Classic REXX versus Object REXX - Is the language losing
Author Message
 Classic REXX versus Object REXX - Is the language losing

Markus Pelt-Layman had written:

Quote:
> It took a half day for me to learn most of classic REXX. I've used
> Object REXX for over a year and I still don't profess to really have
> learned it. OOREXX is overly complicated and shows a definite
> preference for the computer scientist over the mass audience that
> classic REXX was intended for. It was not developed with a user-driven
> orientation in my mind and in my opinion only shows what how "me-too"
> attitude can do to a perfectly wonderful language.
> If OOREXX will be favored by more and more RE|XX vendors purely out of a
> desire to be "me-too" object oriented bleeding-edge technology, I'm
> afraid that the entire REXX language will quickly go the way of the
> dinosaur and APL.

It is quite disappointed to hear such a bad feedback of OREXX from
an experienced REXX developer.  But, there was something that
troubled me more.  Reading from the IBM's OREXX white paper:
(see http://www.*-*-*.com/ )

Quote:
> The plan to develop a visual programming environment for Object REXX
> based on IBM's well received VisualAge* technology has been dropped. Based on
> its upward compatibility from 'classic' REXX, Object REXX can be used together
> with visual building tools already available in the market place which are
> using REXX on OS/2 Warp, today.

This means that OREXX will probably never really attract Windows developers.
IBM may not care Windows platform that much, but in case OS/2 won't last
beyond 1998, then where should OREXX reside? MVS? AIX?  Giving the slow market
response from IBM, I am very concerned.

Putting what Markus Pelt-Layman wrote and my concerns together, I doubt that
OREXX will be able to play any significant role in 'intelligent agent computing'
in the foreseeable future.  Could someone with vision please take over OREXX
project?

Sat, 14 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Classic REXX versus Object REXX - Is the language losing

Quote:
>snip
>It is quite disappointed to hear such a bad feedback of OREXX from
>an experienced REXX developer.  But, there was something that
>troubled me more.  Reading from the IBM's OREXX white paper:
>(see http://www.*-*-*.com/ )
>> The plan to develop a visual programming environment for Object REXX
>> based on IBM's well received VisualAge* technology has been dropped. Based on
>> its upward compatibility from 'classic' REXX, Object REXX can be used together
>> with visual building tools already available in the market place which are
>> using REXX on OS/2 Warp, today.

>This means that OREXX will probably never really attract Windows developers.
>IBM may not care Windows platform that much, but in case OS/2 won't last
>beyond 1998, then where should OREXX reside? MVS? AIX?  Giving the slow market
>response from IBM, I am very concerned.

>Putting what Markus Pelt-Layman wrote and my concerns together, I doubt that
>OREXX will be able to play any significant role in 'intelligent agent computing'
>in the foreseeable future.  Could someone with vision please take over OREXX
>project?

Not a show stopper.  All that has to be done for example is a company like
Raleigh Systems Incorporated take its ObjectPM class library and create a
SOM class.  You could write a PM program in Rexx in just a couple of lines.
Also Object Rexx should be compatible with the current Rexx visual development
tools.  Here I am just speculating about the upcoming release of a Visual
Basic like product from IBM, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't support
OR calls, i.e. develop your visual interface with VB and let OR do the work.

---
Jim
{*filter*}Net Connections

Sun, 15 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Classic REXX versus Object REXX - Is the language losing

Quote:
>It is quite disappointed to hear such a bad feedback of OREXX from
>an experienced REXX developer.  But, there was something that
>troubled me more.  Reading from the IBM's OREXX white paper:
>(see http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/orexx/section5.htm)
>> The plan to develop a visual programming environment for Object REXX
>> based on IBM's well received VisualAge* technology has been dropped. Based on
>> its upward compatibility from 'classic' REXX, Object REXX can be used together
>> with visual building tools already available in the market place which are
>> using REXX on OS/2 Warp, today.

Why is this troubling to you.  It seems to me to be good news that OREXX will be
able to prosper and grow without always depending on IBM's bankroll.

Fri, 20 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Classic Rexx vs. Object Rexx

2. Classic REXX, Object REXX

3. Object REXX vs. Classic REXX

4. Rexx Macro Space on Classic OS/2 Rexx

5. Difference in OS/2 Classic/Object REXX Read Only

6. Timings for classic v Object Rexx

7. Porting from REXX on VM to Object REXX on AIX or W2000

8. for help about vispro rexx and Object REXX

9. Object REXX: incompatibility with T-REXX ?

10. OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT

11. OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT

12. REXX, Object REXX, NetREXX (, java?)