TSO Rexx & load module CSECT info
Author Message
 TSO Rexx & load module CSECT info

Right, for those of you still reading ....

I need to scan loads of load libs for load modules which have been
link edited with a dodgy CSECT. So far I've canabalised an old job,
and have a nice little batch job which will take an input dataset and
list all of the members in it, but I'm {*filter*}ed if I can find a call
which will return the CSECTS within the module, and their length.
(Only by the length of the DSECT can I detect whether or not the load
module has the right version!)

Any MVS wallahs out there who can help. Basically, I want the same
info as the File Aid 3.1 screen can give, without spending about a
month searching through truckloads of loadlibs.

I would have posted this to the TSOREXX list, but it looked dead. If
anybody can suggest more appropriate groups to send to please send me
the details, not death threats!

TIA,
  Chris.

Everything above is, of course, completely IMO. Except the bits other people wrote.

Mon, 21 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO Rexx & load module CSECT info

The AMBLIST Service Aid will list CSECTs with offsets and lengths.

Quote:

--
---

Beyond Software, Inc.       http://www.*-*-*.com/
"The Mainframe/Internet Company"

Mon, 21 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO Rexx & load module CSECT info

I have a free utility at work that scans a pds for all members
containing a csect name specified in the parm field. The sysout
from that could be used as input to a program which creates
MAP PROGRAMNAME SHORT commands to the PDS command
provided free on the CBT tape or the NASPA CD-ROM. If I remember
correctly the PDS command in file 84 and the csect scan was from
one of Jim Marshall's files. Send me e-mail if this sounds like the
way you would like to try.

Quote:

>> Right, for those of you still reading ....

>> I need to scan loads of load libs for load modules which have been
>> link edited with a dodgy CSECT. So far I've canabalised an old job,
>> and have a nice little batch job which will take an input dataset and
>> list all of the members in it, but I'm {*filter*}ed if I can find a call
>> which will return the CSECTS within the module, and their length.
>> (Only by the length of the DSECT can I detect whether or not the load
>> module has the right version!)

>> Any MVS wallahs out there who can help. Basically, I want the same
>> info as the File Aid 3.1 screen can give, without spending about a
>> month searching through truckloads of loadlibs.

>> I would have posted this to the TSOREXX list, but it looked dead. If
>> anybody can suggest more appropriate groups to send to please send me
>> the details, not death threats!

>> TIA,
>>   Chris.

>> Everything above is, of course, completely IMO. Except the bits other people wrote.

>--
>---

>Beyond Software, Inc.       http://www.*-*-*.com/
>"The Mainframe/Internet Company"

Tue, 22 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO Rexx & load module CSECT info

Quote:

> The AMBLIST Service Aid will list CSECTs with offsets and lengths.

> > Right, for those of you still reading ....

> > I need to scan loads of load libs for load modules which have been
> > link edited with a dodgy CSECT. So far I've canabalised an old job,
> > and have a nice little batch job which will take an input dataset and
> > list all of the members in it, but I'm {*filter*}ed if I can find a call
> > which will return the CSECTS within the module, and their length.
> > (Only by the length of the DSECT can I detect whether or not the load
> > module has the right version!)

> > Any MVS wallahs out there who can help. Basically, I want the same
> > info as the File Aid 3.1 screen can give, without spending about a
> > month searching through truckloads of loadlibs.

> > I would have posted this to the TSOREXX list, but it looked dead. If
> > anybody can suggest more appropriate groups to send to please send me
> > the details, not death threats!

> > TIA,
> >   Chris.

> > Everything above is, of course, completely IMO. Except the bits other people wrote.

> --
> ---

> Beyond Software, Inc.       http://www.*-*-*.com/
> "The Mainframe/Internet Company"

so will PDSTOOLS which is now a vender product, but older versions
can be found on the CBT or Share tapes...

/s/ Bill Turner, wb4alm

Tue, 22 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO Rexx & load module CSECT info

Rexx & load module CS" as follows:

c> I need to scan loads of load libs for load modules which have been
c> link edited with a dodgy CSECT. So far I've canabalised an old job,
c> and have a nice little batch job which will take an input dataset
c> and list all of the members in it, but I'm {*filter*}ed if I can find a
c> call which will return the CSECTS within the module, and their
c> length. (Only by the length of the DSECT can I detect whether or not
c> the load module has the right version!)

