Object REXX vs. Classic REXX
Author Message
 Object REXX vs. Classic REXX

At this time is there any reason for a PC oriented programmer to stick
with classic REXX as opposed to Object REXX?  I currently work under
OS/2 and figure I will eventually work under Linux.

Doug Rickman

Fri, 23 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Object REXX vs. Classic REXX

Quote:

>At this time is there any reason for a PC oriented programmer to stick
>with classic REXX as opposed to Object REXX?  I currently work under
>OS/2 and figure I will eventually work under Linux.

>Doug Rickman

And then there is Net REXX which runs on the Java engine.

Ken Walter

Remove -zamboni to reply
All the above is hearsay and the opinion of no one in particular

Fri, 23 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Object REXX vs. Classic REXX
Only if (s)he has legacy code that doesn't run under OO-REXX. There are some
(minor) incompatibilities,

Quote:
> At this time is there any reason for a PC oriented programmer to stick
> with classic REXX as opposed to Object REXX?  I currently work under
> OS/2 and figure I will eventually work under Linux.

> Doug Rickman

Fri, 23 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Object REXX vs. Classic REXX
BootOS2 seems unable to create a partition which supports ORexx, I've
tried hacking in the files without success. And I've contacted the author
several times vor various questions including this request and have never
heard back.

If someone has ideas on how to make it work I would be interested!

As well, speed might be an issue. I have processes which basicall hold a
database in stem objects. They run like a pig on ORexx. Plus the overhead
in RAM - 80 bytes in RAM per item in a classic rexx stem, 155 bytes per
item in a ORexx stem.

Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems

Quote:

> At this time is there any reason for a PC oriented programmer to stick
> with classic REXX as opposed to Object REXX?  I currently work under
> OS/2 and figure I will eventually work under Linux.

> Doug Rickman

Fri, 23 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Object REXX vs. Classic REXX

Quote:
>At this time is there any reason for a PC oriented programmer to stick
>with classic REXX as opposed to Object REXX?  I currently work under
>OS/2 and figure I will eventually work under Linux.

No.

Aside from a few differences with stems and the stream() command, OREXX is
entirely compatible with CREXX.

And beyond that, it provides many useful new features, most important of
which are the collection classes.

Simply converting a CREXX program that manipulates a large amount of data
with stems to an OREXX program using one or more of the collection classes
will provide a large speed boost.

--
 - Mike

Remove 'spambegone.net' and reverse to send e-mail.

Sat, 24 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Object REXX vs. Classic REXX

Quote:

> At this time is there any reason for a PC oriented programmer to stick
> with classic REXX as opposed to Object REXX?

Classic Rexx code is somewhat more portable. E.g to WinCE and BeOS.
There are several interpreters for classix Rexx, and more free code
available.

But for your own use, on Linux and OS/2, Object Rexx seems a better
option. Or NetRexx, for a more modern, OO Rexx dialect, which fits
well into to the blooming Java world.

Regards, Johnnie

Sat, 24 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Classic Rexx vs. Object Rexx

2. Classic REXX, Object REXX

3. Classic REXX versus Object REXX - Is the language losing

4. VX-REXX vs. Object Rexx

5. Object Rexx vs Rexx

6. Rexx Macro Space on Classic OS/2 Rexx

7. ORexx vs. Classic REXX and operator overloading

8. Difference in OS/2 Classic/Object REXX Read Only

9. Timings for classic v Object Rexx

10. Vispro Rexx vs VX - Rexx

11. VisPro/Rexx vs VX-REXX

12. mainframe rexx vs. os/2 rexx