any thoughts on creating jsp counterpart (rsp, ruby server pages) for dynamic web pages
Author Message
 any thoughts on creating jsp counterpart (rsp, ruby server pages) for dynamic web pages

-Harvinder

Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:55:01 GMT
 any thoughts on creating jsp counterpart (rsp, ruby server pages) for dynamic web pages

Yes: try eRuby. You can find it on the RAA
(http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/raa.html).

Jim
--

"Eating kittens is just plain ... plain wrong! And no one should do it, ever!"
    -- The Tick

Mon, 05 Jul 2004 00:53:07 GMT
 any thoughts on creating jsp counterpart (rsp, ruby server pages) for dynamic web pages
Yo!

Maybe it would be a good idea not to invent another proprietary server
page syntax, but to create XSP for ruby. XSP was originally invented
in Apache's Cocoon project (http://xml.apache.org) and was then ported
to Perl (http://www.axkit.org). In my opinion it is the cleanest
approach, because it strictly separates application and presentation.

Cheers,

  <maik/>

Mon, 05 Jul 2004 14:08:48 GMT
 any thoughts on creating jsp counterpart (rsp, ruby server pages) for dynamic web pages
Quote:

>Maybe it would be a good idea not to invent another proprietary server
>page syntax, but to create XSP for ruby. XSP was originally invented
>in Apache's Cocoon project (http://xml.apache.org) and was then ported
>to Perl (http://www.axkit.org). In my opinion it is the cleanest
>approach, because it strictly separates application and presentation.

Well, then you might like to hear about my project!  It's a framework
*VERY* similar to Cocoon 2 for Ruby.  Currently runs under Apache using
mod_ruby!

I plan to release the first version for public consumption on or around
monday.  I need to do two things over the weekend to prep it: finish the
basic documentation and get the sample application to a point where it's
useable.

The sample application is currently online at: http://links.terralab.com/

and the sitemap is at: http://links.terralab.com/sitemap.xml

Go ahead and login as guest and poke around.  This application is
something I had written in Cocoon1, half assed ported to Cocoon2, and am
now rebuilding with my framework in Ruby.  I've been itching to get it
done, but as much as I like Cocoon2, I just don't have the Java bug,
hence my framework.  The remote links application will make a perfect
example of how to build applications with the framework and will grow
with the framework overtime.

Since this will be the first version of the framework, it will have some
limitations (one of those being the lack of XSP pages), however I do
think my project is ideal for an XSP implementation.  I will add them in
eventually (unless somebody else does it first).

I don't have an internet connection at home at the moment, so if you
have any questions ask them now as I won't be able to answer after I
leave work today.  However, come monday morning I really hope to be
uploading the first useable version.  I'm really close now, just those
last two things to do and maybe one or two bug fixes.

Bryan

Wed, 07 Jul 2004 02:39:40 GMT
 any thoughts on creating jsp counterpart (rsp, ruby server pages) for dynamic web pages

Quote:

>> Maybe it would be a good idea not to invent another proprietary server
>> page syntax, but to create XSP for ruby. XSP was originally invented
>> in Apache's Cocoon project (http://xml.apache.org) and was then ported
>> to Perl (http://www.axkit.org). In my opinion it is the cleanest
>> approach, because it strictly separates application and presentation.

> Well, then you might like to hear about my project!  It's a framework
> *VERY* similar to Cocoon 2 for Ruby.  Currently runs under Apache using
> mod_ruby!

> I plan to release the first version for public consumption on or around
> monday.  I need to do two things over the weekend to prep it: finish the
> basic documentation and get the sample application to a point where it's
> useable.

Now this looks very interesting :-)

I asked a while back if there would be any interest in a Ruby port of
AxKit but there wasn't. I'm glad to see things taking off in this direction!

Let me know if you want/need any help with the XSP stuff - AxKit's
implementation of it is quite a bit superior to Cocoon's (uses SAX
rather than XSLT), so it'd be nice to share ideas there.

Matt.

Thu, 08 Jul 2004 18:36:49 GMT

1. Python CGI and Jave Server Pages (JSP)

2. Creating Dynamic Web Pages (ZOPE)

3. Generic Server for Dolphin now has web server with ST servlets and ST server pages

4. servlets and server pages for Ruby???

5. RSVP (Ruby SerVer Pages -sort of :-)

6. How2 create sound alert on server when page viewed

7. Ruby books (Ruby NG FAQ, Ruby FAQ, home page)

8. Dynamic web pages! not Dynamic HTML

9. Ruby-ODE (Open Dynamics Engine Ruby binding) 0.01

10. Creating thumbnails from multi-page tiff page images

11. Castalian: the Active Server Pages object model for Python-embedded HTML pages

12. VO Succesfuly created a Client/Server app using VO and MS-SQL Server