Can Rexx issue ftp commands in OS/2?
Author Message
 Can Rexx issue ftp commands in OS/2?

Hi Net,
I am using OS/2 2.11 and IBMs TCPIP pkg 2.0.  I am trying to ftp
a file directly from my desktop (OS/2) to an MVS system.  On MVS,
it is possible to ftp directly to the internal reader (ie the batch
queue); this opens up some interesting possibilities.  I was going to
work with this on one of our Unix boxes, but figured it would be easy
to put together the Rexx file, so would start with OS/2.  ..BUT...
ftp commands which work fine outside a .cmd file seem not to be
recognized within one....the "ftp" command itself is executed, but
no others, in fact, the parameters on the command line aren't even
used.  I have written similiar pgms on CMS with no problem, but perhaps
Rexx is not as well integrated into OS/2 as it is in CMS ... anyone with
similiar experiences?  I have heard that there is a package called RXFTP
that will fix this.  I have subsequently heard this is broken and will
not fix this.  (anyone know?)  If this is not the right group, I apologize,
and would appreciate any pointers to a more appropriate forum.  Thanks
in advance,
-- Joe Kelley

Sat, 22 Mar 1997 19:47:35 GMT
 Can Rexx issue ftp commands in OS/2?

Quote:

> I have heard that there is a package called RXFTP
> that will fix this.  I have subsequently heard this is broken and will
> not fix this.  (anyone know?)

The latest CSD for OS/2 TCP/IP includes the RXFTP.DLL, which allows you to
easily use FTP calls from a REXX program.  Rumors that it doesn't work are
due to the fact that it was shipped with incorrect documentation;  you must
register the DLL entry point as follows:
   rc = RxFuncAdd("FtpLoadFuncs", "rxFtp", "FtpLoadFuncs")
                                            ============
using the exact case for the 3rd parameter as shown here.

Tom Bridgman - Systems Engineering Services (OS/2)

Bitnet: MRTOM at YKTVMV    IBMMAIL:  USIB53B6

Sun, 23 Mar 1997 00:44:28 GMT
 Can Rexx issue ftp commands in OS/2?

Quote:
>I am using OS/2 2.11 and IBMs TCPIP pkg 2.0.  I am trying to ftp
>a file directly from my desktop (OS/2) to an MVS system.  On MVS,
>it is possible to ftp directly to the internal reader (ie the batch
>queue); this opens up some interesting possibilities.  I was going to
>work with this on one of our Unix boxes, but figured it would be easy
>to put together the Rexx file, so would start with OS/2.  ..BUT...
>ftp commands which work fine outside a .cmd file seem not to be
>recognized within one....the "ftp" command itself is executed, but
>no others, in fact, the parameters on the command line aren't even
>used.  I have written similiar pgms on CMS with no problem, but perhaps
>Rexx is not as well integrated into OS/2 as it is in CMS ... anyone with
>similiar experiences?  I have heard that there is a package called RXFTP
>that will fix this.  I have subsequently heard this is broken and will
>not fix this.  (anyone know?)  If this is not the right group, I apologize,
>and would appreciate any pointers to a more appropriate forum.

Could you show us the .cmd file?

--
:-)   Ron van Wier

      the     Netherlands        Voice:  +31-20-6159078

Sun, 23 Mar 1997 05:45:48 GMT

1. OS/2 system command in Rexx command files.

2. command output to a queue in OS/2 (was: Automated FTP session)

3. FTP in OS/390 MVS REXX

4. Q: Issuing LAN Server command in REXX

5. Getting started with OS/2 REXX FTP API

6. vx-rexx,ftp,os/2 editor

7. Ftp and os/2 3.0 vx-rexx 2.0

8. FTP and OS/2 REXX WARP 3.0

9. REXX FTP and the OS/2 Fixpack 12