Regina vs IBM REXX: builtin functions
Author Message
 Regina vs IBM REXX: builtin functions

IBM REXX, ever since early VM versions, has allowed builtin function
names to be quoted, for example:

CALL 'LINEOUT' "STDERR", "A test message"

Regina (on Win32 anyway) doesn't allow this, it reports a syntax error.
Is there a reason why Regina doesn't permit the name to be quoted? Not
allowing it to be quoted makes porting IBM REXX code that much more
difficult, especially if advantage has been taken of IBM REXX's ability
to differentiate between an internal and an external or builtin function
of the same name.

Graham.

--
*-* Please remove spam free prefix before replying *-*

Thu, 24 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Regina vs IBM REXX: builtin functions

Quote:

> >IBM REXX, ever since early VM versions, has allowed builtin function
> >names to be quoted, for example:

> >CALL 'LINEOUT' "STDERR", "A test message"

> >Regina (on Win32 anyway) doesn't allow this, it reports a syntax error.

> I think that you have some other problem. The above line works here

I've tried it on two separate systems, one NT4SP6 and one W98SE, using
Regina V2.

Graham.

--
*-* Please remove spam free prefix before replying *-*

Fri, 25 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Regina vs IBM REXX: builtin functions

Quote:

> >> I think that you have some other problem. The above line works here

> >I've tried it on two separate systems, one NT4SP6 and one W98SE, using
> >Regina V2.

> I tried it on W98SE running Regina V2 and it worked as is. You tried a
> REXX script that contained only the above line?

Precisely and exactly only the line:

CALL 'LINEOUT' "STDERR", "A test message"

complete with all quotes. Take the quotes off LINEOUT and it works.
These are the messages:

Error 35 running "H:\regina\test.cmd", line 1: Invalid expression
Error 35.1: Invalid expression detected at " "

Adding the following line as line one merely changes the line number in
the message:

/* REXX */

Needless to say I originally came across the problem in the middle of a
program.

Graham.

--
*-* Please remove spam free prefix before replying *-*

Sat, 26 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Regina vs IBM REXX: builtin functions
Are you running Mark's Regina or Les's multithreaded?
Which version?  If you're using an external lib, some are
silly and require regina to be called Regina.exe (I've seen
it as rexx.exe).  Pretty easy stuff, but that's the kind of simple
things that always get me.

On Tue, 07 Nov 2000 20:05:59 -0800, "Graham C. Norris"

Quote:

>> >I've tried it on two separate systems, one NT4SP6 and one W98SE, using
>> >Regina V2.

>> I tried it on W98SE running Regina V2 and it worked as is. You tried a
>> REXX script that contained only the above line?

>Precisely and exactly only the line:

>CALL 'LINEOUT' "STDERR", "A test message"

>complete with all quotes. Take the quotes off LINEOUT and it works.
>These are the messages:

>Error 35 running "H:\regina\test.cmd", line 1: Invalid expression
>Error 35.1: Invalid expression detected at " "

>Adding the following line as line one merely changes the line number in
>the message:

>/* REXX */

>Needless to say I originally came across the problem in the middle of a
>program.

>Graham.

Sat, 03 May 2003 13:31:57 GMT

1. Regina vs IBM Object Rexx

2. similar function to ibm's RXQUEUE.EXE in REGINA REXX

3. Builtin methods versus Builtin Functions -- help!

4. Regina Rexx -vs- ObjectRexx performance

5. REGINA vs. OS/2 REXX

6. Regina / Linux / external rexx functions

7. external Regina Rexx functions on LINUX?

8. How do you access DLL functions using Regina REXX under Windows NT

9. Rexx-library in Regina & external functions

10. Pickler that handles modules, functions, and builtin functions -- done

11. generic functions to redefine builtin functions - how ?

12. Porting an OS/2 Rexx to Regina Rexx