MVS-JES command output
Author Message
 MVS-JES command output

Hi,
is it possible in Rexx to send a command to JES or MVS
and to receive the output of that command?

Example:

(jes3) : *i n id=net1234,list
-->> as a result I would like to see this output (a list of jobs in
that net)
in a dataset....

(mvs) : ds p,xxx
the same here.

Any help or comments is welcome.

|Geert De Brakeleer                                |

| http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~gdbrakel                    |
|==================================================|
|"If everything seems to be going well,            |
|you have obviously overlooked something." (Murphy)|

Sun, 15 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 MVS-JES command output

Quote:
er) writes:

:>
:>Hi,
:>is it possible in Rexx to send a command to JES or MVS
:>and to receive the output of that command?
:>
:>Example:
:>
:>(jes3) : *i n id=net1234,list
:>-->> as a result I would like to see this output (a list of jobs in
:>that net)
:>in a dataset....
:>
:>(mvs) : ds p,xxx
:>the same here.
:>
:>Any help or comments is welcome.
:>

If you are talking about accessing this information
from TSO/E Rexx the answer is yes.  A quick disclaimer,
it has been a year since I have been in this environment
but it should still work.

Utilizing TSO/E Rexx you can activate a console session
which will let you perform MVS operator activities.
Note:  You must have console authority for this to work.
This is fully documented in TSO Extensions Procedures
Language MVS/REXX Reference.  The last one I have on file
is SC28-1883-2.

There are easier ways if you have an MVS automation package
installed.  For example at the last shop I worked in
had Ops/Mvs.  This allowed you to simply issue
MVS commands and use OutTrap to capture the output.

Peace,

Butch

Butch Carruth
Certified OS/2 Engineer
IBM BestTeam Premier Member

WWW  : http://www.txdirect.net/users/bcarruth

Innovative Productivity Solutions, Inc.
San Antonio, Tx

Mon, 16 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 MVS-JES command output

Quote:
>Hi,
>is it possible in Rexx to send a command to JES or MVS
>and to receive the output of that command?

>Example:

>(jes3) : *i n id=net1234,list
>-->> as a result I would like to see this output (a list of jobs in
>that net)
>in a dataset....

>(mvs) : ds p,xxx
>the same here.

>+--------------------------------------------------+
>|Geert De Brakeleer                                |

>|http://www.innet.net/~gdbrakel                    |

Geert,
There are ways to enter a JES or MVS command from TSO, or BATCH, and trap the
output, but it is VERY installation specific.  There is also an MVS interface
in Netview which IBM put there for Console automation.  I've written many REXX
exec's under Netview MVS in the past to do what you are looking for.  Again
the ability to enter MVS/JES commands from TSO/BATCH/Netview is going to depend
on what your system programmer installed and how.

Sorry I couldn't give you a more pointed answer, but in short it can be done.

Dave Rupp
Texas Instruments
Distributed Network Services
Dallas, Texas  USA
(214)575-4277
(214)575-5522 FAX
/ADMD=MCI/PRMD=TI/C=US/G=DAVID/I=M/S=RUPP

http://www.ti.com/

Mon, 16 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. UNIX to MVS JES via FTP

2. ftp_lib access to MVS/JES

3. reading JES held output queue

4. Problem with exec command: error reading output from command: interrupted

5. problem: display command output / kill command

6. REXX/MVS Execio DISKR for V or VB Datasets - Incorrect Output

7. ADATA output from IBM COBOL for MVS and VM compiler

8. MVS command

9. RECEIVE COMMAND IN MVS

10. RECEIVE Command in MVS

11. MVS REXX (console commands)

12. Change parameters using modify mvs command