VX-REXX Demo
Author Message
 VX-REXX Demo

I received permission from Watcom to upload a unzipped version of VX-REXX
demo to Hobbs.  This way you can run it without using their install program.

I will post a message back here when it's ready.   Might take a day or two.

Mon, 20 Dec 2004 03:07:18 GMT
 VX-REXX Demo
On Wed, 3 Jul 2002 19:07:18 UTC, "Kim Cheung"

Quote:

> I received permission from Watcom to upload a unzipped version of VX-REXX
> demo to Hobbs.  This way you can run it without using their install program.

> I will post a message back here when it's ready.   Might take a day or two.

Zipped would be fine.  In fact with my dialup connection I would
prefer it zipped.

The problem is that the demo already on Hobbes is compressed in a
format which apparently only the install program knows how to
decompress and that the install program does not work anymore (for
unknown reasons).

--

John Small

(remove the z's for email address)

Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:33:23 GMT
 VX-REXX Demo
On Wed, 3 Jul 2002 19:07:18 UTC, "Kim Cheung"

Quote:

> I received permission from Watcom to upload a unzipped version of VX-REXX
> demo to Hobbs.  This way you can run it without using their install program.

> I will post a message back here when it's ready.   Might take a day or two.

Any progress on this?  I can't seem to find it on Hobbes.

--

John Small

(remove the z's for email address)

Sun, 26 Dec 2004 19:47:25 GMT
 VX-REXX Demo

Quote:

>Any progress on this?  I can't seem to find it on Hobbes.

Sorry, hasn't get to that yet.

Mon, 27 Dec 2004 04:04:12 GMT
 VX-REXX Demo
I finally found the time to do this.  I have the package ready but Hobbs
indicated that I must upload using FTP but it doesn't say what the ftp remote
host is.   I tried:

remote host: ftp.hobbes.nmsu.edu (unknown host) or hobbes.nmsu.edu (login
failed)

user: anonymous

password: (blank)

What am I doing wrong?

Quote:

>I received permission from Watcom to upload a unzipped version of VX-REXX
>demo to Hobbs.  This way you can run it without using their install program.

>I will post a message back here when it's ready.   Might take a day or two.

Wed, 05 Jan 2005 01:32:44 GMT
 VX-REXX Demo

Quote:

> I finally found the time to do this.  I have the package ready but Hobbs
> indicated that I must upload using FTP but it doesn't say what the ftp remote
> host is.   I tried:

> remote host: ftp.hobbes.nmsu.edu (unknown host) or hobbes.nmsu.edu (login
> failed)

> user: anonymous

> password: (blank)

> What am I doing wrong?

>>I received permission from Watcom to upload a unzipped version of VX-REXX
>>demo to Hobbs.  This way you can run it without using their install program.

>>I will post a message back here when it's ready.   Might take a day or two.

it's just ftp://hobbes.nmsu.edu

Wed, 05 Jan 2005 02:17:32 GMT
 VX-REXX Demo

Quote:

>it's just ftp://hobbes.nmsu.edu

For *upload*?

Wed, 05 Jan 2005 04:38:36 GMT
 VX-REXX Demo

Quote:

> I finally found the time to do this.  I have the package ready but Hobbs
> indicated that I must upload using FTP but it doesn't say what the ftp remote
> host is.   I tried:

> remote host: ftp.hobbes.nmsu.edu (unknown host) or hobbes.nmsu.edu (login
> failed)

> user: anonymous

> password: (blank)

Quote:
> What am I doing wrong?

See above.

Quote:

> >I received permission from Watcom to upload a unzipped version of VX-REXX
> >demo to Hobbs.  This way you can run it without using their install program.

> >I will post a message back here when it's ready.   Might take a day or two.

--
Bye/2
Meinolf

Wed, 05 Jan 2005 07:01:50 GMT
 VX-REXX Demo
And you better have a template file filled out named
yourfile.txt with the appropriate info or the script will
dump your file in /dev/null
Quote:

> > I finally found the time to do this.  I have the package ready but Hobbs
> > indicated that I must upload using FTP but it doesn't say what the ftp remote
> > host is.   I tried:

> > remote host: ftp.hobbes.nmsu.edu (unknown host) or hobbes.nmsu.edu (login
> > failed)

> > user: anonymous

> > password: (blank)

> > What am I doing wrong?

> See above.

> > >I received permission from Watcom to upload a unzipped version of VX-REXX
> > >demo to Hobbs.  This way you can run it without using their install program.

> > >I will post a message back here when it's ready.   Might take a day or two.

> --
> Bye/2
> Meinolf

Wed, 05 Jan 2005 10:57:21 GMT
 VX-REXX Demo

Quote:

>>it's just ftp://hobbes.nmsu.edu

>For *upload*?

Yep. the only directory that's writable to anon is /incoming.

* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *
* http://consultron.ca                         irc.ecomstation.ca *

Wed, 05 Jan 2005 10:38:49 GMT
 VX-REXX Demo

Quote:

>> I finally found the time to do this.  I have the package ready but Hobbs
>> indicated that I must upload using FTP but it doesn't say what the ftp remote
>> host is.   I tried:

Okay, at long last, I uploaded the file to the incoming area.   I hope it
works.   The name of the file is:

vxrcsdemexpanded.zip

Sat, 08 Jan 2005 01:59:20 GMT
 VX-REXX Demo
On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 17:59:20 UTC, "Kim Cheung"

Quote:

> Okay, at long last, I uploaded the file to the incoming area.   I hope it
> works.   The name of the file is:

> vxrcsdemexpanded.zip

Thanks!  I've downloaded it and it seems to work.  However the zip
file contained directories (DBSAMPLE, MACROS, PROJECTS, SAMPLES,
SHARED, SYSTEM) which were empty.  Is this correct?  It would seem
that at least some of them should not be empty.

