Classic Rexx to NetRexx
Author Message
 Classic Rexx to NetRexx

Our group currently has quite a few very useful tools written in Classic
Rexx that we use for Lan Admin and Support.  I have kind of taken over here,
starting to write up new tools, do some updates on the old ones, things like
that.

The issue now is that our second level tech support group has two OS/2
machines (and all they support is OS/2, go figure), the machines that the
techs are using are all Win NT.  Now while I hear that they are able to run
some Rexx commands, they cannot use any of the tools we have.

I was thinking of transferring as many of our tools that I could into one
stand alone Java Applet via NetRexx, and was curious if anyone had any
inpput on doing this.  How hard it may or may not be.  And if I should even
bother.

--
Justin Greywolf
Xcentric(dot)net - bringing communication to the new millenium

Tue, 26 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Classic Rexx to NetRexx

Quote:

>Our group currently has quite a few very useful tools written in Classic
>Rexx that we use for Lan Admin and Support.  I have kind of taken over here,
>starting to write up new tools, do some updates on the old ones, things like
>that.

>The issue now is that our second level tech support group has two OS/2
>machines (and all they support is OS/2, go figure), the machines that the
>techs are using are all Win NT.  Now while I hear that they are able to run
>some Rexx commands, they cannot use any of the tools we have.

>I was thinking of transferring as many of our tools that I could into one
>stand alone Java Applet via NetRexx, and was curious if anyone had any
>inpput on doing this.  How hard it may or may not be.  And if I should even
>bother.

Actually, it's an excellent idea. However, it's not as simple as taking your
existing rexx scripts then magically run them as netrexx scripts...

I've been there... done that... bought the T-Shirt... :')

What I would humbly suggest is; visit the NetRexx website at
http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/netrexx and grab a copy of netrexx, then visit
some of the links posted there. I'd suggest, without reservation, that you
grab copies of XCLASSES and RXIO (RXFile) and then maybe a couple of books...

THE NETREXX LANGUAGE by M.F.Cowlishaw (ISBN 0-13-806332-X) and CREATING JAVA
APPLICATIONS USING NETREXX from IBM RedBooks at http://www.redbooks.ibm.com
(SG24-2216-00) are both EXCELLENT sources for beginners, novices and
professionals alike. And probably the only two available... ;'(

Through all of this you have to keep in mind... You are no longer writing to
a propietary OS... you're writing to the JVM...

It's kinda' cool seeing your creations running on OS/2, linux , etc... :')

*            Sometimes, the BEST things in life really ARE free...            *
*       Get a FREE copy of NetRexx 1.150 for your next java project at:       *
*                     http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/netrexx                     *

/----------------------------------------\
| From the desktop of: Jerome D. McBride |

\----------------------------------------/

--

Tue, 26 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Rexx2Nrx (the classic Rexx to NetRexx converter) release notes / issues

2. Rexx in NetRexx ? (was Re: NetRexx

3. REXX, Object REXX, NetREXX (, java?)

4. Learning Rexx or Object rexx (netrexx)

5. Classic Rexx vs. Object Rexx

6. Classic REXX, Object REXX

7. Rexx Macro Space on Classic OS/2 Rexx

8. Object REXX vs. Classic REXX

9. Classic REXX versus Object REXX - Is the language losing

10. NetRexx course (was: Starting on NetRexx)

11. prominent Rexx/NetRexx links

12. NetRexx 2 -- interpreted Rexx for Java