Enable rexx from boot disk
Author Message
 Enable rexx from boot disk

To make a long story short, I am trying to enable rexx on a dos pc with only fat
partitions.  I would like to know if there is a way to for example:

Make a c:\os2 directory.

Copy over the neccessary dll, msg, etc... files to that directory.

Edit the config.sys on the os/2 boot floppy to point to that directory, in the libpath,
dpath, path statements.

Boot off of the floppy, be able to use rexx.

Now here is the question, what files are neccessary for this to work? I know it works on a
cid install loading the rexx code in a clients memory over a network drive...

Thu, 29 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Enable rexx from boot disk

Quote:

>I am trying to enable rexx on a dos pc with only fat partitions.

Upgrade to PC DOS version 7, which comes with Rexx.
--
Bob Shair                          Open Systems Consultant

Champaign, IL 61821                217/356-2684
<      Not representing the University of Illinois      >

Thu, 29 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Enable rexx from boot disk

Quote:
>To make a long story short, I am trying to enable rexx on a dos pc with only fat
>partitions.  I would like to know if there is a way to for example:

>Make a c:\os2 directory.

>Copy over the neccessary dll, msg, etc... files to that directory.

>Edit the config.sys on the os/2 boot floppy to point to that directory, in the libpath,
>dpath, path statements.

>Boot off of the floppy, be able to use rexx.

>Now here is the question, what files are neccessary for this to work? I know it works on a
>cid install loading the rexx code in a clients memory over a network drive...

>Any help would be greatly appreciated...

PC-DOS from IBM, ver 7.0 supports REXX.

Your approach can't work since REXX for OS/2 uses OS/2 calls.

Warren
http://www.borg.com/~warren

Thu, 29 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Enable rexx from boot disk

Quote:

>>To make a long story short, I am trying to enable rexx on a dos pc with only fat
>>partitions.  I would like to know if there is a way to for example:

>>Make a c:\os2 directory.

>>Copy over the neccessary dll, msg, etc... files to that directory.

>>Edit the config.sys on the os/2 boot floppy to point to that directory, in the libpath,
>>dpath, path statements.

>>Boot off of the floppy, be able to use rexx.

>>Now here is the question, what files are neccessary for this to work? I know it works on a
>>cid install loading the rexx code in a clients memory over a network drive...

>>Any help would be greatly appreciated...
>PC-DOS from IBM, ver 7.0 supports REXX.
>Your approach can't work since REXX for OS/2 uses OS/2 calls.

If you would have read carefully, you see that he *IS BOOTING* OS2!

However, Mike, there is a utility written by en employee called
"bootos2.zip" which enables you to tailor make
boot disks for your system. Its all explained in the readme file
and i have used it and its *GOOD*.

It allows you to specify from very simple 1 disk boot disks to
multiple very fancy boot disks.......

You'll find it on luga.latrobe.edu.au in the os2/ibm/ews directory.

cheers
Jobst

--

|   _ _.--'-n_/   |       Department of Digital Systems      |   _ _.--'-n_/   |
| -(_)------(_)=  | Monash University, Melbourne, Australia  | -(_)------(_)=  |

Fri, 30 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Enable rexx from boot disk

In, on 05/13/96 at 03:28 AM,

Quote:
>>Your approach can't work since REXX for OS/2 uses OS/2 calls.
>If you would have read carefully, you see that he *IS BOOTING* OS2!

Don't worry, that was just Warren doing his usual : beeing snappish,
arrogant and missing the point once again.(But we sure love him the way he
is).

BOOTOS2 is indeed the tool to go for and I have used it
for 2 years with three releases of OS/2.

Fri, 30 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Enable rexx from boot disk

Quote:

> PC-DOS from IBM, ver 7.0 supports REXX.

Shall I reiterate?

Quote:

> >To make a long story short, I am trying to enable rexx on a dos pc with only fat
> >partitions.  I would like to know if there is a way to for example:

My entire point was to enable rexx, on a dos machine without rexx installed.  The
purpose is to run a rexx script to convert some data, at my client's site, when
they aren't running os/2 or pcdos 7, or planning on buying those os/s's to install
them!  This way, I can boot floppy, run rexx, delete os/2 stuff off of their drive,
and be on my happy way....

