piping input and output with OS/2 REXX
Author Message
 piping input and output with OS/2 REXX

    I want to have an OS/2 ( this will ported to LINUX REXX as soon as it's
working half way decent.  ) rexx program issue a finger commad and read the
output from the finger program from the stack.  I don't want to write the
output to a file and then read it back, and I have to be able to run the
rexx program and let if figure out what options to use when it issues the
finger command. How can I run the finger command and pull ( or linein() )
the results from the stack? Thanks.

73's  de  Jack   -  kf5mg

+     I am Homer of Borg.... prepare to be assim... oooo... Donuts...     +

Sun, 26 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT
 piping input and output with OS/2 REXX

Quote:

>    I want to have an OS/2 ( this will ported to LINUX REXX as soon as it's
>working half way decent.  ) rexx program issue a finger commad and read the
>output from the finger program from the stack.  I don't want to write the
>output to a file and then read it back, and I have to be able to run the
>rexx program and let if figure out what options to use when it issues the
>finger command. How can I run the finger command and pull ( or linein() )
>the results from the stack? Thanks.

Assuming FINGER writes to stdout, you pipe its output to RXQUEUE.  RXQUEUE
inserts the lines into the REXX stack;  it defaults to FIFO but you can
specify /LIFO if desired.  Your program can then used queued() to see if
anything is queued, and parse pull to retrieve them:

   'FINGER xxxx | RXQUEUE'
   do queued()
      parse pull Line
      say Line
   end

Tom

Mon, 27 Oct 1997 03:00:00 GMT

1. LesTecIO Rexx Input/Output library for OS/2 and Windows

2. Input/Output Pipes question

3. TCL Scripts: piping input / output

4. Program output piping in OS/2

5. Piping output from /v os/2

6. Pipe output into Rexx (2nd Answer)

7. Pipe output into Rexx

8. Pipe output into Rexx

9. Pipe output into Rexx?

10. Free REXXIO Version 1.0 Input/Output Library for Windows and OS/2

11. Input/Output to OS/2 console

12. Named Pipes - Rexx (Os/2