Object REXX & VX-REXX under OS/2
Author Message
 Object REXX & VX-REXX under OS/2

Hi:

I have some VX-REXX programs (PGP Tools, Jasmine FTP, Webwriter) that
break when using Object REXX with OS/2 (work fine with Classic REXX).
Does anybody have any knowledge about what fixes are required to
VX-REXX to enable it to work with Object REXX?

Thanks for any info.

--
Simon Wright
diver 0 6 at attglobal dot net

Mon, 29 Dec 2003 15:35:17 GMT
 Object REXX & VX-REXX under OS/2

Quote:

>I have some VX-REXX programs (PGP Tools, Jasmine FTP, Webwriter) that
>break when using Object REXX with OS/2 (work fine with Classic REXX).
>Does anybody have any knowledge about what fixes are required to
>VX-REXX to enable it to work with Object REXX?

If you have the source code then you need to find which lines are not
compatible with ORexx and correct them. If you dont have the source
then try to contact the authors.

--
(To email me, replace the .com with .gr)
t H.I.C. & D.B.S. t OS/2 Warp t Hellas t

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 06:28:50 GMT
 Object REXX & VX-REXX under OS/2

Quote:

> >I have some VX-REXX programs (PGP Tools, Jasmine FTP, Webwriter) that
> >break when using Object REXX with OS/2 (work fine with Classic REXX).
> >Does anybody have any knowledge about what fixes are required to
> >VX-REXX to enable it to work with Object REXX?

> If you have the source code then you need to find which lines are not
> compatible with ORexx and correct them. If you dont have the source
> then try to contact the authors.

Object Rexx *is* compatible to classic Rexx, but refuses to run erroneous Rexx
programs:

    Object Rexx (and Regina for that matter) behave differently from classic Rexx in
    one respect: before executing a Rexx program the interpreter checks for syntax
    errors. If there is a syntax error, an error message is raised and the program is not
    run. (This behaviour is intended for your own security: if there is a syntax error
    (mostly a/n omitted/missing END) you could always hit it, even after years.)

Therefore, if you have the source, check for syntax errors and correct them
(with Object Rexx you could issue "rexxc pgm.cmd" which merely checks for
syntax errors without executing the Rexx program). If you don't then you'd need
to contact the authors of the software.

---rony

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:39:15 GMT
 Object REXX & VX-REXX under OS/2

Quote:

>Object Rexx *is* compatible to classic Rexx, but refuses to run erroneous Rexx
>programs:

thats what i ment with 'compatible'.

--
(To email me, replace the .com with .gr)
t H.I.C. & D.B.S. t OS/2 Warp t Hellas t
t ServerConfig t ConfigEdit t OS/2 UK UG t
t Live fast, die young, and leave a handsome corpse. t

Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:51:18 GMT

1. VX-REXX and Object REXX under OS/2

2. VX-REXX/REXX dialog trouble in OS/2 w/ FP17

3. Creation of GIF/BMP with REXX and VX-REXX in OS/2

4. Object REXX/VX-REXX DB problems

5. VX-REXX and Object-REXX

6. Object REXX and VX-REXX (Some questions)

7. VX-REXX vs. Object Rexx

8. VX-rexx and Object rexx

9. VXRexx and Object Rexx for OS/2 incompatiblity?

10. VX-REXX & OS/2 Clipboard

11. OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT

12. OS/2 Rexx port to Object Rexx for NT