^^ faq

Quote:
> 2.1 Tell me about comp.lang.ruby.

>     comp.lang.ruby was officially approved in early June, 2000. Here

                                                May?  ^^^^

Quote:
>         (a) Start with one of these keywords if appropriate:

>             ANNOUNCE -- new Ruby code, docs, or URLs of interest.
>             BUG      -- report a definite bug.

I think we might mention the bug database somewhere.

Perhaps something like:

   If posting a bug report, please copy your message to

   This will enter your report into the Ruby bug database. You can
   browse the database at

        http://www.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/ruby-bugs

Quote:
>             JOB      -- advertise a Ruby-related job.

Yes!

Conrad:

Nice work. Thanks for all your efforts getting the newsgroup
established, and helping it run smoothly.

Regards

Dave

Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 RUBY NEWSGROUP FAQ -- Rough draft.

> >     Ruby FAQ:

> >         http://www.rubycentral.com/ref/
>                                      ^^^ faq

Oops!

Quote:
> > 2.1 Tell me about comp.lang.ruby.

> >     comp.lang.ruby was officially approved in early June, 2000. Here
>                                                 May?  ^^^^

Looks like my mind's on (an upcoming) vacation.

Quote:
> >         (a) Start with one of these keywords if appropriate:

> >             ANNOUNCE -- new Ruby code, docs, or URLs of interest.
> >             BUG      -- report a definite bug.

> I think we might mention the bug database somewhere.

> Perhaps something like:

>    If posting a bug report, please copy your message to

>    This will enter your report into the Ruby bug database. You can
>    browse the database at

>         http://www.ruby-lang.org/cgi-bin/ruby-bugs

Good point.

I'm also going to include or paraphrase your recently posted note about what
makes Ruby so great, plus mention forthcoming English Ruby books.

Quote:
> >             JOB      -- advertise a Ruby-related job.

> Yes!

I figured this would help sell people on Ruby, while hopefully providing
some useful feedback.

Quote:
> Conrad:

> Nice work. Thanks for all your efforts getting the newsgroup
> established, and helping it run smoothly.

You're welcome. And thanks for the proofreading.

Conrad

Sun, 10 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. RUBY NEWSGROUP FAQ -- 2nd draft.

2. Very rough, incomplete draft of an M (MUMPS) FAQ available

3. RUBY NEWSGROUP FAQ -- Welcome to comp.lang.ruby!

4. RUBY NEWSGROUP FAQ -- Welcome to comp.lang.ruby!

5. Ruby Newsgroup FAQ (comp.lang.ruby)

6. RUBY NEWSGROUP FAQ -- Welcome to comp.lang.ruby!

7. Ruby books (Ruby NG FAQ, Ruby FAQ, home page)

8. OT: New Ruby Working Draft Published

9. draft: ruby embedded into c++

10. FAQ indexer offerred for ruby faq

11. J FAQ (draft)