Perl interpreter for Ruby?
Author Message
 Perl interpreter for Ruby?

Seems to me there is still a major lack of Ruby hosting in the UK and
maybe elsewhere (seen the list on the wiki too).

It occurred to me that a Ruby interpreter written in Perl(!) would allow
us to run our lovely scripts (albeit slower) on 99% of servers today.

I'm also aware of the cardinal project but that's something different of
course (and not moving by the looks of things..?).

So, any Perl hacks around? :->

---

Mon, 30 May 2005 09:20:39 GMT
 Perl interpreter for Ruby?

Quote:

>Seems to me there is still a major lack of Ruby hosting in the UK and
>maybe elsewhere (seen the list on the wiki too).

>It occurred to me that a Ruby interpreter written in Perl(!) would allow
>us to run our lovely scripts (albeit slower) on 99% of servers today.

>I'm also aware of the cardinal project but that's something different of
>course (and not moving by the looks of things..?).

Well, it is moving a bit slowly I'll admit.

But doing a Ruby interpreter in Perl wouldn't be trival either...

Do keep asking your ISP/web hosting folks for Ruby.  I recently asked my
ISP and my University to install Ruby and neither of them even questioned
the request.  My ISP had it installed within the hour and my University
computer support folks had it intalled by the next day ;-)

Phil

--
"Or perhaps the truth is less interesting than the facts?"
Amy Weiss (accusing theregister.co.uk of engaging in 'tabloid journalism')

Mon, 30 May 2005 09:44:37 GMT

1. My Perl to Ruby Story (was: perl and rub y)

2. Comparing Perl and a Scheme Interpreter on speed

3. perl vs tcl (was Re: New version of C-like interpreter available)

4. Perl => Ruby

5. Ruby advantages over Perl

6. Perl and Ruby: an Irony

7. Ruby<->Perl and syck-0.25 problem

8. Perl \G in Ruby regex?

9. The Year In Scripting Languages Lua/Perl/Python/Ruby/Tcl 2002

10. Ruby in The Perl Journal

11. Ruby in The Perl Review

12. Two Perl -> Ruby Questions