A couple of additional questions:
        1) Is there a way to stop the "Watcom VX-REXX Tutorial" from
appearing when starting VRXEDIT?
        2) I tried applying patches (B, C and D) to the demo.  They seem to
complete successfully except for patching VRXEDIT.EXE.  This failure
is due, I believe, to the fact that the demo VRXEDIT.EXE is different
from what the patch expects.  Is it safe to patch the other pieces of
VX-REXX without patching VRXEDIT?  Or should I just stay with the
distributed demo files?

--

John Small

(remove the z's for email address)

Sun, 09 Jan 2005 19:53:54 GMT
 VX-REXX Demo

Quote:

>On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 17:59:20 UTC, "Kim Cheung"

>> Okay, at long last, I uploaded the file to the incoming area.   I hope it
>> works.   The name of the file is:

>> vxrcsdemexpanded.zip

>Thanks!  I've downloaded it and it seems to work.  However the zip
>file contained directories (DBSAMPLE, MACROS, PROJECTS, SAMPLES,
>SHARED, SYSTEM) which were empty.  Is this correct?  It would seem
>that at least some of them should not be empty.

I am surprised that these directories are empty.   But may be that's how
Watcom intends it to be.   When I find the time, I will do a fresh install
from the demo package and take a look.

Quote:
>A couple of additional questions:
>    1) Is there a way to stop the "Watcom VX-REXX Tutorial" from
>appearing when starting VRXEDIT?

Not without hecking VRXEDIT.EXE.

Quote:
>    2) I tried applying patches (B, C and D) to the demo.  They seem to
>complete successfully except for patching VRXEDIT.EXE.  This failure
>is due, I believe, to the fact that the demo VRXEDIT.EXE is different
>from what the patch expects.  Is it safe to patch the other pieces of
>VX-REXX without patching VRXEDIT?  Or should I just stay with the
>distributed demo files?

While I haven't try it myself, I would think that they should be okay.

I am still hoping to convince Watcom to let me release more of VX-REXX.

Sun, 09 Jan 2005 23:41:06 GMT
 VX-REXX Demo
On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 15:41:06 UTC, "Kim Cheung"

Quote:

> >Thanks!  I've downloaded it and it seems to work.  However the zip
> >file contained directories (DBSAMPLE, MACROS, PROJECTS, SAMPLES,
> >SHARED, SYSTEM) which were empty.  Is this correct?  It would seem
> >that at least some of them should not be empty.

> I am surprised that these directories are empty.   But may be that's how
> Watcom intends it to be.   When I find the time, I will do a fresh install
> from the demo package and take a look.

When you zipped it up, did you use the recursion option (-r)?

Quote:

> I am still hoping to convince Watcom to let me release more of VX-REXX.

I hope so too.  As long as we don't ask for a release of the source
code, I don't understand why Watcom would say no.  Since they no
longer sell it, there would be no loss of potential income.  And since
they no longer support it, there would seem to be no additional cost
to Watcom.  Maybe I'm missing something.

--

John Small

(remove the z's for email address)

Mon, 10 Jan 2005 01:40:07 GMT
 VX-REXX Demo

Quote:

>> I am surprised that these directories are empty.   But may be that's how
>> Watcom intends it to be.   When I find the time, I will do a fresh install
>> from the demo package and take a look.

>When you zipped it up, did you use the recursion option (-r)?

There is no file in my installed reference copy.   I need to build a Warp 4
machine with earlier fixpaks and then run the demo install program again.
It won't take that long but I am just can't find the time to do it yet.

If somebody else would like to help, that would be great.

Quote:

>> I am still hoping to convince Watcom to let me release more of VX-REXX.

>I hope so too.  As long as we don't ask for a release of the source
>code, I don't understand why Watcom would say no.  Since they no
>longer sell it, there would be no loss of potential income.  And since
>they no longer support it, there would seem to be no additional cost
>to Watcom.  Maybe I'm missing something.

It's not the right approach.   Just because a company doesn't sell it doesn't
mean that they can let others do what they want.

Watcom have been very kind to the open source community (look at what they
did with their compilers).   Just have to take things one step at a time.

Mon, 10 Jan 2005 03:56:27 GMT

1. Vispro Rexx vs VX - Rexx

2. VX-REXX/REXX dialog trouble in OS/2 w/ FP17

3. VisPro/Rexx vs VX-REXX

4. VX-REXX to any REXX on NT

5. VisPro Rexx or VX-Rexx ?

6. Object REXX/VX-REXX DB problems

7. VX-REXX and Object REXX under OS/2

8. Object REXX & VX-REXX under OS/2

9. Creation of GIF/BMP with REXX and VX-REXX in OS/2

10. VX-REXX and Object-REXX

11. Is Vx-Rexx The Best Rexx Add-on ?

12. Object REXX and VX-REXX (Some questions)