FXRuby debugging options
Author Message
 FXRuby debugging options

Hi,
        So I wrote this cute little FXRuby program to drill my son in arithmetic.
It does some simple animations while drill is going on. I've worked the
obvious bugs out, but now I don't know how to proceed.

At odd times, the program will crash with the message:

./arithmedrill:485: [BUG] Segmentation fault
ruby 1.7.2 (2002-05-22) [i686-linux]
Aborted

Line 485 is simply the app.run line, so no help there.

I've tried it on several different versions of ruby, haven't tried fooling
with the fox installation yet. I went through all sorts of contortions to
get FXRuby compiled on my Mandrake 8.1 box, so there may be something
wrong with the FXRuby/FOX installation in the first place.

I've tried running it under the ruby de{*filter*}, but it crashes as soon as I
start the animation, so I don't get any useful information there either.

What are my debugging options now? This is a fairly dynamic program so I'm
sure it is probably a concurrency issue somewhere, but I need some
direction on how to narrow it down from here.

I'm not only interested in *this* problem, maybe re-installing FXRuby/FOX
from one of the recently available RPM's might do the trick, I'm also
interested in general where to go from here debugging an app like this
written in Ruby using FXRuby.

TIA

--

(Remove commas for address)

Tue, 09 Nov 2004 13:24:02 GMT
 FXRuby debugging options

Quote:
> I've tried running it under the ruby de{*filter*}, but it crashes as soon as I
> start the animation, so I don't get any useful information there either.

> What are my debugging options now? This is a fairly dynamic program so I'm
> sure it is probably a concurrency issue somewhere, but I need some
> direction on how to narrow it down from here.

If it's fairly small I could take a look at it. I've never used Ruby's
de{*filter*} and so I don't know if there are some inherent problems in
using it to debug C/C++-based extensions like FXRuby. I hate to ask, but
have you tried sprinkling a few print (puts) statements here and there
to get an idea of which routine it's actually crashing in?

Quote:
> I'm not only interested in *this* problem, maybe re-installing FXRuby/FOX
> from one of the recently available RPM's might do the trick, I'm also
> interested in general where to go from here debugging an app like this
> written in Ruby using FXRuby.

I doubt that re-installing FOX or FXRuby is going to fix this problem.
Generally speaking, if the examples work OK then your installation is
OK, sort of an all-or-nothing proposition.

Wed, 10 Nov 2004 02:20:31 GMT

1. FXRuby: Changing the options of FXTextField

2. CFD Debug Options

3. debug options in cobol os/390

4. DEBUG option in CEEUOPT

5. debugging options for ifort ?

6. debugging options for GNU Fortran 0.5.26 20000731

7. Embedding Python with debug-option

8. Debug option in F77

9. Setting options box options at runtime

10. LE run time options / COBOL for MVS compiler options / LINKAGE editor

11. Geting list of alowed options of option command

12. Visual option - where can I find the options?