Quote:
> Your approach can't work since REXX for OS/2 uses OS/2 calls.

Again, I reiterate.

Quote:
> >Boot off of the floppy, be able to use rexx.

I did try what someone suggested, bootos2 which is IBM employee written software.
Bootos2 did exactly what I needed...  Made floppy disks to boot off of with
rexx enabled.  Pretty handy application, especially since it will install to a
maintenance partition as well....  It is nice to have rexx capability on a maintenance
partition.

Sat, 31 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Enable rexx from boot disk

Quote:

> However, Mike, there is a utility written by en employee called
> "bootos2.zip" which enables you to tailor make
> boot disks for your system. Its all explained in the readme file
> and i have used it and its *GOOD*.

Jobst, this is exactly what I did, and it does exactly what I wanted :)

Thanks....

Sun, 01 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Enable rexx from boot disk

Look at VMDISK in the docs. I use PC-DOS 7 REXX in a dos box any time I like, it works great.

Mon, 02 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Enable rexx from boot disk

Quote:
>Hi Bob,

> B>Upgrade to PC DOS version 7, which comes with Rexx.

>It may be offtopic here. How to make this version of DOS run in OS/2
>Dos Box?

Sorry, not off-topic, but you won't like the answer.  OS/2 supplies its version
of DOS as a subset.  You have the option of Dual Boot, however.  And you have
the option of selecting from several "boot" configurations in the run-time
options of your DOS settings.  So you have at least three choices.

At every path of a binary tree, we have three choices.  Life is devious.

Warren
http://www.borg.com/~warren

Wed, 04 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Enable rexx from boot disk

Hi Bob,

 B>Upgrade to PC DOS version 7, which comes with Rexx.

It may be offtopic here. How to make this version of DOS run in OS/2
Dos Box?
--
      Billy

Wed, 04 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Enable rexx from boot disk

Quote:
>My entire point was to enable rexx, on a dos machine without rexx installed.  The
>purpose is to run a rexx script to convert some data, at my client's site, when
>they aren't running os/2 or pcdos 7, or planning on buying those os/s's to install
>them!  This way, I can boot floppy, run rexx, delete os/2 stuff off of their drive,
>and be on my happy way....

OK, if I understand you correctly, the presence of DOS is irrelevant -
you want to either boot off floppy or install a minimal OS/2 system on
the FAT drive and then run REXX? So far, you've been able to install
OS/2 but can't get REXX to work?

The problem is that the REXX DLL's are registered and loaded from
within Presentation Manager, so 'officially' you've got to have PM
loaded. But as you've observed, CID installs manage to run REXX. They
do it by invoking a small program called SRVREXX.EXE with the
CONFIG.SYS line:

RUN=a:\srvrexx.exe

You'll find that program hidden away in a corner of the Warp Connect
CD-ROM, along with other CID stuff. You ought to take a look at the
CID Redbook - it explains a lot of this stuff which is useful in
situations apart from CID.

Best,

--- Les

| Les Bell                          Tel: +61 2 451 1144  |

| CIS: 71210,104                    Australia            |

Thu, 05 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Enable rexx from boot disk

Quote:

>The problem is that the REXX DLL's are registered and loaded from
>within Presentation Manager, so 'officially' you've got to have PM
>loaded. But as you've observed, CID installs manage to run REXX. They
>do it by invoking a small program called SRVREXX.EXE

This can also be accomplished with an executable called BOS2REXX.EXE.
It's available in a EWS freeware package called BOOTOS2. BOOTOS2 will
make a single boot floppy, or multiple boot floppies or a bootable
"maintenance" partition, with or without REXX support, DOS support,
or even PM support. Find BOOTOS2 hobbes or any other sight that
carries EWS.

Thu, 05 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Running Rexx from Boot Disks

2. REXX on OS/2 boot disk?

3. OS writing: detecting which disk was used as boot disk

4. Enabling Network Services Upon Boot of MacIvory

5. GRUB boot disk

6. OS/2 boot disks and REXXUTIL

7. boot floppy disk

8. Boot disk me