Utility to compact REXX source file???
Author Message
 Utility to compact REXX source file???

Hello,

At work, I installed an IBM product that uses REXX and noticed that
each source member was compacted to make the programs run faster and
make it difficult for anyone to modify it.  The compacting just
removed all redundant spaces and comments and sqeezed the source into
80 byte records.

Does anyone know where I can get such a utility?  Apparently, IBM uses
this program internally and is not available to customers.

Thanks.

Thu, 05 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Utility to compact REXX source file???

Sound great. I may be interested in this also.
--
Hasmukh Daji

Quote:
> Hello,

> At work, I installed an IBM product that uses REXX and noticed that
> each source member was compacted to make the programs run faster and
> make it difficult for anyone to modify it.  The compacting just
> removed all redundant spaces and comments and sqeezed the source into
> 80 byte records.

> Does anyone know where I can get such a utility?  Apparently, IBM uses
> this program internally and is not available to customers.

> Thanks.

Thu, 05 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Utility to compact REXX source file???

Quote:

> Hello,

> At work, I installed an IBM product that uses REXX and noticed that
> each source member was compacted to make the programs run faster and
> make it difficult for anyone to modify it.  The compacting just
> removed all redundant spaces and comments and sqeezed the source into
> 80 byte records.

> Does anyone know where I can get such a utility?  Apparently, IBM uses
> this program internally and is not available to customers.

> Thanks.

Do I misunderstand or are you referring to REXXC which comes with Warp
4.0. REXXC "compiles" or tokenizes your CMD file.

I hope this helps,
Will Trosky

Fri, 06 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Utility to compact REXX source file???

Quote:

> Sound great. I may be interested in this also.
> --
> Hasmukh Daji

> > Hello,

> > At work, I installed an IBM product that uses REXX and noticed that
> > each source member was compacted to make the programs run faster and
> > make it difficult for anyone to modify it.  The compacting just
> > removed all redundant spaces and comments and sqeezed the source into
> > 80 byte records.

> > Does anyone know where I can get such a utility?  Apparently, IBM uses
> > this program internally and is not available to customers.

> > Thanks.

i would be interested
if anyone knows   please reply in newsgroup    :)
elaine

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Utility to compact REXX source file???

Quote:

>> Sound great. I may be interested in this also.
>> --
>> Hasmukh Daji

>> > Hello,

>> > At work, I installed an IBM product that uses REXX and noticed that
>> > each source member was compacted to make the programs run faster and
>> > make it difficult for anyone to modify it.  The compacting just
>> > removed all redundant spaces and comments and sqeezed the source into
>> > 80 byte records.

>> > Does anyone know where I can get such a utility?  Apparently, IBM uses
>> > this program internally and is not available to customers.

>> > Thanks.

>i would be interested
>if anyone knows   please reply in newsgroup    :)
>elaine

Well, I am a nice guy, so I post the code...
However ... if all you guys hide your source,
where do I steal the good ideas from?!?!?!?!  :)

Thomas Nagy

------------------------------ clip ---------------------------------
/* OLD = NAME OF THE .CMD FILE TO BE TOKENIZED,  NO EXTENSION */
/*       THIS REXX PROGRAM MUST LOOK FOR THE PARAMETER '[]',  */
/*       AND EXIT IMMEDIATELY IF FOUND. USED FOR COMPILATION. */
/* NEW = NAME OF THE TOKENIZED OUTPUT .CMD FILE, NO EXTENSION */
/* HDR = NAME OF THE HEADER FILE TO USE WITH OUTPUT .CMD FILE */
/*                                                            */
/* E.G.: RXT LGFEINST INSTALL LGFEINST.HDR                    */
/*                                                            */
/*       LGFEINST.CMD STARTS WITH                             */
/*                                                            */
/*       ARG COMPILEONLY                                      */
/*       IF COMPILEONLY == '[]' THEN EXIT                     */
/*       /* THE REST OF THE PROGRASM FOLLOWS */               */
/*                                                            */

