Rexx2Nrx (the classic Rexx to NetRexx converter) release notes / issues
Author Message
 Rexx2Nrx (the classic Rexx to NetRexx converter) release notes / issues

Hello there,

   I've just uploaded prerelease 9 of vs. 3.02 to my home-page
www.rexx2nrx.com.

   This release fixes again some troubles in the 'type-detection
algorithms' (which, meanwhile, seem to be
the most complicated tasks in a language like Rexx..) ... and ...

   ... It introduces the Java Class builder.

As a reminder:

    In IBM compiled Rexx, you may have %INCLUDED files (a feature I
always missed in the various REXX
Interpreters I've used so far).

Now, when Rexx2Nrx encounters a /*%INCLUDE module */ phrase, and a
Java class 'module.class'
exists in your working directory or class-path, then the INCLUDE
statement is bypassed and your
Java class 'becomes USED' (with all the public properties/method names
expanded to reference the proper classes automatically)..

This feature does allow you to translate your function packages
'BOTTOM UP', building classes for each set of related INCLUDE files
from bottom to top. As NetRexx and Java reject to compile a file if
the referenced functions are not yet available as compiled classes,
this feature might be handy for more complex multi-layered Rexx
programs.

I'm currently actually boots-trapping my parser and translator again
this way, and hence you are getting
those frequent messages of new pre-releases. But, in addition, the
run-time library becomes improved ...

I would appreciate any feedback / discussion to the whole methodology
involved.

Does Rexx2Nrx solve any real user requirements, or do you consider it
to be just 'a nice toy' ? If you've tried it, what have been the
pitfalls? Any success stories ? what is missing to resolve your
requirements ?

Thanks in advance for any replies / suggestions I get. Also, any
comments for the Runtime package
routines are welcome.

have a nice weekend, and best regards,
Thomas Schneider.

Wed, 01 Dec 2004 01:35:25 GMT
 Rexx2Nrx (the classic Rexx to NetRexx converter) release notes / issues
I have now uploaded Rexx2Nrx vs 3.02 pre 10 to my home page
www.Rexx2Nrx.com

With this release, functions (methods) of the Run-time package and the
current directory are automatically loaded, even when no %INCLUDE or
%REQUIRES clause is present.

Also, the visible (public static) Fields may be used with their short
names
(i.e. without explicitely naming the referenced class).

Hope this is helpful.

best regards, Tom.

Mon, 06 Dec 2004 00:41:32 GMT
 Rexx2Nrx (the classic Rexx to NetRexx converter) release notes / issues
Do you have any working experiences with Rexx2Nrx? Any bug reports ?
Your help in the beta test of vs. 3.02 would be more than welcome!

Thanks in advance, Tom.

Sun, 12 Dec 2004 00:27:12 GMT
 Rexx2Nrx (the classic Rexx to NetRexx converter) release notes / issues

Quote:

> Do you have any working experiences with Rexx2Nrx? Any bug reports ?
> Your help in the beta test of vs. 3.02 would be more than welcome!

> Thanks in advance, Tom.

Hello there,
  I am currently preparing the final release of Rexx2Nrx vs 3.02.
  This release will NOT yet have the final 'Class Builder', as I am
still working on this, but it should be a 'stable' version for your
ongoing use.
The 'Class Builder' is still in an 'experimental stage'. You can
invoke it with
OPTION BUILD. (Rexx2Nrx ... -BUILD).

I do have 2 questions currently:

1.) for the RUN-Time-Package routines (Rexx2Nrx.Rexx2RT.jar)
    ... did you encounter any bugs?
    ... any still missing functions ?
    ... is the performance (especially of Rexx2Nrx.Rexx2RT.RexxFile)
ok ?

2.) for the Converter:
    ... any pending bugs ?

please sand a mail with your testcase(s) to me ASAP when desired.

Thanks in advance, Tom.

Sun, 26 Dec 2004 01:21:02 GMT
 Rexx2Nrx (the classic Rexx to NetRexx converter) release notes / issues
Hello there,

   I have just uploaded Rexx2Nrx vs 3.02.27 to my home-page. The DEMO
time slice has been expanded until 01.09.2002.

  Any feedbacks of trial users will be welcome.

  As my next step, I will update the online docu and the users guide
to document the various options available to drive the conversion
efforts - with annotated examples, of course.

By the way, do you think I should go shareware and&or open source ??

I did already get some 800 accesses on my home page the past month,
but no sold licences. Hence the whole effort is maybe useless, or what
?

anyway, best regards from less stormy Vienna, Tom.

Wed, 05 Jan 2005 02:25:24 GMT

1. Classic Rexx to NetRexx

2. Rexx in NetRexx ? (was Re: NetRexx

3. Rexx2Nrx release 5.00::== IBM Object Rexx ==> Netrexx and Java

4. REXX, Object REXX, NetREXX (, java?)

5. Learning Rexx or Object rexx (netrexx)

6. Rexx2Nrx release 4.01

7. Rexx2Nrx release 4.00 beta 22

8. Rexx2Nrx release 4.0

9. Rexx2Nrx vs 3.02 pre-release 7

10. Introducing Rexx2Nrx to the world of REXX users.

11. Rexx2Nrx release 3.01 run-time package - documentation update

12. Classic Rexx vs. Object Rexx