Invoking Rexx from Java
Author Message
 Invoking Rexx from Java

I know that Prof Rony Fletcher (and his student) did a project of invoking
Java classes from Rexx.   Has anybody done the other way around - having Java
invoke Rexx callable dlls?   There are people looking to use Simplicity for
Java as a development tool and wants some WPS and OS/2 features.   It would
seen like the easiest is to have Java JNI invoke a Rexx callable DLL, right?

Sun, 12 Dec 2004 01:28:49 GMT
 Invoking Rexx from Java
Kim:

Quote:
> I know that Prof Rony Fletcher (and his student) did a project of invoking
> Java classes from Rexx.   Has anybody done the other way around - having Java
> invoke Rexx callable dlls?   There are people looking to use Simplicity for
> Java as a development tool and wants some WPS and OS/2 features.   It would
> seen like the easiest is to have Java JNI invoke a Rexx callable DLL, right?

That's *exactly* what happens in bsf4rexx!
(Rexx is invoked by Java via JNI.)

As the entire package is available as open source, people can look it up.

Nevertheless, should there be questions/remarks with regards to bsf4rexx
then just post them here, o.k. ?

Regards,

---rony

Sun, 12 Dec 2004 06:00:22 GMT
 Invoking Rexx from Java
Hello there,

You should probably have a look at NetRexx to solve your needs. As
NetRexx
generates Java Code, those two languages are compatible. For details
of NetRexx, have a look at M.F.Cowlishaws home page.

For your Rexx Code, you might want to have a look at 'Rexx2Nrx', the
'classic
Rexx to NetRexx converter'. This tool does allow you to convert your
classic Rexx programs to Java classes, and thus make them callable
from Java!.

You'll find details at www.Rexx2Nrx.com.

In the Rexx2Nrx Run-Time package there is a Java class 'SysCmd' which
does allow you to execute system Commands from Java.

Syntax is

   rc=SysCmd.cmd('REXX program.REXX')

for instance (where 'program.REXX' contains your classic Rexx Program)
Hope this helps, Tom.

Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:53:43 GMT

1. Can JRuby invoke Java APIs??

2. using "INVOKE" to mimic Java Interfaces

3. invoke JACL(tcl) script from the java command

4. REXX, Object REXX, NetREXX (, java?)

5. Invoking SysOpenObject() in REXX

6. REXX on NT invoking external programs

7. Invoking DSNUTILB from Rexx

8. Invoking SCLM Services from REXX

9. Rexx String Class in Java?

10. Object REXX /C++/C/Smalltalk/Java