IBM Object Rexx v2.1 Development Edition
Author Message
 IBM Object Rexx v2.1 Development Edition

http://www.*-*-*.com/
"Highlight of V2.1:
A free of charge Runtime for Development Edition. This Runtime for
Development Edition allows Object REXX tokenized programs to be executed. If
you want to distribute your own written Object REXX program, for example a
GUI Application, you only have to tokenize your developed program and then
to package it with the Runtime. So your customer do not need any more a
seperate Interpreter Edition"

I just received my order of this product. I purchased the Development
Edition so I could distribute a REXX program to run on some Windows 98
machines which do not have REXX installed. Package information on the
Runtime is sparse (at least so far).

Question 1: How does one "package it with the Runtime?" (I know about
tokenizing with REXXC.) Do I package the entire \REDIST (8 megabytes)
subdirectory and have the target machine run SETUPRT.EXE?

Question 2: Will Object Rexx 2.1 (either edition, or runtime) work on a
Windows 95 computer? None of the 2.1 documentation mentions Windows 95, but
the 2.1 REXXTRY and Workbench both say "Windows NT/95" in the title bar and
"....Program on Windows 95" after executing a statement.

Thanks for any info.
Joel Poole

Mon, 08 Dec 2003 01:51:05 GMT
 IBM Object Rexx v2.1 Development Edition

Quote:

> Question 1: How does one "package it with the Runtime?" (I know about
> tokenizing with REXXC.) Do I package the entire \REDIST (8 megabytes)
> subdirectory and have the target machine run SETUPRT.EXE?

Correct, and if you used OODialog stuff, then include the three cls files and
the dll file. I build the dir structures on the RunTime and Interperter edition
packages to match the developer edition - adding ...\OODialog under ObjRexx,
putting that dir in the path.

Quote:
> Question 2: Will Object Rexx 2.1 (either edition, or runtime) work on a
> Windows 95 computer? None of the 2.1 documentation mentions Windows 95, but
> the 2.1 REXXTRY and Workbench both say "Windows NT/95" in the title bar and
> "....Program on Windows 95" after executing a statement.

I don't know why not. It better - I just had a Summer intern write a ObjectRexx
app to port corporate app settings / data off of unmanaged Win95 boxes to aid
the migration to managed Windows 2000. Oh, wait a minute - he does have the
Interperter edition installed on his Win95 test box, I was thinking I couldn't
lay my hands on the CD that day and had used 1.0.3.0 - but that is not the case.
I would think RunTime will be just as happy.

Happy Coding!

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems

Mon, 08 Dec 2003 06:53:55 GMT
 IBM Object Rexx v2.1 Development Edition
On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 10:51:05 -0700, "Joel Poole"

Quote:

>Question 1: How does one "package it with the Runtime?" (I know about
>tokenizing with REXXC.) Do I package the entire \REDIST (8 megabytes)
>subdirectory and have the target machine run SETUPRT.EXE?

Joel,
        You will only need the OODialog files if your tokenized
programs require them; HOWEVER, be aware that if you run SETUPRT.exe
the OODialog files will NOT be automatically copied to your new system
during the install.  You will have to manually copy them to the
Program Files\Objrexx folder.  (This is based on my experience, not
official word from IBM).

Quote:

>Question 2: Will Object Rexx 2.1 (either edition, or runtime) work on a
>Windows 95 computer? None of the 2.1 documentation mentions Windows 95, but
>the 2.1 REXXTRY and Workbench both say "Windows NT/95" in the title bar and
>"....Program on Windows 95" after executing a statement.

Like Mike said, "don't see why not"; however, I haven't tried this, so
I can't be sure.  Of course the best way to know is to try it -
there's always the uninstall if it doesn't work.

Lee Peedin
VP RexxLA

Quote:

>Thanks for any info.
>Joel Poole

Mon, 08 Dec 2003 20:10:59 GMT
 IBM Object Rexx v2.1 Development Edition
Joel

You need to run SETUPRT.EXE once on each machine to install the
redistribution runtime.
Don't forget to copy OODIALOG.cls, OODPLAIN.cls, OODWIN32.cls, and
oodialog.dll
to the C:\Program Files\ObjRexx\ directory on the target machine if your
scripts need them.  I don't know why IBM did not include these items as part
of the SETUPRT.EXE.

Your application can be copied to its own Program Files\... directory.  You
run your script by executing "rexx yourapp.orx" or "rexxhide yourapp.orx"
from that directory.

I know the previous version of Objrexx runs on Win95 and I expect that 2.1
will run.

Dave Johnson

Quote:
> http://www-4.ibm.com/software/ad/obj-rexx/orx_sys.html
> "Highlight of V2.1:
> A free of charge Runtime for Development Edition. This Runtime for
> Development Edition allows Object REXX tokenized programs to be executed.
If
> you want to distribute your own written Object REXX program, for example a
> GUI Application, you only have to tokenize your developed program and then
> to package it with the Runtime. So your customer do not need any more a
> seperate Interpreter Edition"

> I just received my order of this product. I purchased the Development
> Edition so I could distribute a REXX program to run on some Windows 98
> machines which do not have REXX installed. Package information on the
> Runtime is sparse (at least so far).

> Question 1: How does one "package it with the Runtime?" (I know about
> tokenizing with REXXC.) Do I package the entire \REDIST (8 megabytes)
> subdirectory and have the target machine run SETUPRT.EXE?

> Question 2: Will Object Rexx 2.1 (either edition, or runtime) work on a
> Windows 95 computer? None of the 2.1 documentation mentions Windows 95,
but
> the 2.1 REXXTRY and Workbench both say "Windows NT/95" in the title bar
and
> "....Program on Windows 95" after executing a statement.

> Thanks for any info.
> Joel Poole

Fri, 12 Dec 2003 23:11:42 GMT

1. IBM Object Rexx development?

2. IBM Moves Rexx Development to Germany

3. Object Rexx upgrade to v2.1.2

4. Announce: Update to Object REXX V2.1.1 available

5. Win95 vs. Object Rexx for Windows V2.1

6. upgrade Object Rexx to v2.1

7. Regina vs IBM Object Rexx

8. New Object Rexx from IBM?

9. IBM Object REXX for Windows Evaluation copy available

10. Rexx control of IBM Works objects.

11. IBM Object Rexx and FTP

12. IBM Object rexx for Windows 98 - problem installing