Announce: regutil 1.1.10 and w32funcs 1.4.0
Author Message
 Announce: regutil 1.1.10 and w32funcs 1.4.0

Versions 1.4.0 of win 32 functions (w32funcs) and 1.1.10 of Rexx Util
for Regina (regutil) are now available.

w32funcs is a repackaging of the functions included with the regina port
from the NT resource kit, with some bug fixes, extensions, and some new
functions added.

The functions provide access to the windows registry, the NT event log,
the NT service control manager, the start menu, some windows parameters,
and a large set of applications through Automation (formerly known as
OLE Automation).

Version 1.4.0 includes two new functions contributed by Mark Hessling
which provide interfaces to the ShellExecuteEx API and a new function
which allows direct access to non-rexx-aware DLLs, with some
restrictions.

regutil is an implementation of IBM's rexxutil library, which is
intended to work with the Regina interpreter on Win32 and Unix
platforms. The last time I tried it, it was also binary-compatible with
Ian Collier's Rexx/IMC (it should be possible to recompile it to work
with any interpreter, but the commercial vendors tend to have their own,
more complete, implementations). It is not complete, but most of the
really useful functions are implemented.

Version 1.1.10 provides bug fixes to SysTempFileName and the
non-standard RegStemRead.

The packages are available from http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~ptjm.
--

Patrick TJ McPhee
East York  Canada

Sun, 19 Dec 2004 09:47:32 GMT
 Announce: regutil 1.1.10 and w32funcs 1.4.0

Quote:

> Version 1.4.0 includes two new functions contributed by Mark Hessling
> which provide interfaces to the ShellExecuteEx API and a new function
> which allows direct access to non-rexx-aware DLLs, with some
> restrictions.

This bit sounds VERY interesting, can you elaborate further? Does this
DLL work with IBM Object Rexx on Win32?

Thanks!

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems

Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:06:38 GMT
 Announce: regutil 1.1.10 and w32funcs 1.4.0

Quote:
> Versions 1.4.0 of win 32 functions (w32funcs) and 1.1.10 of Rexx
> Util for Regina (regutil) are now available.
[snip]

> The packages are available from http://www.interlog.com/~ptjm.
> --

> Patrick TJ McPhee
> East York  Canada

On my way to grab 'em now.  TIA !

Sun, 19 Dec 2004 23:14:37 GMT
 Announce: regutil 1.1.10 and w32funcs 1.4.0

Quote:
> Versions 1.4.0 of win 32 functions (w32funcs) and 1.1.10 of Rexx
> Util for Regina (regutil) are now available.

> The packages are available from http://www.interlog.com/~ptjm.
> --

FYI Patrick
As of 11:30 (UTC - 4:00)  2002-07-03 the link to  w32funcs is still
pointing to ver. 131.

Sun, 19 Dec 2004 23:20:12 GMT
 Announce: regutil 1.1.10 and w32funcs 1.4.0

% FYI Patrick
% As of 11:30 (UTC - 4:00)  2002-07-03 the link to  w32funcs is still
% pointing to ver. 131.

That must be because I'm a prat. Thanks, it ought to be OK now (whatever
time it is).

--

Patrick TJ McPhee
East York  Canada

Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:35:12 GMT
 Announce: regutil 1.1.10 and w32funcs 1.4.0

%
% > Version 1.4.0 includes two new functions contributed by Mark Hessling
% > which provide interfaces to the ShellExecuteEx API and a new function
% > which allows direct access to non-rexx-aware DLLs, with some
% > restrictions.
%
% This bit sounds VERY interesting, can you elaborate further? Does this
% DLL work with IBM Object Rexx on Win32?

It would need recompiling, but otherwise ought to work. I sometimes
think I should use Hessling's libraries for creating portable rexx
libraries, but then I don't.

Suppose you've got an application which doesn't have an OLE interface,
but does have a DLL interface. Say it provides x.dll, with function
y. The vendor says that y takes a null-terminated string and
an integer as an argument, does something to the application, and
returns an integer telling how well it did. With these new functions,
you might very well be able to do this:

  call w32funcadd 'y', 'x.dll', 'y', 'si'

and then later in your rexx program, use it as if it were a real
rexx function:

  rcc = y(myval, myint)

where myval could be anything and myint should really evaluate to an
integer.

On the other hand, if the DLL doesn't use the correct calling convention
(it's the convention used by the system DLLs on NT), it could just
crash when you try to use it.

What w32funcadd does is register a wrapper which follows the standard rexx
calling conventions, and when that wrapper gets called, it looks up the
argument information for whatever function is being called, sets up the
stack, and calls the function.

Aside from the calling convention, it comes with other limitations -- it
doesn't  handle structures directly, can only return integers, strings, and
pointers, and could use a lot more testing. Florian Grosse Coosmann has
a proposal for a standard interface for rexx interpreters which is
commanding some respect among vendors, including IBM, and I expect it
will make this function obsolete eventually.
--

Patrick TJ McPhee
East York  Canada

Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:53:13 GMT
 Announce: regutil 1.1.10 and w32funcs 1.4.0

Quote:

> Florian Grosse Coosmann has
> a proposal for a standard interface for rexx interpreters which is
> commanding some respect among vendors, including IBM, and I expect it
> will make this function obsolete eventually.

I remembered that being posted, so I wondered if it was an
implementation of his work, or something like that.

I take it your call would work great for DLL calls that take no params,
hua?! <g> Lockup the WinNT screen API comes to mind as being like that.
Basically, if I see a batch program doing a RunDLL call, then Rexx
should be able to do it as well since batch can not do structures and
such either, right?

OK, since I need to recompile for ORexx:
1) Is the source in the zip file so I may do so
2) What compiler is your code set up for. (I code in Rexx so I don't
have to code in C, so I will attempt to copy your environemnt as much as
possible, try for quick success, and either get it or throw in the towel
and stick to my Rexx!)

Thanks!

--
Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems

Mon, 20 Dec 2004 21:12:44 GMT
 Announce: regutil 1.1.10 and w32funcs 1.4.0

% I take it your call would work great for DLL calls that take no params,
% hua?! <g> Lockup the WinNT screen API comes to mind as being like that.

I'd like to think so.

% Basically, if I see a batch program doing a RunDLL call, then Rexx
% should be able to do it as well since batch can not do structures and
% such either, right?

Not sure, but it's always possible.

% OK, since I need to recompile for ORexx:
% 1) Is the source in the zip file so I may do so
% 2) What compiler is your code set up for. (I code in Rexx so I don't

The source is there. I use microsoft visual C/C++ 5.0, but have included
a make file for the minGW version of gcc. I have had mixed results with
gcc, and come to think of it, this code relies on embedded assembler
using microsoft's syntax, so it definitely won't work with the gcc version.

It might work with another compiler which embeds assembler the same way
as MS's. There was a rumour that the command-line tools for this version
of msvc are available for download from microsoft's developer site. If
so, it should be just a matter of changing the library from regina.lib
to rexxsaa.lib or whatever ibm calls it and typing nmake.
--

Patrick TJ McPhee
East York  Canada

Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:38:54 GMT

1. Announce: regutil 1.2.0 and w32funcs 1.5.0

2. Announce: w32funcs 1.2.1 and regutil 1.1.0

3. new versions of regutil & w32funcs

4. Announce: w32funcs 1.3.0

5. Announce: w32funcs version 1.2.3

6. Announce: w32funcs 1.2.0