INTERPRET 'CALL' OLD '"[]"' /* TOKENIZE THE ORIGINAL .CMD FILE */

DATETIME = STREAM(OLD'.CMD','C','QUERY DATETIME')

'EAUTIL' OLD'.CMD' OLD'.EA /S /R /P'

'ATTRIB -R -S -H' NEW'.CMD 1>NUL 2>NUL'

'COPY /B' HDR NEW'.CMD 1>NUL 2>NUL'

'EAUTIL' NEW'.CMD' OLD'.EA /J /O'

'CHDATE' NEW'.CMD WDATE' DATETIME

'ATTRIB +R' NEW'.CMD 1>NUL 2>NUL'
---------------------------------- clip --------------------------------

Tue, 10 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Utility to compact REXX source file???

Quote:
> At work, I installed an IBM product that uses REXX and noticed that
> each source member was compacted to make the programs run faster and
> make it difficult for anyone to modify it.  The compacting just
> removed all redundant spaces and comments and sqeezed the source into
> 80 byte records.

Object REXX (OS/2) comes with a utility program named REXXC which does
this.  There are also some shareware programs for OS/2 which do it
too.

Wed, 11 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Utility to compact REXX source file???

Quote:
>> At work, I installed an IBM product that uses REXX and noticed that
>> each source member was compacted to make the programs run faster and
>> make it difficult for anyone to modify it.  The compacting just
>> removed all redundant spaces and comments and sqeezed the source into
>> 80 byte records.

>Object REXX (OS/2) comes with a utility program named REXXC which does
>this.  There are also some shareware programs for OS/2 which do it
>too.

If you're talking about REXXCC then it's not a godd idea when using it under
different versions of OS/2 or REXX.
I've written an utility that removes (almost) all redundant spaces and
comments and additionally replaces all CR/LF-pairs by a semicolon.
It does not create the token image cause of the reasons mentioned above.
So the source is not really hidden but the size of the program is
decreased.
Anyone interested should send my an email as this utility is free
(but in beta currently).

Alexander Mai

Wed, 11 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Utility to compact REXX source file???

Quote:

> > Hello,

> > At work, I installed an IBM product that uses REXX and noticed that
> > each source member was compacted to make the programs run faster and
> > make it difficult for anyone to modify it.  The compacting just
> > removed all redundant spaces and comments and sqeezed the source into
> > 80 byte records.

> > Does anyone know where I can get such a utility?  Apparently, IBM uses
> > this program internally and is not available to customers.

> > Thanks.

> Do I misunderstand or are you referring to REXXC which comes with Warp
> 4.0. REXXC "compiles" or tokenizes your CMD file.

> I hope this helps,
> Will Trosky

If you are using VM at work then the utility would be EXECUPDT.  Its
main purpose is to control the changes applied to REXX execs.  It
basically just removes the comments.  The Rexx exec itself is 72
characters with a 8 digit sequence number.

There are other flavors of this utility elsewhere.  Where are you going
to use it?  If on VM I can get you a copy of it; it is called REXXCOMP
(Rexx Compress).  I believe a copy of it may be located at:
HTTP://ukcc.uky.edu/~tools  (the 1996 VM Workshop Tools site).

Hope that this is useful...  /eric

Wed, 11 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. 16-bit REXX development utilities and source code

2. 16-bit REXX development utilities and source code

3. 16-bit REXX development utilities and source code

4. 16-bit REXX development utilities and source code

5. 16-bit REXX development utilities and source code

6. 16-bit REXX development utilities and source code

7. 16-bit REXX development utilities and source code

8. 16-bit REXX development utilities and source code

9. 16-bit REXX development utilities and source code

10. Source file compare utility?

11. REXX old (date based) file delete utility?!?

12. Compact 3D Solid Modeler Source Code