Get an error writing to COM1 in Rexx on PC DOS 2000 with default interpreter 
Author Message
 Get an error writing to COM1 in Rexx on PC DOS 2000 with default interpreter

I got an application that communicates with a hardware device connected to
the serial port. I had been using the application without problem for about
two months, then had to move the PC on which it was running and the
application has not been used for about a month. I tried to use the
application today and I get an "Error writing to COM1 Abort Retry Fail"
Message. I can take the application off the PC DOS 2000 computer and put it
on my Windows 98 PC and it will run with no problem. I also have another
machine that I installed PC DOS 2000 on and the program will not run on it
either. I have included a code snippet below.

Thanks, David

/* this is what is giving the error */
    InitPort = "mode com1 96,n,8,1"; InitPort
    do xxx = 1 to 5
        do sensor = 1 to 2
            MsgOut = x2c(55)||d2c(sensor)||d2c(power)||d2c(wait)
-->            rv = charout(com1, MsgOut)  <--
/* I never get beyond this point */
            /* Get the reading from the sensor */
            MsgIn = charin(com1,,4)



Mon, 21 Apr 2003 05:17:57 GMT  
 Get an error writing to COM1 in Rexx on PC DOS 2000 with default interpreter
so tell me, is that a winmodem? winmodems only work in windows... you will need
a *real* moden to work in dos...
Quote:

> <snip> "Error writing to COM1 Abort Retry Fail"<snip>



Mon, 21 Apr 2003 11:34:09 GMT  
 Get an error writing to COM1 in Rexx on PC DOS 2000 with default interpreter
No, it is acutely a RS232 to RS485 converter. the same converter that was
being used before.


message

Quote:
> so tell me, is that a winmodem? winmodems only work in windows... you will
need
> a *real* moden to work in dos...


> > <snip> "Error writing to COM1 Abort Retry Fail"<snip>



Tue, 22 Apr 2003 01:59:29 GMT  
 Get an error writing to COM1 in Rexx on PC DOS 2000 with default interpreter
then it sounds like there is a windows driver for it that you have not put on
dos...
Quote:

> No, it is acutely a RS232 to RS485 converter. <snip>



Tue, 22 Apr 2003 02:17:18 GMT  
 Get an error writing to COM1 in Rexx on PC DOS 2000 with default interpreter

Quote:

>I got an application that communicates with a hardware device connected to
>the serial port. I had been using the application without problem for about
>two months, then had to move the PC on which it was running and the
>application has not been used for about a month. I tried to use the
>application today and I get an "Error writing to COM1 Abort Retry Fail"
>Message. I can take the application off the PC DOS 2000 computer and put it
>on my Windows 98 PC and it will run with no problem. I also have another
>machine that I installed PC DOS 2000 on and the program will not run on it
>either. I have included a code snippet below.

>Thanks, David

>/* this is what is giving the error */
>    InitPort = "mode com1 96,n,8,1"; InitPort
>    do xxx = 1 to 5
>        do sensor = 1 to 2
>            MsgOut = x2c(55)||d2c(sensor)||d2c(power)||d2c(wait)
>-->            rv = charout(com1, MsgOut)  <--
>/* I never get beyond this point */
>            /* Get the reading from the sensor */
>            MsgIn = charin(com1,,4)

Try using the stream() command to explicitly open the port, and note any
error response it gives.

--
 - Mike

Remove 'spambegone.net' and reverse to send e-mail.



Tue, 22 Apr 2003 06:25:08 GMT  
 Get an error writing to COM1 in Rexx on PC DOS 2000 with default interpreter

Quote:

> Try using the stream() command to explicitly open the port, and note any
> error response it gives.

> --
>  - Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion, would you mind taking the time to tell me how
to use stream to open the port. I know how to open a file with stream, do
I open the port the same way?

Thanks,
    David



Tue, 22 Apr 2003 23:49:51 GMT  
 Get an error writing to COM1 in Rexx on PC DOS 2000 with default interpreter

Quote:

>> Try using the stream() command to explicitly open the port, and note any
>> error response it gives.
>Thanks for the suggestion, would you mind taking the time to tell me how
>to use stream to open the port. I know how to open a file with stream, do
>I open the port the same way?

Yes, like stream('COM1','c','open read').

If the return value isn't 'READY', then issue a stream('COM1','d'), which
returns the error description.  It may or may not be useful information.

--
 - Mike

Remove 'spambegone.net' and reverse to send e-mail.



Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:00:08 GMT  
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Error DBFCDX/1011 Write Error DOS ERROR 6

2. REXX for DOS (without PC-DOS 7)?

3. DOS Rexx and Windows 2000

4. DOS error 4 (only in 2000, not in 1999)

5. dos error 3 printing to local printer in windows 2000 - clipper 5.2

6. dos error 4 (windows 2000)

7. Errors Running Clarion-DOS on Windows-2000

8. Dos error 5 : write error to LPT1

9. Write Error (DOS Error 5)

10. New MS-DOS interpreter available on rexx.uwaterloo.ca

11. Need Information about REXX Interpreter/Compiler for MS-DOS

12. any DOS rexx interpreters?

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software