You need to execute the AMBLIST utility (should be in your linklist,
documented in the MVS Service Aids manual) iteratively, using your
VTOC/catalog listing of load libraries and directory  of each library.
You should then be able to scrape the XREF listings produced by AMBLIST
to find the CSECT you are after.

If the level of assembler or compiler used to create the CSECT
supports translator IDR's, you should be able to get the
compilation/assembly date too. This would be more reliable than simply
the CSECT length for identifying the defective copies.

Regards

Dave
<Team PL/I>

 * KWQ/2 1.2i * And on the 8th day God said, "OK Murphy, you take over."

Tue, 22 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO Rexx & load module CSECT info

I found a program that scans a loadlib for a given csect named in the
parm field. It prints the load module name, csect name, lengths, and
a few other goodies. I tried to e-mail the source to you, but it got
sent back. I would make an instream proc with the loadlib as a
symbolic variable and it would do exactly what you need.
If you tell me how, I will provide you with a copy (public domain).

Quote:
>Right, for those of you still reading ....

>I need to scan loads of load libs for load modules which have been
>link edited with a dodgy CSECT. So far I've canabalised an old job,
>and have a nice little batch job which will take an input dataset and
>list all of the members in it, but I'm {*filter*}ed if I can find a call
>which will return the CSECTS within the module, and their length.
>(Only by the length of the DSECT can I detect whether or not the load
>module has the right version!)

>Any MVS wallahs out there who can help. Basically, I want the same
>info as the File Aid 3.1 screen can give, without spending about a
>month searching through truckloads of loadlibs.

>I would have posted this to the TSOREXX list, but it looked dead. If
>anybody can suggest more appropriate groups to send to please send me
>the details, not death threats!

>TIA,
>  Chris.

>Everything above is, of course, completely IMO. Except the bits other people wrote.

Tue, 29 Jun 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO Rexx & load module CSECT info

Quote:

> >I need to scan loads of load libs for load modules which have been
> >link edited with a dodgy CSECT. So far I've canabalised an old job,
> >and have a nice little batch job which will take an input dataset and
> >list all of the members in it, but I'm {*filter*}ed if I can find a call
> >which will return the CSECTS within the module, and their length.
> >(Only by the length of the DSECT can I detect whether or not the load
> >module has the right version!)

> >Any MVS wallahs out there who can help. Basically, I want the same
> >info as the File Aid 3.1 screen can give, without spending about a
> >month searching through truckloads of loadlibs.

> >I would have posted this to the TSOREXX list, but it looked dead. If
> >anybody can suggest more appropriate groups to send to please send me
> >the details, not death threats!

> >TIA,
> >  Chris.

> >Everything above is, of course, completely IMO. Except the bits other people wrote.

trying to answer questions from home, away from work mainframe & reference manuals ..
a) ..might have started with calls of AMBLIST (?) or IMASPZAP for CSECT names and lengths; also
   just possibly some form of 'dummy' link-edit or binder execution could produce a report
   on the csects in an lmod   - if any of these worked, use either rexx or something like
   FileAid or SuperCE to extract relevant details from the reports.  In this case I quite like
   the idea of zap dump output 'cos you could detect the bad csect by content, not just length.
b) have you tried phoning ibm's Enterprise Assist?
c) what a relief to find a posting from the 'real world' instead of all the pc rexx stuff!
d) haven't seen the 'tsorexx' list - where is it?

--
Jeremy C B Nicoll, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK --------------------------------
------ Acorn Risc PC - a fast high-quality Wintel-free British Design -----

Mon, 12 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO Rexx & load module CSECT info

You simply need to EXECIO the first few Csect IDR records of each pds
member.

Thu, 15 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. adding my load module as a tso command

2. Load a TSO REXX exec

3. TSO REXX Info

4. REXX-TSO PDS member info

5. REXX-TSO PDS member info (solution)

6. TSO REXX & C370 subroutines

7. TSO REXX & C370 subroutines

8. TSO (MVS) REXX -> AIX (UNIX) REXX

9. MVS REXX to extract timestamp from load module?

10. Module information in load-module

11. Debugging a Rexx External Function under TSO

12. Compound varables appear to have a difference between TSO and regina / reginald / Personal Rexx