New user questions
Author Message
 New user questions

(1) Each piece of REXX documentation I have read says that the way to
start a REXX pgm is to type the name of the pgm on a OS/2 command
line.  Is there any reason I shouldn't create a desktop icon for a
REXX pgm?  It seems to work fine - can something bad happen that I
don't know about?  BTW, the REXX pgms run on a OS/2 2.11 fileserver,
which I cannot reboot on a whim due to user concerns.
(2)  I have a REXX script that calls a number of MicroFocus COBOL pgms
and performs some DB2/2 functions as well.  The script runs fine.
Each pgm executes, then returns to REXX and goes on to the next pgm -
one after another.  I wrote the same script with VXREXX and the script
raced from start to finish, not waiting for each COBOL pgm to finish
before it started the next!  I understand (I think) that the VXREXX is
multi-threaded, but I want it to be single-threaded.  Can I change
each CALL PGM statement somehow to force VXREXX  to wait before going
on?
Your thoughts are most appreciated!

Sun, 13 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 New user questions

Quote:

>(1) Each piece of REXX documentation I have read says that the way to
>start a REXX pgm is to type the name of the pgm on a OS/2 command
>line.  Is there any reason I shouldn't create a desktop icon for a
>REXX pgm?  It seems to work fine - can something bad happen that I
>don't know about?  BTW, the REXX pgms run on a OS/2 2.11 fileserver,
>which I cannot reboot on a whim due to user concerns.
>(2)  I have a REXX script that calls a number of MicroFocus COBOL pgms
>and performs some DB2/2 functions as well.  The script runs fine.
>Each pgm executes, then returns to REXX and goes on to the next pgm -
>one after another.  I wrote the same script with VXREXX and the script
>raced from start to finish, not waiting for each COBOL pgm to finish
>before it started the next!  I understand (I think) that the VXREXX is
>multi-threaded, but I want it to be single-threaded.  Can I change
>each CALL PGM statement somehow to force VXREXX  to wait before going
>on?
>Your thoughts are most appreciated!

Did you try:

'ADDRESS CMD program.dir.and.name'

Sun, 13 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 New user questions
Quote:

>>(1) Each piece of REXX documentation I have read says that the way to
>>start a REXX pgm is to type the name of the pgm on a OS/2 command
>>line.  Is there any reason I shouldn't create a desktop icon for a
>>REXX pgm?  It seems to work fine - can something bad happen that I
>>don't know about?  BTW, the REXX pgms run on a OS/2 2.11 fileserver,
>>which I cannot reboot on a whim due to user concerns.
>>(2)  I have a REXX script that calls a number of MicroFocus COBOL pgms
>>and performs some DB2/2 functions as well.  The script runs fine.
>>Each pgm executes, then returns to REXX and goes on to the next pgm -
>>one after another.  I wrote the same script with VXREXX and the script
>>raced from start to finish, not waiting for each COBOL pgm to finish
>>before it started the next!  I understand (I think) that the VXREXX is
>>multi-threaded, but I want it to be single-threaded.  Can I change
>>each CALL PGM statement somehow to force VXREXX  to wait before going
>>on?
>>Your thoughts are most appreciated!

>Did you try:

>'ADDRESS CMD program.dir.and.name'

The answer is that there is NO difference between a program object and a .cmd
object while building a desktop object.  Parameters, etc., are passed the same
way.  At least half the icons on my system have the path and filename in
SETTINGS of D:\BATCH\xxxxxxx.CMD.  You note the archaic path name.  It has
no more than two percent of .BAT files.  As far as the operating system is
concerned, there is no difference between a program and a system call to a
program (in the arena we are discussing).

Warren
http://www.borg.com/~warren

Mon, 14 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 New user questions

Quote:
> (1) Is there any reason I shouldn't create a desktop icon for a REXX pgm?

No reason you shouldn't.  This will work just fine.  I think the
doc only meant to convey that you COULD run rexx programs from
an OS/2 command prompt, not that you MUST.

Quote:
> (2) Can I change each CALL PGM statement somehow to force VXREXX  to wait before going on?

The problem here is that VXREXX implements event-driven
programming (happens to use rexx as event handling language,
could as well use C or C++, etc.).  Your rexx code running from
command line is running as sequential script, so it does things
serially.

How exactly do you intend to use a vxrexx pm interface for
running these COBOL programs, etc.?  Answering this question
will lead you toward determining how to execute the programs in
vxrexx rexx code.

Mon, 14 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. New User Question

2. Q: new user questions

3. Screen load order? -- New user question

4. New User Question

5. new user questions

6. New User Question

7. New user question: py2exe with Pmw

8. New User Question: extension types and python 2.2/class/type

9. New user questions ... be gentle

10. New User Question

11. Basic new user questions

12. 2 Basic questions from a new user