Start a VXRexx program from a VXRexx Program
Author Message
 Start a VXRexx program from a VXRexx Program

 I have developed several small VXRexx project which run well as
 standalone programs.  I'd like to be able to launch these programs
 from a VXRexx dialog using pushbuttons or a menu.  I made .exe
 versions of the projects and tried to use the StartThread method,
 but I get an error telling me that these programs must be run from
 Presentation Manager.  Does anyone know how to launch a VXRexx .exe
 from within a VXRexx program.
 Thanks,
 Tom

Sun, 28 Sep 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Start a VXRexx program from a VXRexx Program

Quote:

> I have developed several small VXRexx project which run well as
> standalone programs.  I'd like to be able to launch these programs
> from a VXRexx dialog using pushbuttons or a menu.  I made .exe
> versions of the projects and tried to use the StartThread method,
> but I get an error telling me that these programs must be run from
> Presentation Manager.  Does anyone know how to launch a VXRexx .exe
> from within a VXRexx program.

You can't use StartThread to start executables, because executables
start new processes.  All you do is use the OS/2 "start" command, as
in:

   address cmd "start foo.exe"

Type "help start" in an OS/2 window for more info.

Eric

Sun, 28 Sep 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 Start a VXRexx program from a VXRexx Program

Quote:

> I have developed several small VXRexx project which run well as
> standalone programs.  I'd like to be able to launch these programs
> from a VXRexx dialog using pushbuttons or a menu.  I made .exe
> versions of the projects and tried to use the StartThread method,
> but I get an error telling me that these programs must be run from
> Presentation Manager.  Does anyone know how to launch a VXRexx .exe
> from within a VXRexx program.

You can run any external program just like this

/* REXX code */
'foo.exe'

 Paul Prescod

Mon, 29 Sep 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. VXREXX start OS/2 programs without opening a window

2. QUIT! VXREXX program during a process

3. VXREXX paint program

4. HELP running external programs from VXRexx

5. Another VXREXX programming question....

6. Start of a windows-program out of a COBOL-program / file-encoding

7. VXREXX best PM REXX? Can use REXXLIB w/VXREXX?

8. VXRexx & SendKeyString

9. VXREXX truncates messages in MSGBOX

10. VXREXX PM only?

11. VXREXX PM only?