OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT
Author Message
 OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT

How easy/hard is it to port standard OS/2 Rexx scripts to Object Rexx
for NT?

We have about 300 Rexx based utilities (varying sizes/complexity),
which we need to port to Windows NT.  Ideally we want to do this
without having to rewrite code.  But the concern is that key functions
such as QUEUE(), RXQUEUE, and QUEUED() don't behave the same under
Object Rexx for NT.  Am I correct?

Thanks

Ron Beernink
Technical Designer/Planner
Ron Beernink
Technical Planner
Architecture Group, Electronic Business
NZ Post
Wellington, New Zealand

Mon, 11 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT
If you have IBMs Object Rexx, there shouldn't be any problems. RXQUEUE is
still implemented.
I prefer writing and reading files instead of using RXQUEUE, otherwise you
have to pay attention
that only 1 Rexx script uses RXQUEUE at a time.

Mon, 11 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT

Quote:

> How easy/hard is it to port standard OS/2 Rexx scripts to Object Rexx
> for NT?

> We have about 300 Rexx based utilities (varying sizes/complexity),
> which we need to port to Windows NT.  Ideally we want to do this
> without having to rewrite code.  But the concern is that key functions
> such as QUEUE(), RXQUEUE, and QUEUED() don't behave the same under
> Object Rexx for NT.  Am I correct?

Others have pointed out that IBM's Object Rexx on NT handles queues
pretty much the same as on OS/2. There are other things to watch out for
though.

Any commands that are issued from your execs must also exist on NT with
the same operands: even amongst the commands which are shared there are
some subtle variations. The output of commands will likely have
different formats, which is probably a consideration given that you are
asking about RXQUEUE. NT doesn't have explicit local environments, so
there's no setlocal and endlocal. Changes made to the environment in an
NT exec do not persist after it ends (i.e. an implied local
environment). The third parameter to the value function is different on
NT.

I've made a number of existing OS/2 Rexx execs work on NT, the changes
were pretty minor and can be made selective based on the result of a
PARSE SOURCE so you can continue to run the exec on OS/2 after it's
converted.

Graham.

--
*-* Erase "spam_free_" from address to reply *-*

Mon, 11 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT
Thanks for the replies, people.  It sounds like in general it is
doable, but care needs to be taken.  I will be starting an evaluation
next week.

We may also look to use a different scripting language altogether that
will work on OS/2, NT and Linux.  Has anyone got views on what are
good alternatives to Rexx?  Ideally a language that be compiled as
well.

Regards
Ron Beernink
Ron Beernink
Technical Planner
Architecture Group, Electronic Business
NZ Post
Wellington, New Zealand

Mon, 11 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT

Quote:
>  Has anyone got views on what are
> good alternatives to Rexx?  Ideally a language that be compiled as
> well.

Ah, probably Java or retirement! <g> Get someone else to write any DLL's I
need to extend Java, wrap the DLL with VisAge Java.

Michael Lueck

Mon, 11 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT

Quote:
>>  Has anyone got views on what are
>> good alternatives to Rexx?  Ideally a language that be compiled as
>> well.
>Ah, probably Java or retirement! <g> Get someone else to write any
>DLL's I need to extend Java, wrap the DLL with VisAge Java.

How about NetRexx?

-- Dave
dhdurgee<at>digizen<dot>net

Tue, 12 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT

Quote:
> It sounds like in general it is
> doable, but care needs to be taken.  I will be starting an evaluation
> next week.

Yes, indeed doable -- virtually all my Rexx scripts run on both OS/2 and
Win32.  Apart from minor subtle differences in commands, the most common
change I had to make was to alter invocations of the 'cd' command to call
the directory() system function instead.

Quote:
> We may also look to use a different scripting language altogether that
> will work on OS/2, NT and Linux.  Has anyone got views on what are
> good alternatives to Rexx?  Ideally a language that be compiled as
> well.

NetRexx ( http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/netrexx ) may fit the bill; it's
generally compiled, and the interpreter capability is in alpha release.

Mike Cowlishaw

Fri, 15 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT

2. Porting an OS/2 Rexx to Regina Rexx

3. Porting from REXX on VM to Object REXX on AIX or W2000

4. VX-REXX and Object REXX under OS/2

5. Object REXX & VX-REXX under OS/2

6. OS/2 Object REXX (ORX) - how to get DLL to update REXX variable

7. Conversion OS/2 Rexx to Object Rexx for Windows '95

8. porting Vispro/REXX OS/2-programms to Windows NT

9. OS/2 REXX Question (Object REXX Question Inside)

10. VX-REXX/REXX dialog trouble in OS/2 w/ FP17

11. Rexx-to-Rexx IPC under OS/2?

12. Rexx-to-Rexx IPC under OS/2?