V format ftp to non-IBM system
Author Message
 V format ftp to non-IBM system

G'Day, Joseph :)

Yes, I've seen this done by Micro Focus (COBOL Workbench - VRECGEN.CBL) for
transferring variable length MVS datasets to the PC. It consists of a
pre-process and a post-process step: the pre-process step (pre-ftp, in your
case) would read the v-file and create a new v-file in which the record
descriptor word (RDW) is stored as data. You can then transmit the new file,
losing the current RDW in the process; you don't care because the real RDW is
part of the record. The post-process reconstitutes the original file format.
Yeah, it's a bit of a hack, but it works.

JRS